OK guys please help me out here, i'm new in this thing of soloing:

how do you know or what determine what scale to use when composing or improvising a solo for example, you came up with a riff, how do you know what scale would work when you play a it over the riff?

Sorry for the spelling, my english is really bad if you have problem undestanding the question please let me know and i will try to make it as clear as i can.
the solo and riff should just be in the same key...
"Music is religion for me. There'll be music in the hereafter, too." - Jimi Hendrix
I dont think he means by key. I think he is referring to a scale in a certain key. Like, the Pentatonic, Major, Minor, Blues. One of those. I have the same question.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
ok i'm getting it so if i came up with a riff like this

you could use a ''E'' pentatonic or and ''E'' maj/min.

e ------------------------------------------------------
b ------------------------------------------------------
g ------------------------------------------------------
d ------------------------------------------------------
a --2-----------5-----------4----------5-4-----------
e --0---0-0-0-3---0-0-0-2---0-0-0-3-2-----------

(jus made up the riff as a example)
Record the riff a few hundred times (lol), and then practice playing different scales over it and see which one fits best.
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
first look at all the notes your using in your riff.

E-B-G-D-F#-C#

put them in order

E-F#-G-B-C#-D

E dorian = E-F#-G-A-B-C#-D would work or

Emin pent(if u wanna be simple) = E-G-A-B-D-E

this is all i can write now if u dont get it. i'll write a more detailed explanation later. i dont have my guitar here at the moment.

if the song\riff is in a minor key the minor pent will work. if in a maj key, the maj pent will work. using E maj scale over a Emin riff will suck big time.

cheers
jaco
ok now i get it.......... another quick question just answer yes or no, the fact that my lowest note is a "E'' does make any difference in what scale to use?
look at the chords.

Quote by tryhardslash
dude like every song has disortion

and its called distorting
i had this problem before to..i still have it now because i dont practice it much..but i saw a lesson on this site about that..

heres what i understand from the lessons...

all these diff scales blues,pentatonic, etc can be played in the positon you learn them in..ex the scale that has the notes A B C D E F G ( not sure the name) but yah thats the one..you can play this in a diff key to fit your sont by moving the patern over to another staring point..like moving everything up one fret..same scale but in a diff key to fit your song..

sorry if its hard to understand..im still working on it myself..lol...
the whole thing is based on peterns like 1 2 1 1 2 or something like that..(ill try to find the lesson) but if you play the notes in that formula you get a certain patern..move the patterna round to get diff scales...
it doesnt matter what the lowest note is. look at all the notes together then choose a scale. also dont limit yourself. music theory is only guidelines not rules. fell free to experiment.
thanx to all of you guys for your time and reply's now i get it, i'm going to grab my guitar and try some of this stuff, thanx again
Quote by jose kaempffer
ok i'm getting it so if i came up with a riff like this

e ------------------------------------------------------
b ------------------------------------------------------
g ------------------------------------------------------
d ------------------------------------------------------
a --2-----------5-----------4----------5-4-----------
e --0---0-0-0-3---0-0-0-2---0-0-0-3-2-----------

(jus made up the riff as a example)

Thats in the Key of D Major.

D, E, F#, G, B C#

Its missing 1 note though.

Try E Dorian over it.

You could also use E minor pentatonic if you wanna make it simple.
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by snowbert
SMOKE UN-DER WATER!!!

Quote by jose kaempffer
thanx to all of you guys for your time and reply's now i get it, i'm going to grab my guitar and try some of this stuff, thanx again

i know i did the least of everyone here, but no problem