Hi!
I have a quick question about mixers..
Why are some mixers so goddam big, and have more knobs and buttons than other mixers? Always wondered...

Thanks
Well.. That I can understand... Just can't understand what all the frickin' knobs are for!
Usually the better mixers let you have more control over each channel
Quote by Stuffie!
Well.. That I can understand... Just can't understand what all the frickin' knobs are for!

because you don't want all the channels to be affected by the same change
not only does it have more channels but the BUS sizes are usually bigger 6-8 allowing for better signal processing...the less BUS's you have the crappier it will sound

the bigger mixers also come with better microphone pre-amps & built in effects,like reverbs,delays yadda yadda yadda

so on top of all the frequencies EQ's it also needs knobs for those other things
I kinda don't get this either... I know how mixers work and all, but the biggest consumer mixer I've ever seen in a 24-track. But how come the pro-studio mixers I see have at least 50 faders? Do they actually record that many tracks at once?
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Muphin
I kinda don't get this either... I know how mixers work and all, but the biggest consumer mixer I've ever seen in a 24-track. But how come the pro-studio mixers I see have at least 50 faders? Do they actually record that many tracks at once?

that's more show than anything,if you're talking about a grand-piano style mixer
but you'de be surprised what some people find use for

an orchestrated piece can easily be running 18
but i betcha P-diddy only uses 5 at a time
The big mixers used in studios are used for outboard mixing. As in rather than using the computers mixer to mix the song theyd use the hardware mixer, and some songs can gain anywhere up to 60 tracks in some cases.