Hi,

We're not looking for total studio quality yet because we can't afford the materials, but we want to take steps to get a fuller and solid sound out of the basement.

First our idea was to build a stage. we're looking into 2x2 treated ribs with 1/2" 4x8 sheets of flooring to cover half of the basement. We think the drums will sound better when it's off the concreat.

We made shelves for the 500w 15" speakers which is pushed by 1800 PV2600 amop. Not sure if they have to be a distant from the walls.. (someplace I read to keep them 2 feet away from walls.)

Anyone know of some cheap methods to get sound quality?
"I don't want to be hostile. I don't want to be dismal.
But I don't want to rot in an apathetic existence either.
"
-Maynard

| |
I read somewhere that if you cover the walls in "egg-carton" foam, you get at least a better sound (not so echo-y). And get a big area rug and set it on the floor.
METAR KTIK 040043Z COR RMK TORNADO 1W MOV NE. EVACUATING STATION
you can get matts which you put drum kits on, it makes it sound better
Quote by Nick Cannon

Ima report yall forreal
dude, putting carpets and rugs and stuff on everythings a pain in the but. just start recycling styrafome and stuff, cardboard boxes. and stick all that on the wall. posters work to, so ive heard. its cheaper but it takes a long time. but if you go to one of thos recycling stations then you can jump into one of the dumpsters and get crap load of cardboard and ****. a friend of mine did that. he got caught tho and fined.
Quote by toasted_lemming
just for practice? or for putting on gigs? or recording?

For practice and recording. we're very picky about tone and sound quality.

So a drum mat would be a better way to go rather than building a sub-floor?

This site said egg crates suck ass. http://www.engadget.com/2006/04/04/how-to-theater-or-studio-acoustic-treatments/1#comments

But we never personally experimented with it.
"
-Maynard

| |
for recording just close mic everything...seriously, if the sound is bad then this will improve it...and yeah, for practice you wanna carpet the floor and walls, deaden the space a lil to stop the insane concrete echo
Last edited by toasted_lemming at Sep 24, 2006,
If you're just practising, it shouldn't really matter as long as you perfect your set. It's when you're on stage performing to people that it really matters.
eventually this will be our studio. right now it's for practice and demos.

We need to get carpeting.
"
-Maynard

| |