I got to play this guitar over the weekend and it's pretty sweet. The only thing that concerns me about buying it is it's a $900 guitar with a bolt on neck. WHY did they make it a bolt-on neck model? I know it's a Japanese guitar which adds more value but I don't know where the cheaper Ibanez are made.

I liked the chunky ass fixed bridge - you can do some hellacious palm muting.

What about the IBZ V7 and V8 pickups? I think they're made by DiMarzio in the USA. They sounded pretty sweet through the sh*tty amp I played and the shop didn't have a guitar with EMGs so I could compare the two. I'm hoping these are very high output. I don't want to buy the guitar and decide I should've gotten EMGs cuz I don't think they'll fit the way the body is routed around the front mount pickups.

COMMENTS PLEASE.
Last edited by dizturbed at Sep 24, 2006,
^ Indonesia, China, hardly ever Korea these days. Shows how much you know. And dammit, I wish I could call the RGAs cheap.

Maybe they made it a bolt-on so you'd have a body made of mahogany without a maple wedge in the middle. More mahogany - better tone?

The V pickups are so-so. If you think they sound sweet, then great, but most people tend to say that V pickups are the only disadvantage of J Prestige RGs. EMGs, however, will fit it with no complications. They fit any standard humbucker rout.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
What's the BEST ibanez RG style with a fixed bridge? Under $1200.

I'd like the Mick Thompson if the fretboard wasn't gay.
Quote by dizturbed
What's the BEST ibanez RG style with a fixed bridge? Under $1200.

I'd like the Mick Thompson if the fretboard wasn't gay.

There are only six RGs with a fixed bridge: RG321 in the entry level, RGT42DXFX in the mid (you might like this one - it's a neck-thru), the RGA121/321 in the Prestige, then MTM and PGM in the signature range. Only the RGA and PGM are Japanese. I would personally go for the RGA121, they're priced very reasonably for the features and quality.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by pifty
There are only six RGs with a fixed bridge: RG321 in the entry level, RGT42DXFX in the mid (you might like this one - it's a neck-thru), the RGA121/321 in the Prestige, then MTM and PGM in the signature range. Only the RGA and PGM are Japanese. I would personally go for the RGA121, they're priced very reasonably for the features and quality.

You forgot to mention the RGT6EXFX which is loaded with real EMGs. And about fitting EMGs inside the RGA Prestige you gotta check the pickup holder area. Im not 100% sure it'll fit perfectly inside it as the routing for the pickup holder's screws is specifically triangular shape and that'll fit DiMarzios well (the EMG pickup holder's screw is rectangular). The routing is also really, really compact and tight, it probably needs a fair bit of sanding.

This is different from an RG1570 or RGAs with extra space and rectangular pickup holder's screws and plenty had this guitar fitted with EMGs with no problem.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Last edited by madpickin03 at Sep 25, 2006,
Huh?

EMGs fit in a 1570, and I'm certain that two Prestiges assembled on the same line would not have a different pickup rout - that would be just countereconomical. Thus they positively have to fit in the RGA as well. I'm not really sure what you mean by "pickup holder's screw".
The RGA321 Prestige have somewhat more compact space and triangular pickup holder, like so, which are best to fit DiMarzios.

The RGA121 Prestige however, same as the RG1570 have a rectangular pickup holder which can accomodate the EMG

I guess its fine then if you're gettin a 121
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Not to mention that the hinges on the EMGs are plastic, so you can grind them down to fit with a fingernail file.

Now that you point that out, it's actually strange that the 321 would have triangular hinges... I've installed a dozen DiMarzio pickups in assorted guitars, and I've never seen a DM humbucker with a triangular hinge, or any other pickup with it to that matter. Oddity!
Grinding is ok, just dont screw it up, no warranty for that...
Quote by pifty
Not to mention that the hinges on the EMGs are plastic, so you can grind them down to fit with a fingernail file.

Now that you point that out, it's actually strange that the 321 would have triangular hinges... I've installed a dozen DiMarzio pickups in assorted guitars, and I've never seen a DM humbucker with a triangular hinge, or any other pickup with it to that matter. Oddity!

Only from 'nez ~
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Ibanez is so f*cking confusing. The RGA has the fat Gibraltar fixed bridge which in their own words is for "massive metal." But then they put these V7 and V8 which reading in the catalog is supposed to be some sort of "vintage" pickup. Why couldn't they just put the USA made DiMarzio IBZs like they put in the RGA321F Prestige?

Don't get me wrong, they're not terribly bad pickups, actually don't sound quite as 1-dimensional as some EMGs I've played.

Oh, and the RGA321F is a bolt-on and I think a few of the other top of the line RGs are as well so I don't feel as bad about that. The Wizard neck is top notch. I could literally see my playing getting better the longer I played. It's so damned smooth.

So what are the ultimate DiMarzios for metal? I don't want to buy a new RGA121 and have to gut it to put in EMGs.
Last edited by dizturbed at Sep 25, 2006,
I'm certain the pickups are tame mostly to keep the cost a hundred bucks lower than if they put brandnames in there. I mean, how would you feel buying a guitar and paying an additional $140 for a JB/Jazz combo that you know you won't use? The majority of people who get the Prestiges have a pickup set in mind for them, so they don't feel bad about throwing the Vs away.

DiMarzios for metal... If you want a growling deep tone, I would suggest the ToneZone. It has a very different voice from the EMGs, however. EMGs are high on treble, and TZ pumps out massive bass and mids. You can complement it with a more balanced neck pickup (PAF Pro is an easy one - sharp but not squealing). Just don't go for the X2Ns, they have enough output to kill an elephant, but in my opinion very little character to back that up.
Aye~ X2Ns are too hot that it sounded quite bad. As for the DiMarzios, go check out their site, they've updated it and there're more pleasant sound clips there. About the vintage pickups, its also preference, some think they've better tone compared to IBZ/DiMarzio pickups, have you tried it? Name isnt everything ya know, plus they're designed pickups from DiMarzio and not the actual thing.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by dizturbed
The only thing that concerns me about buying it is it's a $900 guitar with a bolt on neck. WHY did they make it a bolt-on neck model?

Seriously, why do so many people think bolt on's are tumors? Hell, you'd think Ibanez knew what they were doing when they made a majority of their J-Customs bolt ons.
Originally posted by priest.fan.
yeah, I suffered deep emotional scars when I learned that easter was in fact about jesus, and not a giant bunny sneaking into peoples houses uninvited
And a good bolt-on is just nearly as good as a neck thru, it shouldnt be a problem. Also, with bolt-ons, your whole neck will be clear laquered and unfinished as opposed to some painted necks/painted sections on RGTs. Again, preference takes its place.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by pifty
I'm certain the pickups are tame mostly to keep the cost a hundred bucks lower than if they put brandnames in there. I mean, how would you feel buying a guitar and paying an additional $140 for a JB/Jazz combo that you know you won't use? The majority of people who get the Prestiges have a pickup set in mind for them, so they don't feel bad about throwing the Vs away.

DiMarzios for metal... If you want a growling deep tone, I would suggest the ToneZone. It has a very different voice from the EMGs, however. EMGs are high on treble, and TZ pumps out massive bass and mids. You can complement it with a more balanced neck pickup (PAF Pro is an easy one - sharp but not squealing). Just don't go for the X2Ns, they have enough output to kill an elephant, but in my opinion very little character to back that up.

What about the DiMarzio Evolution? It's supposed to be slightly hotter than the ToneZone.
Quote by dizturbed
What about the DiMarzio Evolution? It's supposed to be slightly hotter than the ToneZone.

If you get the Evolution, you will get Vai-ish type of sound. Unless you're aiming for that or you're a big Vai fan, dont get it. Check out Super Distortion, Air Norton, The Tone Zone, D-Sonic, Breed, PAF Pro, Humbucker From Hell, or if you're aiming for Satch's tone, then Mo'Joe/PAF Fred then.

Again, just go to their websites and hear the soundclips, you'll get the idea of what tone you could achieve.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by madpickin03
If you get the Evolution, you will get Vai-ish type of sound. Unless you're aiming for that or you're a big Vai fan, dont get it. Check out Super Distortion, Air Norton, The Tone Zone, D-Sonic, Breed, PAF Pro, Humbucker From Hell, or if you're aiming for Satch's tone, then Mo'Joe/PAF Fred then.

Again, just go to their websites and hear the soundclips, you'll get the idea of what tone you could achieve.

The website only had a few clips for just the Tone Zone, Evolution and maybe one more. The clips were mostly the Via and other virtuoso stuff. I haven't heard anything like the music I play so I'm really more confused now than I was before.

I'm looking for a heavy tone. I want something that bites - EMG except with more character.

I play mostly metal and metalcore, stuff like All That Remains, Killswitch Engage, Machine Head, Disturbed, Slipknot, Stone Sour, etc.

Hope this helps.
I have the rga121 and installed seymour duncans in mine and I had to file the edges of the pickup tabs. The route appears rectangular but it's rounded off edges don't really allow for a rectangular pickup tab to really fit in there.
Quote by Se7en
I have the rga121 and installed seymour duncans in mine and I had to file the edges of the pickup tabs. The route appears rectangular but it's rounded off edges don't really allow for a rectangular pickup tab to really fit in there.

Hmm, DiMarzios will do fine in there. Too bad for you, but issit working properly now?
Quote by dizturbed
The website only had a few clips for just the Tone Zone, Evolution and maybe one more. The clips were mostly the Via and other virtuoso stuff. I haven't heard anything like the music I play so I'm really more confused now than I was before.

I'm looking for a heavy tone. I want something that bites - EMG except with more character.

I play mostly metal and metalcore, stuff like All That Remains, Killswitch Engage, Machine Head, Disturbed, Slipknot, Stone Sour, etc.

Hope this helps.

Are you looking for tone like those on ESPguitars.com's radio? If those is what you're trying to achieve, then EMG is your best bet. Although it may be "only" for metal, if you play around with the EQ well you'll get a decent tone for cleans. And if you're planning on getting a DiMarzio signature (such as Evolution), you will get the artist's tone. About those clips, try to sink the rythm its the lead that you should hear.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by madpickin03

Are you looking for tone like those on ESPguitars.com's radio? If those is what you're trying to achieve, then EMG is your best bet. Although it may be "only" for metal, if you play around with the EQ well you'll get a decent tone for cleans. And if you're planning on getting a DiMarzio signature (such as Evolution), you will get the artist's tone. About those clips, try to sink the rythm its the lead that you should hear.

Not necessarily. I know Ollie from All That Remains uses an Ibanez, just not sure about PUs but I'm pretty sure they're not EMGs.

Matt Bachand from Shadows Fall plays an Ibanez and he has pretty good tone. He's shown holding an RGA121 in the Ibanez book but I don't know about his PUs either.
Last edited by dizturbed at Sep 28, 2006,
Quote by dizturbed
Not necessarily. I know Ollie from All That Remains uses an Ibanez, just not sure about PUs but I'm pretty sure they're not EMGs.

Matt Bachand from Shadows Fall plays an Ibanez and he has pretty good tone. He's shown holding an RGA121 in the Ibanez book but I don't know about his PUs either.

Do some research and come back if you like. Although it might not just be the pickups, it might be their setups too, FXs and all.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
madpickin03 , yep everything works fine...and yes dimarzios fit perfectly in there:P .... i had a dimarzio paf pro in the neck for a short while but took it out..

matt bachand uses emgs in his rga's as well as his sz.
Last edited by Se7en at Sep 29, 2006,
Quote by pifty
^ Indonesia, China, hardly ever Korea these days. Shows how much you know. And dammit, I wish I could call the RGAs cheap.

Maybe they made it a bolt-on so you'd have a body made of mahogany without a maple wedge in the middle. More mahogany - better tone?

The V pickups are so-so. If you think they sound sweet, then great, but most people tend to say that V pickups are the only disadvantage of J Prestige RGs. EMGs, however, will fit it with no complications. They fit any standard humbucker rout.

i don't think the rga has a standard route though. a lot of people on jemsite said they had to route slightly to retrofit pickups.

oh, and bolt-on does not mean it's a bad guitar (especially with the all-access neck joint). but it will sound a little more twangy with it- it doesn't really sound the way you expect a mahogany guitar to sound... it's quite bright, actually.

and the v-series pickups aren't made by dimarzio. they're made in japan. they aren't great.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?