I'm having a Warmoth electric guitar body made and I'm trying to decide between Alder and Swamp Ash. According to wood chart on the warmoth site they seem to be pretty similar in tone, and I've read that Ash weighs less.

I usuallly play a Japanese Fender Jaguar, and I really like the tone of that... Does anyone have a suggestion as to which wood I should go with?

On a separate subject, does anyone have a Paulownia wood guitar body? How's the tone?
I was thinking of going with a maple neck/maple fretboard for each. Will that effect the tone?

woods will affect tone, so does the neck material
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
^and that charts descriptions still sound like they are for beer, i mean come on"warm and rich mid and low smooth high" as all it needs is a "clean finish"
^ It does sound like Samuel Adams beer commercials.
Seattle Seahawks

Quote by chookiecookie
i feel like you have an obsession with aubrey plaza.

Quote by WCPhils
at least we can all agree SGstriker is the woooooooooooooooooooooorst
I wonder if the guy that compiled that chart could actually tell the difference between those woods in a blind test?
Quote by Mr Songwriter
I wonder if the guy that compiled that chart could actually tell the difference between those woods in a blind test?

Blind test? easy, they'll first bite the wood, taste it, sniff it and probably have sex with it
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
What does "dry" sound like? Can anyone name someone with a "dry" tone? Is there a chart with wood by genre?
^

It's one of those things that is hard to describe. How would you explaine chimey?
Breakfast; the most importent drink of the day.
Early Fenders had swamp-ash bodys, but it's also used in some ESP guitars (I believe, I could have my guitar brands mixed up). Because the wood is very 'open' (don't know the exact term) the sound hardly ever gets muddy.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
It depends if you're having a transparent finish or not, the swamp ash would look better with one because of the wood grain.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30