Page 1 of 5
larry jones
Banned
870 IQ
Everyone seems to think that the guitar solo has died- NOT I!!!

In fact, there are several phenominal guitarists that have played mainly in the 2000s

Some of them are Buckethead, Jesper Stromblad (In Flames), Tony Rombola (Godsmack), Synyster Gates/ Zacky Vengeance (Avenged Sevenfold), Dan Donegan (Disturbed), Matt Heafy/ Corey Beaulieu (Trivium), Matt DeVries/ Ron Arnold (Chimaira), and Brent Hinds/ Bill Kelliher (Mastodon).

I WANT TO KNOW WHO YOU THINK IS THE BEST OF THE 2000S AND WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
el57
sometimes... nevermind
216 IQ
oh boy

Jespers from Inflames, the godsmack guy and the distrubed guy being "phenominal" is prettty laughable

My personal favorite guitarist of the new millenium would be Muhammed Suiçmez from necrophagist
brandendude
627 IQ
i got a pick from synester gates
Quote by L_Z_Nut
Who is this "Billy Joe Armstrong" you guys are talking about..... sounds made up to me.

Quote by l2p_Guitar
my penis is like 6 inches. i measured with a measuring tape and accidentally let it go, so i have cuts down the side.

RIP heaven's gate
Kartman
Samuel in da tub.
2,406 IQ
Steve Vai.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
el57
sometimes... nevermind
216 IQ
Steve Vai has been since 80's and the peak of his career was years before the year 2000 so I don't really see why he would apply. Yes, he still makes music now but hes not really a "2000's" guitarist.
aznrockerdude
MUSOU SENSHOUSAN!
1,520 IQ
No Dragonforce?... lol

I vote for Trivium just because their solos sound catchy.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
BlackList666
UG's Metal Hippy
272 IQ
i would say definatly matt heafy and Corey Beaulieu, even tho u mentioned them, but they are the next old metallica
Sex is good
Sex is fine
Doggy Style & 69
Just for fun
Or gettin paid
Everyone likes gettin laid
ce12872001
86 IQ
john frusciante, jack white, john mayer, maybe tom morello(too 90's?),
Panasonic Youth
Trivium ≠ Metallica
56 IQ
Off the top of my head:

Matt Heafy/Corey Beaulieu-Trivium
Alexi Laiho-Children of Bodom
Mark Morton/Willie Adler-Lamb of God
Herman Li/Sam Toteman-Dragonforce
Jon Donais-Shadows Fall
Jeff Loomis-Nevermore
Quote by ShredtoBed
Dude.
The gore of killing animals is supposed to scare you out of eating meat.
That and drop Q tuning with pig squeels

Loomis-Amott
215 IQ
Christopher Amott-Arch Enemy (I hate that he got out of arch enemy)
Loomis-Nevermore
Laiho-Bodom
The guys in Kalmah
into the moat
UG Freak
1,091 IQ
Quote by larry jones
Everyone seems to think that the guitar solo has died- NOT I!!!

In fact, there are several phenominal guitarists that have played mainly in the 2000s

Some of them are Buckethead, Jesper Stromblad (In Flames), Tony Rombola (Godsmack), Synyster Gates/ Zacky Vengeance (Avenged Sevenfold), Dan Donegan (Disturbed), Matt Heafy/ Corey Beaulieu (Trivium), Matt DeVries/ Ron Arnold (Chimaira), and Brent Hinds/ Bill Kelliher (Mastodon).

I WANT TO KNOW WHO YOU THINK IS THE BEST OF THE 2000S AND WHY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

not quite.the llead from chimaira sucks. syn gates solos sound all the same, teh guys from trivium r far from teh best, although dan donegans solo in stricken is awsome he is by far not the best or the most technicly profficiant, same goes for mastodon, godsmack and in flames. buckethead is pretty good the i love the song spider crawl. i still wouldnt say he is the best tho. it is a hard decision.
comptonassdavis
178 IQ
anyone but synester gates and alexi laiho

John Mayer has proven himself pretty able and strong standing. He's nowhere near virtuoso but he's got his ground and that's what it takes to be a good guitarist in my books...
YEAH I'M STRAIGHT OUTTA COMPTON, FOO!
pratt121
likes coldplay, isn't gay
457 IQ
I really don't feel your music taste, threadstarter. Disturbed? Blah.

I'm gonna go through and make a few comments on some of my favorite guitarists of the recent years, and my own opinion is in there... but just because I say something negative doesn't mean I don't like them or feel they're overrated, if I put em on here it's cause I think they're impressive.

John Mayer is one of my favorites of the last few years, the stuff he did with the "Trio" is pretty awesome and his new CD isn't bad, either. I think he's turning people on to the blues by mixing it with some pop melodies and structures and that's always a good thing.

Morello is great, but enough has been said about him. He's got undeniable style but I wish he would just stick to the basics a bit, it feels like it's almost a gimmick sometimes.

Omar Rodriguez-Lopez is technically about as good as I've seen. His style is a nice mix of the eclectic and the latin flare thrown in. His guitar tone is pretty cool. He's a showoff, but he's definitely in a band that is designed to show off musicanship, so it works out.

Frusciante is pretty good. I think RHCP could be a lot better than they are if they dropped Kiedis and got a singer with some range, dynamically and stylistically, and his guitar tone barely ever varies.. but he's always coming up with cool stuff and I like RHCP's style as is, it just gets old after a while and I can't listen to an entire double album of theirs. But Frusciante is awesome, so he's an A in my book.

Like I implied I'm not really into metal. I don't care about whether a guitarist can rip so much as I care about their style and their tone and so forth. So there are your picks from me, a minority here at UG, apparently.
Last edited by pratt121 at Sep 24, 2006,
henza_x
995 IQ
trivium > avenged
im sorry but ascendency > city of evil
friggin even hilary duffs greatest hits > city of evil.

synster gates was good in waking the fallen, before he got buff and the muscles seemed to wreck his head. that being said its obvious zack has improved HEAPS since waking the fallen.

Corey and Matt are GREAT guitarists.
sjones
UG's Analrapist
2,068 IQ
^^^I disagree. Trivium is a good band, but A7X is so much better. Plus, Trivium is basically a Metallica rip off band. I like both bands, but A7x is much more interesting to me.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
larry jones
Banned
870 IQ
and omar rodriguez-lopez

technically, petrucci and frusciante apply too
Evil_Empire24-7
UG Freak
3,038 IQ
Ron Thal , Nuff said.
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.

The Mahavishnu Orchestra (Greatest Rock Ensemble 1971 - 1973)

[[Practice Makes Perfect]]

[[Hell Yeah]]
NileFTW
UG's Testament Lover \m/
49 IQ
^Ron Thal AND you forgot Guthrie Govan, they own this damn thread foo!
Jakeylee111
247 IQ
Jeff Loomis ftw.
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
Evil_Empire24-7
UG Freak
3,038 IQ
Quote by NileFTW
^Ron Thal AND you forgot Guthrie Govan, they own this damn thread foo!
sorry forgot Guthrie Focking Govan Foo! .
Quote by Jimi Hendrix
The Blues Is Easy To Play But Hard To Feel.

Quote by Chris Impellitteri
I Promise That My Solos Will Only Get Faster.

The Mahavishnu Orchestra (Greatest Rock Ensemble 1971 - 1973)

[[Practice Makes Perfect]]

[[Hell Yeah]]
guns4ever
717 IQ
i love syn gates/ zacky v of a7x.... city of evil is awesome and some of their solos are so trippy and i love it. all the guys mentioned in this thread are great though too and worthy of consideration.
Jaffaps2
144 IQ
Buckethead, the most ****ing pathetic guitarist ever.
Acϵ♠
UG Board King
2,050 IQ
Guthrie Govan, Claudio Sanchez/Travis Stevers
Quote by yellowfrizbee
What does a girl have to do to get it in the butt thats all I ever wanted from you. Why, Ace? Why? I clean my asshole every night hoping and wishing and it never happens.
Bitches be Crazy.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
TheSeventhOne
Uroboros
471 IQ
Alexi Laiho and Michael Amott.

I know he's quite good, but seriously, Matt Heafy phenomenal? Give me a break!
DaddyTwoFoot
Barned
338 IQ
Since when is Buckethead a 2000's guitarist? He's been releasing albums since the early 90's.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
deathinfire2112
UG Newbie
165 IQ
Quote by Jaffaps2
Buckethead, the most ****ing pathetic guitarist ever.

no my friend you are the most pathetic guitarist ever, because u probably suck ass and buckethead doesnt suck ass. so **** you.
pAIGEaSHLEY
iN lOVE WiTH mY GUiTAR
362 IQ
Keith Urban: Been playing since he was 6, has sold millions upon millions of albums, is recognized for his AWESOME guitar skills, is the best guitarist on earth!
cHEER uP, eMO kiD!
Jehuty
UG's Fingerpicker
1,593 IQ
Quote by sjones
^^^I disagree. Trivium is a good band, but A7X is so much better. Plus, Trivium is basically a Metallica rip off band. I like both bands, but A7x is much more interesting to me.

I totally disagree. I dont see ANY similarity between Metallica and Trivium.
caughtinamosh
my urethra burns, oh well
242 IQ
Gravy - Mushroomhead
Ler - Primus
Buckethead
Quote by steven seagull
good, however give yourself a pat on the back for starting a thread that contains a picture of Optimus Prime!

Quote by Schneiderman
This thread sucks and is now about slot cars.
cubedeathk
A Reasonable UGer
203 IQ
Probably Sten Hostfalt or John Mayer
George W. Bush for President 2012

We can do it if we work together!
TooLateForRoses
WE THOUGHT YOU WAS A TOAD
540 IQ
Quote by Jehuty
I totally disagree. I dont see ANY similarity between Metallica and Trivium.

The retard probably doesn't even know what he's talking about. One of his little emo friends probably told him that "twivium r t3h sux b-cuz i heareded that thay r t3h next muhtallica"

From that he probably assumed that they are a Metallica clone...
jof1029
GO HOKIES!
2,175 IQ
Quote by pratt121
I really don't feel your music taste, threadstarter. Disturbed? Blah.

Like I implied I'm not really into metal. I don't care about whether a guitarist can rip so much as I care about their style and their tone and so forth. So there are your picks from me, a minority here at UG, apparently.

im in the same boat, i definatly dont feel the whole metal thing. the fact that every guitarist named is metal makes me think that people equate speed and distortion with skill. i really dont agree with that, but as pratt said, people like us seem to be in the minority on UG.

to be honest i dont listen to a ton of stuff that people on here would say has challenging guitar. doesnt matter to me, cause i like it. a lot of these bands i listen to play very well and very consistently, even if the stuff isnt overly complex. jasin todd from shinedown is an example. nothing too complex or anything, but the guitar always fits the song and everything ive seen from him live he nails it. the guy plays well and sounds great, but nothing is excruciatingly fast or over the top technical.

also, you can look outside of the mainstream, and even just to people playing small shows in your town to find some great musicianship. this jazz trio played a small show at my school last year and the guitarist was pretty impressive. he wasnt brilliantly fast or anything, but the music sounded great and their was a great flow in the band as they jammed. when the keyboard player took a solo, the guitarist fell nicely into the back and provided a great rhythm that filled the sonic space nicely. and that is why i would say hes better than so many of these metal guitarists. to my ears they all seem to have the need to stand out all the time and cant fill in the background with something interesting. it sounds to me like its either over the top, or lacking.

anyway, its kinda useless to name a bunch of guitarists and say that i think they are great. people here have their own opinions that i dont agree with and that doesnt bother me.
Glen'sHeroicAct
Ω
2,087 IQ
i definatly dont feel the whole metal thing. the fact that every guitarist named is metal makes me think that people equate speed and distortion with skill.

you're right... jack johnson is the best guitarist of the 2000s.
(note sarcasm(even though i like him(but not like like, i just listen to his music to chill sometimes(hes not a bad guitarist, but he doesnt play fast electric(but that doesnt make him bad, there's just good electric guitarists who are better))))) (and im not a metal head.) who is this trivium? but seriously. i hate trivium. and mushroom head.. haha, i freakin saw a commercial for their new album last night. i laughed my ass off when i heard the name combined with the music. MUSHROOM HEAD! what kind of name is that! it reminds me of those big gas-spewing mushrooms in the pikmin game. man, what a stupid name. ... mushroom head....
Seraphia
65 IQ
Thomas Erak. He is brilliant in in every aspect. Plus he sings while he does all the crazy stuff he does. I mean how the hell does he do that??? Definitely one of the better guitarists of the 2000s.
The Mirrors lie, those aren't my eyes
metalmaster362
shred fan
926 IQ
michael romeo of symphony x
Member #8 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join
SunshineMan89
50 IQ
Frusciante. He doesn't always play shred, but he can, and his guitar invariably just sounds right for the song. His rhythms are great and his solos are awesome-and he doesn't feel the need to show off in every single sonng, prefering to sound good instead.