Hi, im thinking of buy a Gretsch Electromatic, but i dont know much about amps for this kind of guitar. Do i need a special type of amp to get a good hollowbody tone? I currently am using a Marshall MG250DFX. I know, im not a dumbass, they suck major balls, but i got it extremely cheap and it was better than any other amp i could afford. (No i didnt have enough for a tube) Please dont post if your just gunna bash MG's, because thats no help at all.
My question is, would a Gretsch still get a nice hollowbody tone out of my MG? Or would it sound not much different that my solid body Epiphone?
No matter what guitar you put through that amp it's gonna sound like ****, although it would sound different to a solid body guitar, but still ****. Better off with a new amp.
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
Mate you need to work on your timing in that song.
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
Quote by Sabbz
I know im better off with a new amp but thats out of the question at the moment. I dont reckon it sounds that bad. Check this video out, thats me, is the tone really that bad?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BfC57pHHNiU

Tone isnt really terrible, the MG series gets a pretty unfair kicking most of the time. I would describe the MG's as an acceptable sound (for the price), to be honest if your in a small gig then the majority of people listening wont even notice the tone.

A lot of the MG bashing comes from people with tube amps, if your comparing a tube amp to an MG then its pretty fair to say that the MG sucks (but pretty much any SS compared to a tube is gonna come off badly). But quite a bit of the MG bashing comes from foks who havent even used one, they just repeat ad nauseam what others have said.

If you have real concerns about how the electromatic will sound through an MG250DFX then why not go down to the guitar shop and ask them to let you play the guitar through an MG250DFX. Then you will hear for yourself
^I would but my local guitar store doesnt have Electromatics. I would have to get them to order it in. but to do that im gonna have to pay for it :/
Quote by Sabbz
^I would but my local guitar store doesnt have Electromatics. I would have to get them to order it in. but to do that im gonna have to pay for it :/

Fair play, then your in a corner.

I personally do not recomend buying a guitar that you have never used, i would want to try the guitar unplugged from an amp and then try it pluged into an amp similar to my own.

Then again i wouldnt even online/mail order a guitar that i had allready tried in a shop, as no two guitars are ever the same i would want to find a good un in the shop and buy that one.

Its your money and your choice....so your going to have to take a bit of a crap shoot here. Your going to have to hope that the guitar you get is a good one, it is possible to get a dud and secondly your going to have to hope that it sounds good in combination with your amp. Its a risk but if you feel its worth taking then go for it, personally i think your mad.
Hell no, im not just going to take a shot. I never was. I have tried quite a few Electromatics in guitar stores about 2-3 hours away from where i live. I liked the way they sounded but none of the stores supplied MG's. I havent just looked at the guitar and decided i want to buy it without ever playing it, thats insane.
Quote by Sabbz
I havent just looked at the guitar and decided i want to buy it without ever playing it, thats insane.

With all due respect but unless you buy one of the ones you have actually tried from one of the shops, then you are buying a guitar without having played it. On another thread your asking about the guitar your thinking of buying and cross reference to an online retailer (i think your buying online because your short of cash, nothing to be ashamed of).

If you buy one from a website then even though you have tried a guitar of that make and model, you have never actually played the guitar you are purchasing.....which is mad in my opinion. No two guitars even of the same make and model are ever the same so if you buy from the website then you may get a good one.....you make get a turkey like i say its a crap shoot. So if you buy online you are kind of taking a shot.
Damn. I dunno what im gonna do anymore :/ I wasn't gonna buy online, the local music store can get a good deal of $1,500 AU that i have saved up for.
actually while no two guitars are exactly the same, Grestch is really consistent and really good QC, youd be pretty safe ordering one online compared to a Squier or an Ibanez or even a Gibson.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Yeah, I have heard Gretsch are really good in that way.

So still i havent got a proper answer to my question, so if anybody knows, please help me out
Well Gretch Electromatics are really nice. But your MG ain't so to be hoenst you won't get that tone, trust me. I tried an MG with laods of different guitars and there was no difference in soudn between them. For the money of the Gretsch you could get a Vox Valvetronix amp which will sound alot better, which in th end will be a better deal.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009