Grunge is a genre of alternative rock inspired by harcore punk, heavy metal and indie. Grunge gained its mainstream success in the late 80s-early 90s.
The genre is identified by the heavily distorted guitars, simple, powerful riffs and heavy style drumming, a lot like punk rock, except grunge has clashing harmonies, and slower tempo.
The lyrics in a grunge song are usually about anger, depression, hatred, being pissed off... basically negative, destructive feelings that teenagers get a lot.

NOW FOR SOME ACTUAL MUSIC.

if i was going to write a grunge song, id write a simple riff made up of about 2-3 powerchords.
A simple riff is more memorable than a complicated one.
(Drop D)*
-------------------------------------------
--3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-3-0-0-0-0-0-0-0-0------
NOW THAT WAS DAMN EASY.

* Drop D is when you tune the thickest string on your guitar to be an octaive lower than your D string. When your guitar is tuned in this way, all you have to do is put your first finger like a bar down on your fretboard, and it makes a powerchord.

I dont want people stealing my riffs, so instead ill show you how to make your own.

Writing riffs is pretty easy, all you have to do is find the right way to go about it.

Listen to simple, straight foward, raw music, like Sonic Youth. they have easy riffs, and their music is damn easy to play. requires virtually no skill. check out this link below for a video clip.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CLR9ajmBzkQ

Here are some guidelines to writing a riff:
- Keep it simple.
- Dont rip off other bands. draw influence, but don't rip.
- For grunge riffs, make sure its realllyyy distorted. dont overdo it with palm muting, or itll run the risk of sounding too poppy or emo.
- Look outside the grunge characteristics. if you have other influences, like blues for example, put that into your music. Put in a rock lick or something. You won't be noticed if youre a follower... and unoriginal.

Grungy solos

Some solos don't require any skill. If youre not that good at guitar, you can do this:

step 1: Make sure your guitar is as loud and distorted as possible, preferably with feedback.
step 2: Let the strings ring out, and pluck lots of random notes really fast, using the high frets. Try to use some notes that make sense as well. Maybe play the vocal part on guitar, and let the last note ring until it starts making screeching noises.
step 3: Another thing you can do is take a drumstick or pencil, and slide it up and down the fretboard, picking the strings REALLY FAST at the same time.

If you have more skill than that, you could just improvise.

GRUNGE STAGE ANTICS

some of these are very well known, and some i made up.

1: HEADBANGING.
very common in most rock concerts, and works well with medium to long length hair.
Headbanging is kind of like gesturing "yes" with your head, but WAY more exaggerated than that. try to put your whole body into it. Hopefully, people will copy and headbang with you to the music. if no one joins you, you're going to look like an absolute ****wit.
2: SMASHING YOUR GUITAR/TSHIRT/DRUM SET/AMP/
always a crowd pleaser. dont do it unless you can easily replace the damage. =]
3: SCREAMING
Simply scream some lyrics from the song. Don't do it unless you can scream well, like those guys in emo bands. theyre awesome screamers.

GRUNGE LYRICISM
As i said before, grunge lyrics are about angst, depression, hatred, etc. The perfect time to write a song would be when you have these feelings. feeling really wound up? try this exercise to get some good words out of your head.

IM SO ANGRY I COULD...
and then come up with something you could do.
FOR EXAMPLE:
I'm so angry i could kill your mother and use her bones to build my dog a home.

that's not too bad, and hopefully some more words should come to mind after you come up with a sentence like that.

well, that's all from me
i hope this article has been helpful.
You seem to have absolutely no idea what Grunge is.

Have you heard of Stone Gossard? Are his riffs all simple?

Have you listened to the Screaming Trees?

Mother Love Bone?

Soundgarden?

Sorry, but this was just plain wrong.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
good i like this but i cant be bothered to use drop d so change it to normal but show different types of tuning otherwise brill
actually frenchyfungus..... grunge has different styles..... some grunge is played like this, the nirvana way, and some the soundgarden way. its all about what you wanna do. so shut the **** up and get a clue
this is my sig. there are many like it, but this is mine.

Brown Sugar
An alright article for some types of grunge, but i don't like the bit about the soloing, since you seem to be doing Nirvana style grunge what about the solo from teen spirit? Kurt wasn't the most skilled guitarest ever but the solo was catchy and didnt require speed. If you can't play solos at the teen spirit level then dont put a solo in the song.
Quote by 2ndslash
actually frenchyfungus..... grunge has different styles..... some grunge is played like this, the nirvana way, and some the soundgarden way. its all about what you wanna do. so shut the **** up and get a clue

But this article is labelle as saying "How to play Grunge"

It doesn't do that.

It is a very demeaning look at how maybe two guitarists out of the many Grunge guitarists played.

Basically the threadstarter has said this:

"Grunge is easy, take two powerchords, add distortion, make a solo that's full of noise, scream crap lyrics"

As a massive Grunge fan, I find this very offensive to the artists I've spent the last 7 years adoring.
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
+1 ^

That didn't cover grunge, that didn't cover anything.

You want grunge? Take punk, make it minor/dissonant and slow it down a bit and make it sound less bright and more dark. Lyrically talk about sombre feelings/attitudes and scream if you can ( for effect in a song ) or otherwise sing.
You fail.

That was horrible. Put more effort and atucal information into your article.
...When you decide to wake up..
Grunge, like all music, owns an essence. unless you have had an experience in your life of wich can bring you under the title "Grunge". So in order to write or play any type of music you must first have an uplifting experiance or a strugle within your soul.
if you have one
the end is not the end when there is not an end, for this torchure lasts forever ...
When will people understand. You can't write grunge music. Grunge was a musical movment of band out of Seattle in the late 80's and early 90's. Almost no two grunge bands sound the same. Also grunge had some amazingly inovative guitarists IE Kim Thyial who did a lot more then tune to drop D and do power chords.

did you know the major scale on a piano, starting at whatever note (lets say E). you just go straight up the white keys without hitting a black one. and you got the major scale.

if someone even knows what grunge is and desires to be in a grunge band, they know how to play it. you don't need an article to tell you to growl and play a few power chords. this is useless.
addendum- do you know how to play any sonic youth songs? seeing as they never use power chords and favor complex, disonant tunings, they are by no means "simple" or "easy to play". i have no clue why you would make that judgement when you obviously don't know any of their songs.
The whole thing about using a pencil or drumstick and playing notes randomly was a Sonic Youth thing, and they weren't grunge.

There were many other things wrong with this article, but the others had all been mentioned.
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
To Frenchy Fungus... What A ****ing Pathetic Name
You Dont Like This Article?
What Are You Doing Wasting Your Time Abusing Me With
Your Pathetic Little Comments? If Youre So Good
Why Do You Waste Your Time On This Ug Website Anyway?
You Make No ****ing Sense So Why Dont You Just Go And Listen To Your Precious Soundgarden
Quote by FrenchyFungus
But this article is labelle as saying "How to play Grunge"

It doesn't do that.

It is a very demeaning look at how maybe two guitarists out of the many Grunge guitarists played.

Basically the threadstarter has said this:

"Grunge is easy, take two powerchords, add distortion, make a solo that's full of noise, scream crap lyrics"

As a massive Grunge fan, I find this very offensive to the artists I've spent the last 7 years adoring.

you are a complete and utter coward. i write this article based on what i know, mostly about Nirvana style grunge. i dont ****ing like soundgarden, not everyone has ****ty taste like you. But how dare you insult my article, and brag about your ****ing taste in music, cause no one gives A ****
Last edited by rockxsuperstar at Nov 24, 2006,
how can you write about grunge and not like soundgarden? they ARE plain and simply, grunge. stop pulling false facts out of your arse.

edit: listen to frenchy. he knows more about this stuff than you ever will.
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Last edited by IndieMetalhead at Nov 24, 2006,
Er...what the hell is this crap? Grunge riffs are by no means easy idiot. Grunge solo requires immense skill, I find your article offensive as Frenchy said. If you want to know, most grunge tunings are in standard or in Eb.

Worst UG article ever

Go figure out Kim Thayil's rhythmn by ear - that'll teach your sorry ass. And "emo" - for christ sake, Grunge is more emotional than "emo" itself.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by GoodNite_AmyLee at Nov 24, 2006,
First off, you made a mistake by dissing Frenchy. Even if you dont like what he said you should have taken it like a man. You pretty much attempted to badmouth a mod and failed to the point of where I think we all agree that you should never reproduce. Ever. Your genes do not need to pollute the earth.

Anyway,

The article sucks. Hard. Anyone that calls hitting an F then a D, with lots of distortion and feedback, music needs to be euthanized. This article offers little to no helpful tips other than how to make a jackass out of yourself onstage by pretending to know your instrument. Are you really so arrogant as to try and break down how to play an entire style of music in less than one page of poorly written and researched text?

You Fail At Life.
Quote by givemeaname
My sisters pretty hot aswell