Ive been teaching myself guitar on and off for the last year or so and ive just about gotten all of the notes on the fret board, the more used chords, and ive been learning different songs. but when ever i even think of learning the different scales every thing i read just confuses me

what should i do?
PPPRRAAAACCTTIIICCEEEEEEEEE....... and plus in any song you play they are probably using some sort of scale...
-<$>- sPiNdLe FiNgErS -<$>-
I know they're obviously using scales
im just saying
when i try and learn Theory and the different minor and major scales
and the Co5 and things like that
i get insanely confused
Something I wrote...

The Circle of Fifths

This is a device used to determine the notes of each key in the major scale. Here is a lovely picture of it. Take it, hold it, and love it.

Now, as you can see, C is up at the top and is in the middle. That is because it has no sharps or flats. As you move clockwise, you will move into the sharp keys. As you move left, you will run through the flat keys. By sharp and flat keys, I mean that is how you would write the scales.

C major: C D E F G A B
G major: G A B C D E F#
D major: D E F# G A B C
A major: A B C# D E F# G#
E major: E F# G# A B C# D#
B major: B C# D# E F# G# A#
F# major: F# G# A# B C# D# E#
C# major: C# D# E# F# G# A# B#

I've bolded every new sharp written in each key, progressing clockwise through the circle of fifihs. As you can see, the sharps are added in this order:

F C G D A E B

This can be remembered with the acronym:

Father
Charles
Goes
Down
And
Ends
Battle

This is where the sharp keys end.

Now for the flat keys, going counter-clockwise.

F major: F G A Bb C D E
Bb major: Bb C D Eb F G A
Eb major: Eb F G A Bb C D Eb
Ab major: Ab Bb C Db Eb F G
Db major: Db Eb F Gb Ab Bb C
Gb major: Gb Ab Bb Cb Db Eb Fb
Cb major: Cb Db Eb Fb Gb Ab Bb

I've bolded the new flats this time. the order is reverse of the order that you add sharps, B E A D G C F. Which can be remembered with the acronym:

Battle
Ends
And
Down
Goes
Charles'
Father

I know this is hard to take in at first, but give it time and don't rush into it. It'll come. It's like a language. The more you use it, the easier it'll come eventually.

So just take it slowly and don't rush if you don't understand something. It takes time, so just go at your own pace
Huh???What?Can someone explain?What does the letters mean?Where are the letters located?Sorry,I'm a noob
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic
lol all these Music theory can get pretty discouraging... and intimidating.

Perhaps I'll stick to my tabs for a long while... lol
Quote by Broken-pick
Huh???What?Can someone explain?What does the letters mean?Where are the letters located?Sorry,I'm a noob

Which letters? Care to make your question a bit more specific?

And to Reez. It's actually a pretty exciting journey learning something new, it's a nice challenge once you get around to learning it. I haven't even dived into the deep end and I can already tell it'll be worth learning more
Quote by Broken-pick

We all strt somewhere.

I started with these:

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/search.php?searchid=1351006
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Last edited by frenchyfungus at Sep 25, 2006,
Hmmm.

Well, they were the theory lessons Casualty01 wrote.

They're in the Archives. Good stuff
Populus vult decipi. Decipiatur.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
It's can be a contraction and genitive case.

Quote by Mistress_Ibanez
If you cut down on these costs students won't learn so well, effecting the "quality"...
Quote by frenchyfungus
Hmmm.

Lol. unfortunatly the search function on vB uses session objets which would only work in your browser for a limited time (usually around an hour), which is why postings URLs to search results rarely works
Been away, am back
A major: A B C# D E F# G#

Yeah,the letters above,what do they mean?Especially the C# and G#..I've absolutely no idea...Where are they located?
MY GEAR
Ibanez SA160QM
Laney HCM10
Squier Bullet Strat
MXR Carbon Copy
Zoom Tri Metal
Modtone Flanger(mini)
EHX LPB-1
Korg Pitchblack
Timtone acoustic