I'm looking into getting a new guitar with a trem. I'm into BLS, Slayer, Metallica, Pantera etc but also like cleaner stuff like Sublime, Floyd etc. I'm not sure which model(s) I should look into. I'd prefer a mahogany guitar so most of the RG series is eliminated. How does the thinnes of the S series' body affect the tone and the trem range? And would something like the RG520 be better than an S series?
Don't be turned off by the basswood in the RGs. I can get a really thick metal tone from my neck pup (Evo) and still get a really good clean tone from the coil splits (RG1570)
Originally posted by priest.fan.
yeah, I suffered deep emotional scars when I learned that easter was in fact about jesus, and not a giant bunny sneaking into peoples houses uninvited
Tone is darker less trebly on the high notes but its no Les Paul but with darker voiced pups the S can go way low tonewise, I love mine for soloing, the tone never skreeches and is smooth on the high notes. The stock QM1 and QM2 pups are voiced pretty well for this guitar.
Definitely go with an RG520! Amazing guitar, and going to good prices on ebay recently. I have a tone zone and air norton in mine. Not only is the tone huge, but it is very crunchy, perfect for what you're looking for!

A Mahogany is much better than a basswood on the RG! Much better! So if you can find one, go for it!

As for RG or S, I prefer the trem range of the RG more.
^Thanks man, i know i pm'd you before, but i figured it'd be good to get everyone's input. I really like the RG series, but I'm not really into the basswood, plus I'd like to have the 24 frets which the S series does not provide, and the Wizard necks of the RG's. How are those Dimarzio's? What other pups would be good to try out as well?
Quote by pierce34celtic
I'm looking into getting a new guitar with a trem. I'm into BLS, Slayer, Metallica, Pantera etc but also like cleaner stuff like Sublime, Floyd etc. I'm not sure which model(s) I should look into. I'd prefer a mahogany guitar so most of the RG series is eliminated. How does the thinnes of the S series' body affect the tone and the trem range? And would something like the RG520 be better than an S series?

Oh, I got an RG, and I'm saving up for an S prestige. The RG is very nice, but my whammy bar is a slide in, not a screw in, which gets annoying. The body is very heaver also compared to an S. But, the RG has 24 frets, S has 22. The Body of the S is amazing though. Half as thin as an RG. Can't wait till Christmas.
Yeah it kind of sucks taht the S's dont have 24 frets, but you can just bend and pull up on the bar, i wish i could get like...a Neck Thru, 24 fret, ZR trem Equipped, Mahogony Bodied, Ibanez.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

Yah,
There are trade-offs for both.
I have an Ibanez S-prestige though,
Because I looked over my tab and only found 1 or 2 songs that needed the 23 or 24th fret.

I found that the mahogany consistently beat the basswood in any amp I would try,
I also found that you honestly only lose about 2 semitones in up-pull with the S,
Which isn't a whole lot.
Also note that with 22 frets your neck pickup is higher up,
which gives a far warmer tone.

Go play both before you choose,
that is very very important.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Id say the S, since Herman Li from Dragon Force uses one, and he is a sick guitar player
Quote by slipknot369
Id say the S, since Herman Li from Dragon Force uses one, and he is a sick guitar player

Never listen to people like this.

I have the RGT220H and it is a neck-thru with mahogany body and it sounds great, if you can afford it. The stock DiMarzios sound pretty good too.

Cost me around $2300 Canadian.
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
The Super High-end RGT's are the only RG's that I personally would ever own,
I just prefer Bolt on guitars honestly (I own a Neck-thru jackson, a set-neck gibson, and a bolt-on ibanez, and i prefer bolt so I am non-biased)

Also:
The S series all have wizard necks, so they have super thin necks..
like the RG.
I think you said something like they don't...
Quote by The_Hell_Patrol
Yeah it kind of sucks taht the S's dont have 24 frets, but you can just bend and pull up on the bar, i wish i could get like...a Neck Thru, 24 fret, ZR trem Equipped, Mahogony Bodied, Ibanez.

Totally agree there, that's my dream guitar, the closest one's would be the RGT's which are like $1600-2000.
aye

but the Ibanez has an AANJ, which still doesnt make it like a neck thru or set neck, but does make it a hell of alot easier to reach the upper frets compared to a strat imo.
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

Quote by Striketalonx
Also:
The S series all have wizard necks, so they have super thin necks..
like the RG.
I think you said something like they don't...

The S have Wizard IIs for a few years now - thin, but not superthin...

I don't know how many of you have actually played the S next to a basswood RG, but the RG sustains and resonates better. S is not a mighty large slab of mahogany, and it endures little comparison with things like SZ or even the AX as far as "mahogany tone" goes.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
I say S, they are really good, mahogany body, the trem is apparently really strong and fast to re-string/tune the only bad thing i've seen on an S is the input jack, its a bit hard to get out, but that doesnt matter much, the thin body doesnt do anything to tone or anything like that and it wont snap or anything
dont forget that the RG321MH is mahogany and is got very good tone and great playability
TESTAMENT, SCAR SYMMETRY......SELF EXPLANATORY

ALEX SKOLNICK, PER NILSSON........ADULATION MANDATORY

Gear: JACKSON RR3

Member#25 of the IRON MAIDEN ARE GODS CLUB. PM Revelations to Join
Quote by pifty
The S have Wizard IIs for a few years now - thin, but not superthin...

I don't know how many of you have actually played the S next to a basswood RG, but the RG sustains and resonates better. S is not a mighty large slab of mahogany, and it endures little comparison with things like SZ or even the AX as far as "mahogany tone" goes.

Hm,
well it might not be godly les paul mahogony,
but I know I tried an RG 1570 and an S2170 the day I went to go buy a guitar with a floyd,
and I plugged into the same Mesa F-50 combo,
and the RG just sounded meh
compared to the S..
But the s also has a bubinga top on it,
so that might be a factor.
Striketalonx, well, I don't know just what tonal qualities you describe with meh...

But I have an S and an RG on my rack, and the former has an obviously brighter sound and less sustain (mind you, both have the Edge, so it's not in the bridge). Having said that, I have bassier pickups in my RG, but I try to account for that in my evaluation.

Not dissing S, I love them. Just saying that "S is fatter and has more sustain than RG" is a misconception. When I think of S tone, I think of Gambale's work from the early 90s - bright, articulate, with zero string noise.

And, mm, bubinga is dense, heavy, and allegedly brighter than both basswood and mahogany. I won't make any claims here, though, and I'm not sure just how much of it is in the S top to affect the tone...
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
very true,
Bubinga is warmer than maple,
but brigther than mahogany...
IMO
but Meh = Kinda lame, toneless..
When I played the S through the MESA it had a nice crunch to it,
when i played the RG it had more of a "fizzle" or "buzz" a "fuzz" per se...

Not-so-Final verdict-
I find that the S is great for rock and metal,
Like your Black Label Society, Pantera, etc

whils the rg is more shred-orientated,
like your Satriani and Vai....
Last edited by Striketalonx at Sep 24, 2006,
Strike, it may be the pickups. The DM/IBZ pups in my humble opinion are a notch better than the Vs, so it could be that. I know that with a ToneZone in the bridge, my 570 sounds huge and fat, while S equipped with an EMG81 is so sharp it cuts.

Quote by pierce34celtic
pifty- Would you say the S or RG would be better overall for the styles I mentioned?

I personally think that both will do what you want, and it comes down to which one's more comfortable to you, and how much you're willing to spend.

Consider the advantages of ZR over a fulcrum trem, ask yourself if you're going to change tunings, palm mute, if you need a sensitive bridge that can flutter like a butterfuly, or if you like to strum like a mother****er without losing your pitch, and if you need a full tremolo range, then make a choice.

The prestige RG or the older 5 series are great, but the S470 goes a long way too with a proper choice of pickups.
Very true...
Pickups play a massive part in the tone..
Oh how I wish they still made Ibanez RG 5 series..
(so you could one new instead of Ebay...)
I say go for the RG Prestige. And again, I strongly recommend the RGT Prestiges, they are the most comfortable and playable contemporary guitars I have played.

Heres mine, it is perfect for me in every way:
\,,/_[><]_\,,/
Quote by pierce34celtic
I figured the RG520 would be the best of both worlds since it is mahogany and has the Edge trem, wizard neck, 24 frets. Maybe I could put some Bareknuckles in there as well. And the edge should more range than the ZR on the S series.

For the most part yes..
its not really the ZR that lacks range,
its the S body..

but otherwise yes you're right
Quote by pierce34celtic
Well the Edge and ZR are both very good trems, it's too bad they don't have a mahogany RG with a ZR. But I'm not sure I'll have the cash for an RGT, so I think either the RG520 with a pup swap might do well.

It will do extremely well, granted that you can find one.
Quote by pierce34celtic
I've been looking at eBay, and found one right here for what looks like a great price:
http://www.musicgoround.com/gear/inventorydetails.asp?id=476540

leaves me a good amount to upgrade the pups

Picture's bad, can't tell if it's a QS or not. You should check with them before buying. The 520 series was basswood like all other RGs, with only the QS version being mahogany.
i'm positive that's a QS in trans blue. the 520 non-QS was available in only gray pewter, and the trans blue is very dark. i have one and it looks exactly like the one in the pic.
How does the RG2550E compare to something like the RG1570? The local music store near me has started selling these instead of the RG1570, but i haven't got around to comparing them.
Quote by ch1
i'm positive that's a QS in trans blue. the 520 non-QS was available in only gray pewter, and the trans blue is very dark. i have one and it looks exactly like the one in the pic.

Good point!

Quote by TheLucksta
How does the RG2550E compare to something like the RG1570? The local music store near me has started selling these instead of the RG1570, but i haven't got around to comparing them.

Identical, save for pickups and pickguard.