Well I thought Id post it in the Riff & Recording forum, but I know the guys in this forum a little better so Id thought id get your help

Well Im looking to create a whole home studio over the next year or so (as I come up with money), and basically, im a total noob when it comes to the recording process. I will be using this to record with my band aswell.

Heres what I want to do:

Mic the guitar amps (I have no clue how to properly do it, what mics to use, placement ECT)
Mic the drums (Once again, not completely sure how)
Record vocals (Well obviously that goes through the mic, but brings me to the next thing)

I know this will have to go into a Mixer of some type, basically, how many track mixer will I need to do this? Ill have 2 guitars, 1 drum set, 1 bass, and vocals with at least 1 backup mic.

But then also, I know people use a interface on the computer. Ive used Adobe Audition before, and I liked it, so will this be useable for my recordin and mixing and such.

So how do I mic all this, and eventually get all these tracks into the computer, where I can edit it and eventually have a finished song. Mind you, Im not sure of very many good equipment, and Im not super rich, so something affordable would be great. If someone can explain the process to me, it will be very, very appreciated.

I did look at that super recording thread in the Recording forum but it didnt really have any info?
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
Well, you have a few choices, each of different quality and price.

You could run a mixer into the line in of your computer...the easiest, but IMO, not the best way to do this. Most mixers will run everything onto a single track....what you record is exactly how it stays.

Next would be interfaces. I prefer firewire here, as there is no latency, and the quality if superior to anything out there. You could get a firewire interface, or mixer, which will run into your computer (via firewire port) as seperate tracks, for further editting later.

I used a Mackie ONYX 400F.....8 channel interface...4 with preamps. We multi track, and I need to use a preamp for 2 of the drummer's mics.

Guitar Mic: Shure SM57
Drum mics: the shure kit is amazing, but pricey. There are cheaper options, but you will need to EQ the mics to get a good sound out of them. This means more preamps.
Vocals: A condensor mic of some sort woluld do well, and it can also be used for drums and guitar later.

Anything else you need, feel free to PM me. I recently built my own setup, and it is working like a charm!
Alright thanks man, that was helpful, ill definately PM you on some stuff, just to clear stuff up.
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT