Would a 30 Watt Tube amp be loud enough to do small gigs and such???
thats really all I have to ask and if not how much tube wattage would I need to do small gigs?
3no man, you need like 200 watts, if half of your audience isnt permanently deafened at your gigs then youve failed as a musician. Actually 30 watts of tube power should be just fine.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
^ i agree, the more deaf, the better, then they cant hear your sh*tty music. LAWLZ
Founder of the Trombone>Sax>all club, pm me my fellow 'boners!!

we hit harder than anyone else. Ug's lacrosse club, pm me or hrdcorelaxplaya to join!
My 30 watt tube 1x12 takes down my friends solid state 2x12 with a power rating of like... 100 watts. Haha.
ya 30 watt tube will do just fine.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
will if they mic the amp you can use a 5 watt, if they don't thats sounds loud enough to me, because tube= 2.5x louder that solid state, and i playeda showq with a 50 watt SS, but they miced the amp but even without the micing i think it would of been fine because the volewas at about 1
Gear:
Hamer Californian
Ibanez RG470
Ibanez RG120
Ibanez V
Crate 15 watt
Marshall 50DFX
Boss MT-2 Metal Zone pedal
"Member of The Straight Edge Club. PM danzig-_- to join."
No dude, my 40watt Marshall won't be enough for the people next door to hear my jamming !!! u need alot more.. like 100 - 150
Who cares...
Hey, I was wondering that same question myself... me and my friend wanna play out sometime, but I'm not sure if my Fender Frontman 25R amp will do it... 25 watts obviously

I play a mexican Fender Fat Stratocaster and a VOX V847 Wah Wah pedal in case that helps...
And my amp rumbles the floor if its on the volume level 3 out of 10 and the people two floors down can hear me...
Quote by guitarkid2113
Hey, I was wondering that same question myself... me and my friend wanna play out sometime, but I'm not sure if my Fender Frontman 25R amp will do it... 25 watts obviously

I play a mexican Fender Fat Stratocaster and a VOX V847 Wah Wah pedal in case that helps...

No it wouldnt be loud enough for getting over drums or playing shows.
George W. Bush for President 2012

We can do it if we work together!
Your frontman is an SS amp. We're talking about tube amps.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Quote by XNeo```
No dude, my 40watt Marshall won't be enough for the people next door to hear my jamming !!! u need alot more.. like 100 - 150

I have some feeling youre an idiot, youre using an SS amp, probably an MG, and you have no clue what we're talking about. I just have that feeling you know? 30 watts tube should be cutting it close, 50W would be on the safe side.
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
Quote by XNeo```

Dude no way! My Triple Rectifier halfstack is so0o0o0o dimed when I play at coffee shops! AND THATS NOT EVEN WITH A DRUMMER! Id SERIOUSLY say you need like 400-695watts!!! ALL TUBE! And that might be cutting it...
^no..you need around 40 minimum.
Behringerv-tone(first guitar)
Epiphone les paul standard plus (cherry burst)
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

I like Epi LP's. You got a problem, PM me!
nuh uH! no wayz! 908435908435watts all tube minimum. With no less than forty-three 75" speakers.

edit- I strongly hope you know Im BS'ing...
Quote by XNeo```

This is tube, not Solid State.

A 30 watt tube amp would do really well in a gig, not to mention that Tube amps sound wayyyyy better as well. What amp do you use by the way?
Sent from my iPad.

Yeah, anything too big for your 30w amp should have an in-house PA system to mic it up to. If they don't, then they suck, and you don't wanna play there.
These go to eleven...
Can you like change an SS amp to a tube amp? (I don't know much about amps so yeah, don't bust on me)
No,

The electronics are vastly different, you could get an external tube preamp and it would help your tone a bit

But to change a SS to a tube amp, impossible as far as I know
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
Digitech HotRod
BBE Sonic Stomp
Last edited by Apok at Sep 24, 2006,
Quote by JimPlaysGuitar
*image cut*

Yeah, anything too big for your 30w amp should have an in-house PA system to mic it up to. If they don't, then they suck, and you don't wanna play there.

Best. Post. Ever.

EDIT: inspired me to make my own:
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Last edited by xifr at Sep 24, 2006,
What about.............. Ted Nugent ??
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
It will work, but mind you it sounds HORRID when turned up loud. Trust me, i have it.
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
Quote by paintITblack39
This is tube, not Solid State.

A 30 watt tube amp would do really well in a gig, not to mention that Tube amps sound wayyyyy better as well. What amp do you use by the way?

Well I'm saving up some money and I saw this beautiful amp yesterday and I was wondering if it be loud enough
Can you change a Solid State amp into a tube amp? Can't you buy tube stacks online or something? Help?
Oh wait nevermind. I get it, don't they just mic the amp and put it through the sound system or PA?
You *can* change a solid state to tube, but you have to rip out the whole amp and build a tube amp from scratch. It's cheaper and easier to buy a tube amp from the start

30 is fine.
And for those bitching about the volume difference between 30 and 40 tube watts, it's barely audible. It sounds almost the same.

I own an 18 watt tube, a 30 watt tube, and a 50 watt tube.
The volume step up is very slow. You could easily play a coffee shop with a 15 watt tube. It's loud. The only problem is that when you turn it up you don't really have any headroom anymore. My 30 watt would work very well for a small gig. My 50 watt isn't very much louder than my 30 watt.

IIRC you need like 10x the wattage to double the actual audible level coming from your amp.

And in terms of SS-tube volume, SS is WAY quieter. IMO you need 100 watts solid state to do small gigs. My 30 watt tube is much louder than my 65 watt SS was.
I'm not very active here on UG currently.
I'm a retired Supermod off to the greener pastures of the real world.
Quote by juniorfr3ak
Well I'm saving up some money and I saw this beautiful amp yesterday and I was wondering if it be loud enough

What's the amp called. Is it the Vox AC30? Because I'm saving my money to buy that one.
Sent from my iPad.