Just a simple question, i've been taught to use this particular scale as a relative minor, meaning if a song was in a key of 'G' for instance, i would use this scale at the E minor position, is there other ways of using this scale, what i mean is, if the key of the song is E minor, could i use it at the E minor position itself? I kinda tried but really didn't work that well......

Please Advice.........
"Well, yeah, sometimes I get a little too creative."
~Bruce Dickinson~

-------------------------
"Various equipments"
If the key of the song is E minor, yes you would play the suitable or chosen scale in that key. For Key of G major though, you would not play an E minor scale, although it is the relative key.
Yeh if your playing an E minor chord then an E aoelian/natural minor will sound good over it. It should also sound good over any other chords in the same key. For example G major like you said.
"Be Excellent To Each Other"
Quote by dark_destiny
If the key of the song is E minor, yes you would play the suitable or chosen scale in that key. For Key of G major though, you would not play an E minor scale, although it is the relative key.

You can play E minor over a G, it just works better if you emphasive the G within the scale. After all, G major and E minor are the same notes
leave all this.. what about the last mode in the series... yuck.. how do u implement THAT???
I like guitar...
Of course you could use it, the only thing is issit the proper mood? aligned with the song/backing track? if the song is in the key of Emaj, then you cant use E aeolian, it'll just sound wierd, you'd need to use Emaj scale for that, and you could use D aeolian/harmonic minor for that.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by madpickin03
Of course you could use it, the only thing is issit the proper mood? aligned with the song/backing track? if the song is in the key of Emaj, then you cant use E aeolian, it'll just sound wierd, you'd need to use Emaj scale for that, and you could use D aeolian/harmonic minor for that.

The relative minor of E maj is C minor.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Quote by OldRocker
The relative minor of E maj is C minor.

No, its D minor
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by madpickin03
No, its D minor

No, It's C# minor. And that's final
Quote by our band rules

sry sry, C# yeah
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by our band rules

Oops, I meant C# minor. My mistake.

E Maj scale

E F# G# A B C# D# E

6th degree of E Maj is C# which is the Aeolian mode often know as the natural minor scale.
Parker PDF30
Vox VT40+
Alright, cool guyz.....over and out....
"Well, yeah, sometimes I get a little too creative."
~Bruce Dickinson~

-------------------------
"Various equipments"
Quote by kirk_tremonti
leave all this.. what about the last mode in the series... yuck.. how do u implement THAT???

Locrian? It's pretty much a theoretical mode. You'd play it over diminished chords, but you run into all sorts of problems with chord progressions trying to resolve to other keys.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Implementing modes. Well, really you can use any mode you want in just
about any situation. It all depends on the mood you want to convey over the
chord progression. Of course, that's a very open way of looking at it, but it's
actually not a bad starting point for thinking about modes -- some modes you might
pick might sound very dissonant, but it could be that's exactly what you're looking
for.

The Aeolian can be used in a lot of situations and sound good.

Let's not also forget all the other scales -- pentatonic, harmonic minor, melodic
minor, diminished... They all have modes too. And those modes can also be
used if you choose.