well im building a guitar out of maple and i was wondering if it could be used to play metal?
Cus maples very bright sounding (or so im told) and i don't know if it will be good.
Any suggestions on pickups would be good too.
Depends what kind of metal you want. If you want a lot of the more darker metal, you won't get the sound you want with it.
UG RPG - Big Band Jazz Group
Buckethead4Prez - String Bass

PM me to Join
It should sound fine.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
It will sound good for lead work. Rythm might be a little weak on it.
Quote by Altered_Carbon
That's some bony hipster sex, which may be the best kind.
so i should probably stick with a pickup that can handle a wide range to accomidate the body sound
Maple is veeery bright.

Good for lead, methinks, but not so good for the rhythm say I...
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
It should do good, but you might want to find a bassy pickup to go in the bridge. I'd think that if you would put a Swineshead Xbucker it should sound good.
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
Dave Murray from Iron Maiden uses Starts almost exclusively. Chances are he has a maple body somewhere in his collection and looking at your sig if it works for him it should work for you.

^ I agree with dead-fish, make sure the bridge p'up isn't vioced too bright.
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
Last edited by Molsons Golden at Sep 24, 2006,
I have a guitar made out of maple and it's for low tunings so i'm sure u will be fine. The sound is very bright tho, i can get a lot of bass from my amp.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."