Anyways hopefully in another month I'll have enought o buy a tube combo..im in canada so its obv canadian dollars..I just cant decide which amp..the tones im after is a slightly higher gain sound, think new trivium..its not a dark high gain monster tone at all...dilemma is money, im going to college in jan and thats gunna murder my wallet, but im close enough that I can live at home to have a tube amp..

***Heres my options:

Valveking 112-Many have said they cant do metal which is very generalised, but ive seen various clips on the net that it can give me the tone i want, and maybe down the road throwing a v30 or soemthing in there would make it even better

Traynor 20 watt tube combo-this may be a possibility as well..never played one..but im gunna guess that the valveking will be better for my styles

Crate V series 15 watt Class A Tube amplifier- Ive been told by a guitar tech that bought the 30 watt version it his capable of achieving higher gain tones

thats pretty much it..i cant go ebay cause i dont have a cred card anymore cause they cause me hassles lol...anyways advice is much appriciated guys, thanks

Id prefer not to step over 600 canadian..
im looking at the vk112 too and i think its more suited for rock than metalish stuff
Lunatics on pogo sticks
Another southern fried freak on a crucifix
Hicks don't mix with politics
People on the street just kickin' to the licks
metal is a broad genre, theres obv a lot of sub genres to it and I believe its capable of doing a tone similar to what im lookin for, this one has kinda crap audio and not an experienced player but look:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Y1p8Zavxh90
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Gjqb_EhsCnA&mode=related&search=

And by no means am I expecting a tone of like a recto cause i realise your not going to get that new for this price, I just want something leaps ahead of something like a spider II fuzzy crap distortion..
I'd go with the Valveking. If it's not high gain enough, you can always just get a pedal like a Bad Monkey or a TS-9.
We're only strays.
go used. much better bang for your buck. don't know how the canadian dollar stacks up against the US, but I got my mesa 50 cal + for under $600.
yeah problem is im shanked off ebay for a bit, so ill check some of the local shops..but that might be a problem..thanks for your suggestion ill definately try to go that route...anyone else?
I used to own a Valveking before. Yes, using a Bad monkey overdrive will give you some good metal sounds. But it will also increase the overall noise. YOu got to have something better than a Boss NS-2 like a ISP decimator or something to reduce that amount of noise in the FX loop. Also, the metal sound produced by using a overdrive pedal on the VK will not sound dark. Its mostly bright. That is with a dark sounding guitar wood like Basswood. If you are using brighter sounding guitars, then it will be even worse. BUt the cleans on the VK is awesome! Much better than my XXX. Also, the reverb on the VK is pretty good.

if you get the VK for less than $200 (US), its a good buy. Anything more, its not worth.

-- Cheers

Grrr:
Peavey 5150 head
Marshall 1936 Lead 2x12 Cab
'06 Jackson SLSMG
Dean Hardtail Select
ISP Decimator
Planet waves tuner
Weber Mini Mass
Ibanez Delay & Chorus

time is like a fuse; short and burning fast -- James Hetfield
uhh......... whats your budget ??
Tone is all ...... well probably 75%, in your fingers.
The rest depends on your wallet's thickness !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Marshall DSL401 plus Digitech Monkey OD

Keep the faith, baby!!
theres a guy selling a traynor ycv50 blue with a vintage 30 in it..and a matching extension 1x12 cab with a vintage 30 in it for 750 canadian? what about that if hed hold off sellin it until i had the cash?
Yeah......... go with the traynor. they're souped up marshalls

Anyway, the won't do great metal though !! Unless you OD tehm

Keep the faith, baby!!
whatever you do stay away from alvekings, they sound ok but theyare very shoddily put together with very cheap low quality parts, and break down very easily, they are like the iPods of guitar amps, they seem badass at first but they you realize that they are extreemely unreliable and not worth the money.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Try a Laney valve combo(vc30) or marshall dsl 401
Behringerv-tone(first guitar)
Epiphone les paul standard plus (cherry burst)
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

I like Epi LP's. You got a problem, PM me!
For a Trivium sound, DSL, the guy from them uses one.

Oooo, if there's a Traynor going for that much, go for it.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
can the traynor do high gain with a boost? cause i figure it has a v30 in it and hes throwing in a 1x12 with a v30, which is a good deal...and whats the DSLs tone like ill search online?
^Try one for yourself, DSLs are slightly vintage sounding, but they can sound quite modern too, a bit like a classic Marshall sound, but not q there and heavier.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
From what i've read the marshall seems good, now do you think id be able to talk my way down in price a bit, im havin doubts, its 1179.99 new canadian, but i know the shop owner somewhat well..and there 1079 U.S...for that price is that the best combo im going to get for a metal slightly high gain tone?
dunno, but if you have MSN i'd be happy to give you some clips of my DSL.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
I just checked some of ur pure volume clips in there joel, u can definately tell its a good amp, with factoring in the fact that your recording setup is obv not top notch, some of the chug sounds really good, and the lead tone has a slight vintage feel to it but not that much and its enough for modern metal...

with that being said does anyone know some good spots to search for used amps and stuff online? besides the obvious ones like ebay and such..
The Peavey Valveking 112 is great for hard rock like ACDC, Metallica, Sabbath (I have one). The randall rg50tc has even more gain due to an additional pre-amp tube (Pantera, Slayer). The Peavey can be had for $400, and the Randal for $560 shipped from MF. For the price, they can't be beat. They are only 50W, but they are waaaaay louder than my Crate 60W solidstate. Can't explain it.
^No !!

The DSL is better !!

Keep the faith, baby!!
Amen to that.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel
I'd go for the DSL also, don't go the cheap route and get a VK, it has a great clean channel, but that's really it. The distortion isn't that great, you could scoop the mids to attempt, but that doesn't turn out well. Like the one guy said, they aren't too reliable, I bought the VK2x12 in the summer, only got to use it for 10 minutes the night I bought it, went to play it a day later and it crapped out on me. It might be cheap and have tubes, but it's nothing special. I tried the DSL before the VK, it's a great amp from the short time I had to play around with it. Guitar Center had one used, but by the time I got to it the store was closing, so I only had about 5 minutes with it, but really nice from what I was able to get out of it.
The DSL is obviously better than the VK, as is the TSL, as is the Peavey JSX, as is the JCM800, the list goes on forever. I would challenge you to find a better new amp for $400. I can make the VK sing compared to any $400 SS.
now im thinkin of that carvin mastertube 212 combo, just gotta figure out how much it is to ship it to canada, thing has a 50/100watt switch, and i talked to a user on harmony central who bought one and the gain sounded very brutal in a good way
2x12's will give you a nice full sound you will want when playing heavy. i would try before you buy. also i play all styles and i find a amp that takes good to pedals is a good option if you cant afford a mesa rect. or a 6505.
^the 6505 rawkz.......... too bad the threadstarter didn't state too many MeloDeath bands..........

Keep the faith, baby!!