I'm looking to buy a half-stack, I need some advice on what head to buy. I was looking at the Line 6 Spider II HD, but I've heard some bad things about Spider II Heads.

Mainly, I play metal, I need a good distortion (though I do have my Death Metal Distortion pedal ), but also need a good clean and overdrive sound. Something with some effects would be nice too.

Also, any recomendations for a good cab would also be nice. Remember, nothing extremely expensive - I am a little short of cash.

Thanks.
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
The head from your girlfriend or sister depends what kind of guy you are. I nearly bought one of them about two months ago but i decided to save that bit extra and buy the Marshall TSL100 and it's worth it.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
i wouldn't recommend a halfstack, how big is your budget? im gonna recommend a nice tube combo. Peavy valveking 2x12 is like 600 i think and if you need more gain a overdrive pedal. but if your budget is around 1000 than maybe a peavy 6505 2x12 but the cleans supposidly blow
Quote by xsynysterx06
adio_stack...i love you.
im not homo..

Quote by RideTheAnger13
lmao, omg, Adio, you have the best avatar known to man!
Quote by BodaciousBob
The head from your girlfriend or sister depends what kind of guy you are. I nearly bought one of them about two months ago but i decided to save that bit extra and buy the Marshall TSL100 and it's worth it.

I wish I could, but the things is:

My dad just isn't into the whole "Let me save up and buy something". I have the money to buy a Krank amp, but I can't. I would love too, but sadly, I can't. I need something around 500-700, I know it's a big rough, but any recomendations for a good amp about that price would be fine. Like I said, good distortion, with a decent clean.

Thanks, though
"We are not concerned with motive, with higher ethics. We are concerned only with cutting down crime-."
Don't tell him then =P
Not sure. Anything with tubes. Just don't bother with solid states. Don't go hybrid either.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
But the moneys in an account under his name.

He thinks, dishing out 600 on an amp is too much, because I'm only 14. I've been playing for 2 years on the same amp, and want to buy something good. Made sense to me
I bought the TSL because i know if i buy this. I probally won't ever need to buy another amp. It's a long term investment like a good car. Try and explain this to him.

Bodacious Bob

Schecter Omen 7 Extreme
Ibanez RGR08LTD BK
Behringer TU-100
EHX Metal Muff
Boss MT-2
GLX EQ-100
Marshall VS15

Quote by tpot06
Bodacious bob wins all.
i laughed.

yeah so its not really your money then?

ok well just get a combo. if your dad has "your" money in his bank account then you dont need a halfstack anyway
GEAR:

Amps:
Vox AC30cc1
Peavey Transtube 112

Guitars:
Powerhouse strat with 3 lace sensors
Martin D16-GT

Pedals:
DD20
Crybaby Classic
Pro Co Rat 2
Phase 90
yeah id wait a few years on a half stack, you dont need one unless you are actively gigging (theres a lot of people here that say you dont even need one then, but i think thats bullshit) but yeah, if you go used you might be able to pick up a 50 watt DSL head or something.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
thanks for the advice guys.
Just buy a combo, you don't need a halfstack.
5150 combos go quite cheap on eBay.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Are you gigging or just fiddling around?

You don't necessarily need a half stack to fulfill your duties. A tube combo is just right though.
Since your budget is around $700, try getting the Fender Hot Rod.
Sent from my iPad.
So combo amp, you say?

What would be the top two or three for metal? Is the 5150 good for it?
Last edited by pHaKe at Sep 24, 2006,
thanks for the info _Sanitarium_

...fucker
If you need it under 600 and you want to go with a new amp..and you need it to be a half stack

Try out a Randall RG100, the cleans are pretty good, and the distortion wasn't to bad either
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah