I hate to make another one of these threads, but im thinking of buying a new bass, and I have a few in mind, but I'd like some more opinions. I currently own a washburn 5-string, I like it and its good for most stuff, but Im looking into a 4-string. I'd say my budget is less then $1000 (Canadian). I play a lot of different music from metallica, to primus/RHCP, some jazz, and a lot more. I was thinking of a Musicman S.U.B, a Epiphone thunderbird, or a Epiphone explorer. Ive heard both good and bad things about the 2 Epiphones, but nothing to bad about the Musicman. I was also looking into a Musicman bongo, but that was a little over my price range. So if anyone has any opinions on any of those basses, or could possibly give me more more Ideas, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
you could save up a bit and get the musicman, or an ibanez prestige, or a MIA fender Jazz/Deluxe P...
Metal Slap and Jazz , the three "styles" you basically listed, are often done on Jazz basses.. but a Musicman Stingray should be able to do that too, easily, if you can afford it. The regulars on this forum could go on for days about the almighty greatness of the stingray, the one and only bass, that is on the right hand of The Father (COUGH COUGH UTBDAN COUGH COUGH)

The two epi's are too distinctive tone to handle slap, imo, and jazz would be iffy, but they'd be fine probably for metallica. That said, no one likes Epi quality, the feel of the Tbird (modern one anyway) ,etc. Lots of bad reviews.

Out of those 3 , MM Stingray fo sho! But if you're open to other choices: i suggest maybe looking into some higher end Jazz basses (fender or otherwise... or maybe a MIM Jazz (500ish dollars? dunno in USD) and then souped up!? :p or Ibanez SR line

Yeah yeah... i love the SR line Really versatile, cheapest bass you can get that has "out of the ordinary tonewoods" (neck: bubinga/wenge.. not too rare, but obviously not just maple), a THREE band EQ (hard pressed to find basses under 1000$ with 3 bands.. most under 2 grand only have 2 band if ANY EQ...), and a helluva lot of versatility.

I wouldnt quite go with some of the higher up SR's tho, because of cost, and the Neck thru feature is good for some things, but it will ruin your slap sound a bit. The SR500 has gotten EXCELLENT reviews (if i remember, UG Reviews gave it like 9.5 overall, by UG AND by the members).

Now some cons of the Stingray, the Jazz, and the SR500:

Stingray: many stingray afficionados (even dan, AFAIK), have stated that the 5 string model is less than great. but you said you wanted a 4 stringer.. so....

Again, i think its only a 2 band EQ if any.

Jazz basses: Most fender jazzes are a bit overpriced new, considering the features on them. They usually dont have Active EQ's either... And i think the MIA series might be just out of your price range..

SR: the 500, i dunno if the others, is known to have the finish come off quite easily. I have "pop marks", as i like to call em, as where i would normally pop, the finish is coming off a lot, but quite frankly i like that, gives it a sort of "wear and tear, i use this baby often" look.

Cant think of anything else for the SR's lol....
Thanks for all the advice. Ive heard a lot about fender, but im not a fan or their look. But I guess the sound is the important. Ill take a look at those Ibanez's. I should of probably added im looking for a bass with a distinctive look/shape, but like I said up there, the sounds more important.
Last edited by cleadus_134 at Sep 24, 2006,
A G&L Tribute might be in your price range

I have the 2500 and I've been impressed by it, its got twin humbuckers (They're coil tapped as well), on onboard EQ with bass, treble and a Passive/Active/Treble Boost switch. One of the good things about the Pups is the EQ works in both Active AND Passive modes

I am considering selling mine if your interested
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
Digitech HotRod
BBE Sonic Stomp
MusicMan Bongo all the way man I have one and it is innnnnncredible even though it is really pricey I would save up for one I got my Black Sapphire HHP for $1600 canadian but Ernieball has raised the price just recently to $300 american more so... plus the SUB line has gone belly up so they arent in production anymore if you werent to go for a Bongo then I agree with mangablade and go for a Stingray.
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join
Quote by RIC4003
MusicMan Bongo all the way man I have one and it is innnnnncredible even though it is really pricey I would save up for one I got my Black Sapphire HHP for $1600 canadian but Ernieball has raised the price just recently to $300 american more so... plus the SUB line has gone belly up so they arent in production anymore if you werent to go for a Bongo then I agree with mangablade and go for a Stingray.

The one I saw in the store was about 1200 I think, and also a HH.
Where did you go? because the ones in store will be cheaper but I ordered mine to my specifics and had them add a Piezo pickup in the bridge (even more tonal possibilities)
Co-Founder of The Geddy Lee Fanclub
PM me or timmEH to join

#1 Rush / Yes fan of The Bass Militia
PM Dinky to join

Founder of The Ernie Ball MusicMan owners club and proud owner of a Black Sapphire Bongo 4 HHp
PM me to join