I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread, if not just move it please.

http://myspace.com/throwndownband

Ignore the "Sam Sucks at Guitar" song we have up there, I was just messing around.

Listen to the "Vocal Test" and I want to know if I have any chance at all of singing, right now I have a bit of a cold but it's not effecting my voice that much I don't think.
Well i'm not exactly singing there because the song sort of goes like that, also i'm very uneducated when it comes to singing, so what do you mean by sing notes?
Quote by mr.shred
put some emotion into it dude

I've been trying to do that, it's a lot easier said than done I guess.
Any tips,? This adding emotion keeps going back in forth through my head and I can't really think of how to "add emotion".
Sorry for the double post again, but can anyone give me any tips (I guess) on how to "add emotion" to my voice.
Add emotion :

Dynamics - listen to Damien Rice singing Cannonball or Blower's Daughter on YouTube. THAT'S emotion.

Tone - roughness can make you sound angry, clean can make you sound sad. Mess around with mouth shapes and over-exaggerate pronunciation for this. Also try putting more energy into your voice and this'll make it sound more rough ( kinda like how overdrive works on guitar ).

Pitch - if you start low and have the climax to a song being a much higher note than the rest of the song ( doesn't have to be high for you ) then you will get a better effect. On Blower's Daughter - it's that note where he takes the sharp intake of breath and sings the word denial that works for me.

Speed - even the smallest pause can keep a listener begging for more. Also makes it seem like you're struggling to tell the story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wSN8rjTo1E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0onsctmoYWI

P.S. Damien Rice FTW!!!
Hmm i think u suck a lil but on one of them i couldnt tell because of the s*** guitar goin on in the background
Mex fender tele
fender frontman
morley wah
It's kinda bad at the moment but I think with training anyone can sing. You don't have to get singing lessons though. You need to sing a bit louder and try not to just speak. In both the vocal test it sounds bad because you aren't really singing. It's like you are scared incase someone hears you...

You should just put some of your favourite songs on and then sing along then once confident take the music off and sing solo.
Quote by Sir Edwin CBE
Add emotion :

Dynamics - listen to Damien Rice singing Cannonball or Blower's Daughter on YouTube. THAT'S emotion.

Tone - roughness can make you sound angry, clean can make you sound sad. Mess around with mouth shapes and over-exaggerate pronunciation for this. Also try putting more energy into your voice and this'll make it sound more rough ( kinda like how overdrive works on guitar ).

Pitch - if you start low and have the climax to a song being a much higher note than the rest of the song ( doesn't have to be high for you ) then you will get a better effect. On Blower's Daughter - it's that note where he takes the sharp intake of breath and sings the word denial that works for me.

Speed - even the smallest pause can keep a listener begging for more. Also makes it seem like you're struggling to tell the story.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wSN8rjTo1E

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0onsctmoYWI

P.S. Damien Rice FTW!!!

Great examples, Sir Ed

What i love about the first song, his voice has so much feeeling it makes it sound like he's weak inside (not his voice), if you get what i mean, like as if he was in pain.

thats emotion!

ill listen to the second song in a sec.

Guys: in singing, there are two humps, i find, one big and kinda short, and medium, but very long:

1) when you dont know if you can sing (in truth you cant), and you're just "talking" the whole time, or singing out of key, wrong intervals, etc, and you cant hear that you're doing bad

You just need practice and a little help from a singer to get over this, because once you can tell if you're sounding bad or good, on or off key, etc, you can work towards being a better singer, and once youre there:

2) singing EFFICIENTLY, and CONSISTENTLY is huge. Im still working on this, i can match pitches with singing, do some dynamics, etc, but not consistently, and not up to a level where i can say "hey, i can really sing". Good thing about this part, is that all it takes is practice, and you'll move forward just fine.

Oh and PS: theres an ONLY vocal thread .... and yes im almost sure this SHOULD have gone there...
Confidence...you gotta have confidence. If you haven't got none, then your singing will be sub-par. Just get that into your head first, and then do all the training stuff later.
Vocal Test: Does talentsix's voice suck? Our survey says YES!

Just kidding. But seriously dude, try actually singing or get a vocal coach.
Ok, so you're saying my voice sucks for singing, not the actual singing. That's what i'm asking. Also if my voice does suck, are there ways to improve this? I've googled and found nothing useful, any thing people have been successfull with?
Well, altho i havent heard you sing (i cant find the audio thing...), we're not saying that just your voice sucks, we said you were more talking than singing too, so im assuming you still have to get singin.

And maybe, just maybe, read the two more "constructive" posts of this thread. *cough* me and sir edwin wrote more than 3 sentences, they might be worthwhile to you.
so... based upon what others are saying, emotion.

Listen to Mikael Akerfeldt sing, lol (Opeth *****, I am).

Anyway, the way i put feeling into singing is just when I write lyrics, i kow there's a feeling i want the listener to get from the music. Just do that. Try to emulate the feel you want the listener to have.
Quote by MoogleRancha
It's like Fenriz and J. Read

"I'm so happy to love metal and stuff"

"I AM metal"
Talentsix, where's your recording? Have you talked to the guys in the vocal thread yet? I didn't listen to your recording but just answered your question on how to add emotion.
Quote by Sir Edwin CBE
Talentsix, where's your recording? Have you talked to the guys in the vocal thread yet? I didn't listen to your recording but just answered your question on how to add emotion.

I've been jumping around, I took down the vocal test, I will put some new ones up with me actually singing.