I would like to lower the action on my 1980 Gibson SG Firebrand(Discontinued) but I dont know how and I dont want to screw it up becasue it is VINTAGE. So what is a safe way to lower the action?
Member #4 of the iPods Suck Balls Club.
PM Oblivious16037 to join!

Quote by basssoldier
when i was 7 i saw my mom naked while taking a sh** it was pretty sick cuz shes fat....

Quote by Soul Power
Your my hero dementedpuppy.

Last.fm
POOP
The worst that can happen is string buzz, it can always be re-adjusted. Just lower it and figure it out on your own.
It wont bow the neck?

Quote by basssoldier
when i was 7 i saw my mom naked while taking a sh** it was pretty sick cuz shes fat....

Quote by Soul Power

Last.fm
POOP
Well how do I lower it?

Quote by basssoldier

Quote by Soul Power

Last.fm
POOP
there are two screws under the part of the bridge that the strings rest on. wether you highten them or lower them will highten or lower the "action". adjusting it properly is tricky you bassicly shouldn't have any string buzz (strings vibrating against the frets).

looen the top screws. then ull be able to move the thumbwheel pointed to be red arrows.
that moves the bridge up and down.

logs pic
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
I would say the safest way is to go to your local store and get it set up and ask the guy to get the action as low as possible without buzz. It doesnt sound like your to confident in doing it, which is fine, im not comfortable screwing around on something I just dropped $1500(fender clapton sig strat) for so take it to a pro man. I'd do it on my crap strat copy but not on my blackie
Quote by King ofKumbucha
What is plexi? Do you mean a guitar made out of plexiglass?
Quote by giorgio1210
I would say the safest way is to go to your local store and get it set up and ask the guy to get the action as low as possible without buzz. It doesnt sound like your to confident in doing it, which is fine, im not comfortable screwing around on something I just dropped $1500(fender clapton sig strat) for so take it to a pro man. I'd do it on my crap strat copy but not on my blackie

well on blackie,

these two screws move each string up and down. u CANT mess anything up.
ur just moving a string up and down.

as for intonation, are you going to take it in to a shop everytime it's a little out of tune at the 12th?

if u can tune ur guitar. u can intonate it.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

i dont suppose you could post a picture of your guitar. . .

that would really help me ummm. . . like. . . tell you how to change the action. . .

Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by Cloberman
It costs about 50$
You call your guitar blackie?

its the clapton sig strat, in black. He nicknamed his blackie so on the black versions of his sig guitar it says blackie on the headstock

and jenny doesnt adjusting action screw with intonation? and if I raise the action its gonna be really high
Quote by King ofKumbucha
Last edited by giorgio1210 at Sep 26, 2006,
im not say that u Should adjust the action. im saying that if u wanted to or needed to for some reason, it's not going to break ur guitar.

and yeah when ever you adjust anything on ur guitar, u should check the intonation, but u cant bring exactly it to the shop after every string change.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62

yea but im gonna get it setup cause I just bought it and it needs it anyways, I put my strings on but I'd rather let someone more experienced handle intonation and adjusting the trussrod and stuff
Quote by King ofKumbucha