so i was looking into an electric guitar, and i really like the gibson sg, but it's really expensive and i don't think i'm really up to that level yet. so i was wondering, how much diferrence is there between the gibson and the epiphone?
is the gibson so much better that it's worth around $1000 more?
thanks in advance for the help
Last edited by r0ckam3r1ca at Sep 24, 2006,
I've always been told in guitar shops that you won't get a decent SG until you pay for at least a low end Gibson, but then again, they are trying to make money. I have a friend who plays the G-400 model from Epiphone. I think it's great for the price which is probably less than $500. Be advised though, don't go for any lower end models than this as they aren't all that good apparently (Special and G-310). Tokai also do SG copies which, according to most people, are as good in quality and tone as Gibsons, at a fraction of the price. They are made in Japan and S. Korea but the Japanese ones are supposed to be better.

Hope this helps.
its better but its not a 1000 quids worth more. Gibsons are really overpriced.
I've got something in my front pocket for you.
Why don't you reach down in my pocket and see what it is?
Then grab onto it, it's just for you.
Give a little squeeze and say: "How do you do?"
Therer has been endless gibson v epiphone, anf because of the price difference the opions are very mixed. I've seen the epiphone sg400, and it is good for under £300. Personally no, it's not wortj the extra money unless you are really good. Go for the epi. They obviously aren't as good (hence price) but they really are the closest thing in my opinion. They are genuinely good guitars for the money, and better with pup change!
I'd say Epi
Behringerv-tone(first guitar)
Epiphone les paul standard plus (cherry burst)
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

I like Epi LP's. You got a problem, PM me!
I think you should get an Epiphone Elitist SG.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
From my experience, Gibson and Epihphone don't differ by much at all. I do have a "Standard Epiphone SG" and I have played a "Standard Gibson SG". The only difference I noticed was the bolt-on neck (on the Gibson) wouldn't give as much as my Epiphone, and honestly, if you take care of your guitars and treat them well at shows, you will never come across this problem. I've had my Epiphone for 2 1/2 years now, and it plays as well as it did the moment I bought it.

::Sorry to all the Gibson Geeks out there, but all your buying when you buy Gibson is the bragging rights to your friends::
Quote by Kartman
I think you should get an Epiphone Elitist SG.

So would any1-but if you read-he said he doesn't know if he's "good enough" for a gibson.(Elitists are pretty up to the same standard-and cost)
Behringerv-tone(first guitar)
Epiphone les paul standard plus (cherry burst)
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

I like Epi LP's. You got a problem, PM me!
I would go for the Epi. I own the G-400, basically, the feel is good, its got fat-as-**** neck,. but once you get used to it, you dont notice it. Its got GREAT upper fret access, but it has weak stock pickups, so just slap some new pups in there and its a sweet guitar, i love mine, maybe look into getting the G-400 Deluxe, or Iommi Sig?...the iommi has 24 frets and his pickups, so you dont really need to change anything on that guitar
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

the elitest SG is about 500 dollars, IF you can find one, they're discontinued
Yeah, the elitist is quite close to Gibson quality is it not?, if you cant find one, i would get one of the G-400 series or the Iommi model
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

Wait, can someone tell me what kind of necks sgs have (Gibson and epi) because a used one at my local shop looks to have a through neck, but I though they had set necks, and the guy up there^^^ said a Gibson sg had a bolt on neck?????

The Gibson site is of course, completely useless.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
hey there im gettin an epi g-400 vintage in november and ive played it and its good.
Gibsons cost way to much and i think mainly because its the original and all the famous guys have one.my advice is to buy and epiphone then put some gibson pickups on it.(if your low on cash like me then just get one pickup)
Mex fender tele
fender frontman
morley wah
Quote by hamish5178
Wait, can someone tell me what kind of necks sgs have (Gibson and epi) because a used one at my local shop looks to have a through neck, but I though they had set necks, and the guy up there^^^ said a Gibson sg had a bolt on neck?????

The Gibson site is of course, completely useless.

it depends what model, im pretty sure EVERY Gibson SG has a set neck, and all the Epi G-400 Series/Sig models have Set necks...the only ones that are bolt on are the Special and G-310
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

hmm, did they ever have through necks? because the one at the shop looks like one (or do SG just have really smooth set necks???)
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
I'm pretty sure its just a well done Set neck, but im not positive, i havent played a Gibson or looked at one in person before...but im almost positive that they are all Set necks
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn