haha. sheet music is necessary for everything. if you truely want to be an accomplished guitarist, then you need to be able to read sheet music well.
its necessary if your going to go to college for music, are you planning on doing music for a career probably?
yes, but not for guitar. i can for everything else-literally. bass clef, treble clef, sax, french horn.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Necessary? Naw, not really.

I read it though. To be a well-rounded musician it's a must-be-able to do thing though.

Hey guys! I just started playing electric guitar should I get a Gabson Lay Pall or a Femdor Startokaster. I like the picks on the gabsons but i like how sweet femdors look. Beforre i get a gabson what company makes them?
^agreed.

or to rephrase that, to play an instrument besides guitar reading music is needed. I know from piano + euphonium.

And no, if you are just playing guitar you dont really need to know how but you still need to learn the notes on the board and theory IMO
I think it helps with scales. Especially exotic scales. I think its worth it.
Quote by apocalypse13

Quote by Beckerism
I ain't ghetto foo! I's just keeping it real!

Keep it real man.
Click.
yes i think it's helpful but not neccesary to shred.
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.
[Practice Makes Perfect][Hell Yeah]
I can, but VERY very slowly.
Please vote for my band in a demo competition by clicking
here, pressing the button that says "Gi din stemme" and then connecting to facebook! Thanks a lot!
Necessary? I dont think its necessary but its handy and good to know.

As for me, i too can read, but ridiculously slow...
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
^Yes he can, he had a teacher, and teachers always teach you to read music cuz thats the first thing you need to know before you even pick up an instrument. Paul just plays by ear because he's way better at it.
Yes i can read sheet but i dont use it for shred, i like to re-write passages in treble cleft, purely becuase it looks pretty awesome and helps with writing in general. But its just soo much easier to learn shred pieces in tab.
Quote by TheUltimateSin
I'd strongly recommend it. It's always handy and useful to be able to

Exactamundo! Plus to get the basic grasp of the stave/staff doesn't take that much effort(that includes both clefs)...
'At its best, it represents total freedom of musical expression, unfettered by technical limitations.'-Guthrie Govan on shredding
I know Becker and Gilbert can't read it. Gilbert can kinda but becker can't sight read to save his life.
Quote by Freepower

B) Think. This may be hard if you havent done it before, so start slow and with a metronome.

Quote by Punk Poser
What's in my wallet:
Broken Dreams, crushed oppurtinitues, and an old condom.

Quote by PooKoo
well, we are pricks, but were arrogant, not ignorant.
^ Sight-reading and being able to read sheet music are two completely different things.
My God, it's full of stars!
I can sight read moderatly well. I only ever use it for the classical guitar, though.
Bill and Ted Fan Club Member #3. PM ollerom_mot or me to join.

"Let the Spirit guide your fingers."
Quote by Midnight 260
I know Becker and Gilbert can't read it. Gilbert can kinda but becker can't sight read to save his life.

Becker can
Gilbert could after GIT

Becker composed some stuff and wrote it down in notation and im assuming if you can write it you could read it. That being said he cant read it well
^

I'll post my Beethoven Piece that I learned for my last grade(7) for Piano, it's one of the moonlight sonata's. Or you should see Philip Martin's pieces,he only publishes the handwriten sheets of his music. Staccato's are so ridiculously hard to see when wrote with a biro on a stave its laughable!
'At its best, it represents total freedom of musical expression, unfettered by technical limitations.'-Guthrie Govan on shredding
I can, but because my eyes focus alot slower than an average persons, I can't sight read at all. It's just impossible for me.

One of the wonderful things about having had a severely detached retina and a variable muscle imbalance. I also only see in 2 dimensions.
My name is Tom, feel free to use it.
I can read sheet music but only because i learned a different instrument for school before the guitar came along.
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Definately learn to read. I've been told i'm the best sightreader in my guitar class but thats not saying much cause we all suck at it. I guess its mainly because we've been working on joe pass solos lately, ya, that might have simething to do with it.
Quote by bearded_monkey
Everytime I go into the guitar shop and ask for a G-String the shopkeeper always makes that TERRIBLE joke about it not being an underwear shop

So next time I go in I'm gonna ask for a thong
i can sight read but only up to the 5th fret. can't play stuff higher up, need more practice
--------------------------------------------------------
i can read it, i learned to for music theory, it takes me awhile though.
Quote by Prophet of Page
If Hendrix, Clapton and Page were to jam, the most impressive guitarist playing would be Paul Gilbert.

Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

member of the Mitch Hedberg pwns club pm Knives490 to join