Im a metalhead and I do not like breakdowns
28 14%
I like some metal and I like breakdowns
20 10%
I like men
37 18%
Voters: 207.
Page 1 of 3
Im doing a little survey here, Metal music isnt known for breakdowns but there are breakdowns in metal. Pantera, Metallica(One, And Justice For all etc....) Soilwork, In flames and then theye is the disputable modern metalcore music which by definition is more hardcore then metal in UG(I disagree personally) but those are the rules so lets try to stay away from that aspect.

So as a metalhead, do you like breakdowns?
Originally posted by J_Dizzle
THAAAANK YOU GoodCharloteSux is god
Last edited by GoodCharloteSux at Sep 23, 2006,
I do, but I might not be a metalhead. I'm gonna go with yes just because you can have more than the hardcore style breakdown like Master of puppets acoustic breakdown
I'm a metalhead and I enjoy the occasional breakdown...it's not a thing I hear very much. The only ones that come to mind really are some CoB breakdown and I like them, but when they're overused (hardcore, metalcore) I can't stand it. A breakdown should be exactly what it sounds like, a break in the song to slow down and just rock your head.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
4th option.

but on a serious and true note, yeah I like breakdown every now and then. just as long they don't over do it into every song. Like Pantera's This Love, SikTh's Bland Street Bloom, Slayer's Angel of Death...
the song reflecting my decent by naildown has the best breakdown ever with the keyboard right before the solo.
I like some breakdowns. My favorite breakdown is the one in Cryptopsy's Slit Your Guts
Doesn't really bother me. Just as long as it isn't long a boring.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
It depends on how it's done. For the most part, I don't like breakdowns simply because they are boring and just chugging away on one chord for awhile is pointless (there are some exceptions).
Quote by xxgenocide98xx
So if balding people are the devil, your grandpa is satan's right hand man? Apparantly, the older we get, the more kvlt we are.

Founder of the Del tha funky homosapien club. pm me to join
Quote by Gman400
A breakdown should be exactly what it sounds like, a break in the song to slow down and just rock your head.
For me to like a breakdown, it must be completely phenomenal (read: Nevermore, Cryptopsy breakdowns)
I like them if they are done tastefully and not just for the sake of having a breakdown.
Quote by Embodiment
I like men.
I like breakdowns sometimes, if they fit the song.

I'm a girl.
I'm a man!
Quote by <><
I'm a man!

So...they exist?! They're not fictional characters with magical things called 'penis'?
Breakdowns are great as long as they aren't the crap ones that are nothing but one long long section of ONE palm muted note for 30 seconds....I get SOOO tired of those.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by Embodiment
So...they exist?! They're not fictional characters with magical things called 'penis'?
Actually, mine is pretty magical.

Marry me!!
Quote by <><
Yeah... And magic isn't real; it's non-existent, one might say.

I like breakdowns to an extent. If they're too dragged out, it just bores me. That's more or less what everyone has said, I think.
SUPER BOWL XLVIII
D E N V E R B R O N C O S vs. S E A T T L E S E A H A W K S
Quote by SGRocker0791
Woot, the Metal forum isn't a total sasuage fest after all!

Nope I have been lurking here for a while since it's my favorite forum but I usually don't know what to post so I just read.
Quote by <><

Marry me!!

How so? Is it invisible? Or can it appear and disapper?
Horray for internet marriage!
5 Have voted I like Men...........must be UG after all.

And breakdowns have to be well done and put for them to be cool, for example check out the song Bloodshed By Supreme....at exatly 1:30 Click Me of it, if that isnt a good breakdown then there is no such thing as a good breakdown.
- Treat people the way you would like to be treated.
- Don't do to others what you wouldn't like others to do to you.
- Live and let live.
- Always tell the truth.
- If someone looks at you, just give them a nice smile they won't soon forget
Quote by Embodiment
How so? Is it invisible? Or can it appear and disapper?
More like...it has special powers.

You know the movie Bruce Almighty? Remember the scene where he's going "PLEASUUUURE"...well, the effects of its magicalness are similar to that.
It depends. I hate hardcore breakdowns with one powerchord and a basic rhythm, but Angel of Death sort of things I do like.
I love breakdowns, it gets kinda boring when you just have verse/chorus/verse/chorus/solo/chorus. Even if you mix it up and add in a bridge riff its always good to have a breakdown.
I never liked metalcore, but some of the heavy deathcore type bands are ok, however, breakdowns all sound the same (hardcore/metalcore) so even if I think, "hmm thats alright" to one, everyother mealcore band has an identical breakdown on every song, plus scene kids dance to them at gigs so no, i do not like breakdowns
Quote by SickMetal
It depends. I hate hardcore breakdowns with one powerchord and a basic rhythm, but Angel of Death sort of things I do like.

+1
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
I don't like them when they're just standard parts of every song, but I love a good breakdown.
I like it when they're done well and not too boring and persistent. Breakdowns in Deathcore and Brutal Death tend to be done the best.

Beneath The Massacre, Guttural Secrete, Devourment, Wormed, Despised Icon, All Shall Perish (especially There is no Business to be done on a Dead Planet).

EDIT: The link that SorrowIsMe is a perfect example of a good Brutal Death breakdown.
Last edited by BR00TAL at Sep 24, 2006,
I can appreciate a good breakdown. Sometimes they're my favorite part of the song (Deconstruction by All Shall Perish, Domination by Pantera, Justifiable Homicide by Dying Fetus) But I'm pretty tired of the stereotypical metalcore breakdown, they get very boring.

What I hate is ****ing scene kids who just stand around and wait for breakdowns so they can dance. It's not about how good or bad the music is to them, just if they can dance to it.
Ride the dragon toward the crimson eye...

Vaginal Destruction

^ Do you like sludgey stoner/doom? Well then you should try Vaginal Destruction
I quite like them. One that springs to mind is MetallicA's "Creeping Death". That's a good one. And +1 to whoever said "Angel Of Death"
Official member of the "UG Senior Citizens Club For People Over 21"
Official member of the "UG Fat Chicks Appreciation Club" (Yeah, no one will probably follow...)

I would vote for "I like metal and some breakdowns" but It's not there. If you're going to have "I like some metal and I like breakdowns" why not have the other option for the ney-sayers? Cripes you children just get smarter and smarter.
/ man-PMSing
Proud Member Of The Bass Militia

PM Nutter_101 To Join
altho not metal, lamb of gods breakdown in 11th hour i think was done fantastically. it fit the song and was just ****ing awesome... the breakdown in one is genius also. what i hate is when bands like unearth get together and decide to put it in everyyyyy singllleeeeeee sonnngggggg and it never fits and feels awkwardly rhythmed and out of place. gay
MYSELF INFLUECE I

soo much n00bage
Quote by xX Maverick Xx
sorry to bust everyones bubble but lamb of god arent "hardcore" theyre death metal, and therefore metal.
Quote by Heid
I quite like them. One that springs to mind is MetallicA's "Creeping Death". That's a good one. And +1 to whoever said "Angel Of Death"

angel of death really isnt a breakdown. musically it is, but i assumed we were going by the hardcore definition of breakdowns, b/c the breakdown in the tru musical definition is just a nessecary part of music, u have to spin the song in a new direction so it doesnt get boring
MYSELF INFLUECE I

soo much n00bage
Quote by xX Maverick Xx
sorry to bust everyones bubble but lamb of god arent "hardcore" theyre death metal, and therefore metal.
I honestly couldn't care less what genre it is or if there are breakdowns. I'll listen to whatever sounds good.
Yep, in general. As long as it fits and isn't boring or repetitive.
Quote by HuckIt
My weirdest dream would have to be when I dreamed that I met this chick I really liked and wanted to practice sex, so I practiced on some guy I met at a gas station...that was pretty screwed up.
Page 1 of 3