I'm looking for some more pedals to get a death metal, primarily melodic death metal tone. I also want to know what I need for metal in general, but I'd first like to acquire what I need for a melodic death metal tone.

Right now I have the Boss Metal Zone and the Zakk Wylde Crybaby.

If you could tell me which types of pedals I would need most that would be sweet, and providing an example of a really good one or your favorite would be even sweeter. Thanks!
get a flanger pedal, heavy ass distortion and strong flanging sounds awesome for death metal, flange of death

edit: boss flanger is good for the price, but you can get some that are realy far out there man,
PRS Custom 24
Rivera KnuckleHead 55
Budda SuperDrive 30
Vox AC15C1
distortion and.....

thats about it
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club, PM deadhead313313

People Wouldn't know good music if it hit them in face
- Frank Zappa

Gear:
Carvin CT3
Digitech GNX3
Peavey Classic 30
Digitech make a death metal pedal, which they thoughtfully named 'Death Metal'.
A lot of distortion, and I'd say EMGs wouldn't hurt anything. You can use that wah-wah, I suppose. Flangers certainly aren't necessary.

I think EMG pick-ups would be good because it would give you that smooth distortion tone that you hear a lot of from melodic death metal.
whatever effects you want to use.
Quote by NeverMeant
Sometimes I feel like I won't care if my girlfriend dies because then I won't have to worry about her becoming pregnant.
Alright, DONT get the Digitech Death Metal pedal. But EMGs would be great (mind you they arent an effect, but affect your tone), and a flanger would be good.
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
Quote by Bullet FMV
DONT get a Digitech Death Metal pedal. It's very misleading.

Heh, too late. I bought one of those several months back on ebay, for like $25. I was like "z0mg this is going 2 b t3h 00b3r!!!!" Then I played with it for a day, and thought it was OK. Then I woke up the next morning, played with it, and regretted wasting my money. I think I'm going to put it up on ebay, but I'd feel guilty about selling it to some poor, unsuspecting, innocent n00b...
Yeah, EMG's, probably, well sort of. I think I'll get the 81 and then get something more versatile, like a DiMarzio in as well. And I can't believe two people actually suggested the DigiTech Death Metal, unless they just haven't played it before...
Dont mix active and passive pickups, its hell. If your gunna go with an 81, get another active EMG aswell.
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
Quote by JesseIbanez
Dont mix active and passive pickups, its hell. If your gunna go with an 81, get another active EMG aswell.

Thanks for the info! I probably won't go with EMG at all then, I'll just get two crunchier passive pickups.
Run a boss HM-2 as a distortion booster. I second the flanger too, sounds cool with dist.
Try to get a setup with a whole lot of chunk and clarity to the distortion. EMGs are a good choice, as are pedals with a lot of definition.
no
assuming you have a good amp. A tubescreamer will help for solo boosts. EQs will help to bring in more midrange and chunk. A bit of reverb is nice for clean sections. But also keep in mind you can get a very heavy sound without using a lot of distortion too.
i put a maxon overdrive pedal on top of my distortion channel on my amp(Hughes& kettner vortex). it adds a lot of chunk to palm mutes n such and can be a nice little extra gain boost. as i lay dying, killswitch engage are some examples of bands that do this. there not death metal but both get amazing tone live.
i would also recommend a noise suppressor/ noise gate.
Last edited by chirch at Jan 26, 2007,
melo-death tone is as follows

good guitar loaded with emg pickups
peavey 5150.

although i'd probably throw in delay and a noise gate.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by gpderek09
melo-death tone is as follows

good guitar loaded with emg pickups
peavey 5150.

although i'd probably throw in delay and a noise gate.

+1, maybe a boosted Laney too.
How does the "melodic d34th m3t4l" tone differ from say, hard rock? Er just "metal" in general? What if I had a sweet tone for metal and you were like "Eh its just not MELODIC DEATH METALLY enough..." Id be like WTF!? All it is is a ton of distortion and fast playing...

+1 for teh Derek
Quote by Bullet FMV
DONT get a Digitech Death Metal pedal. It's very misleading.

I got one of them, i like it, with abit of fiddling with my amp and the pedal i can get every sound i ever wanted. Im really happy with my purchase. =)