Im looking to get a mid range 5 string-i play funk, metal, jazz etc so needs to be versatile but a decent weighty bass-i know the mexicos are a lot lighter then the american ones but are they a good buy or would a cheap Yamaha, or Thru neck job be better?
I'd get a 5-string Ibanez. I'm a big fan of Ibanez basses.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Another thread asked something similair, it was to do with a bass under 1000$ that could do jazz, metal, funk.
Quote by cleadus_134
I hate to make another one of these threads, but im thinking of buying a new bass, and I have a few in mind, but I'd like some more opinions. I currently own a washburn 5-string, I like it and its good for most stuff, but Im looking into a 4-string. I'd say my budget is less then $1000 (Canadian). I play a lot of different music from metallica, to primus/RHCP, some jazz, and a lot more. I was thinking of a Musicman S.U.B, a Epiphone thunderbird, or a Epiphone explorer. Ive heard both good and bad things about the 2 Epiphones, but nothing to bad about the Musicman. I was also looking into a Musicman bongo, but that was a little over my price range. So if anyone has any opinions on any of those basses, or could possibly give me more more Ideas, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Quote by mangablade
Metal Slap and Jazz , the three "styles" you basically listed, are often done on Jazz basses.. but a Musicman Stingray should be able to do that too, easily, if you can afford it. The regulars on this forum could go on for days about the almighty greatness of the stingray, the one and only bass, that is on the right hand of The Father (COUGH COUGH UTBDAN COUGH COUGH)

The two epi's are too distinctive tone to handle slap, imo, and jazz would be iffy, but they'd be fine probably for metallica. That said, no one likes Epi quality, the feel of the Tbird (modern one anyway) ,etc. Lots of bad reviews.

Out of those 3 , MM Stingray fo sho! But if you're open to other choices: i suggest maybe looking into some higher end Jazz basses (fender or otherwise... or maybe a MIM Jazz (500ish dollars? dunno in USD) and then souped up!? :p or Ibanez SR line

Yeah yeah... i love the SR line Really versatile, cheapest bass you can get that has "out of the ordinary tonewoods" (neck: bubinga/wenge.. not too rare, but obviously not just maple), a THREE band EQ (hard pressed to find basses under 1000$ with 3 bands.. most under 2 grand only have 2 band if ANY EQ...), and a helluva lot of versatility.

I wouldnt quite go with some of the higher up SR's tho, because of cost, and the Neck thru feature is good for some things, but it will ruin your slap sound a bit. The SR500 has gotten EXCELLENT reviews (if i remember, UG Reviews gave it like 9.5 overall, by UG AND by the members).

Now some cons of the Stingray, the Jazz, and the SR500:

Stingray: many stingray afficionados (even dan, AFAIK), have stated that the 5 string model is less than great. but you said you wanted a 4 stringer.. so....

Again, i think its only a 2 band EQ if any.

Jazz basses: Most fender jazzes are a bit overpriced new, considering the features on them. They usually dont have Active EQ's either... And i think the MIA series might be just out of your price range..

SR: the 500, i dunno if the others, is known to have the finish come off quite easily. I have "pop marks", as i like to call em, as where i would normally pop, the finish is coming off a lot, but quite frankly i like that, gives it a sort of "wear and tear, i use this baby often" look.

Cant think of anything else for the SR's lol....
I second Kartman on the Ibanez basses. For metal jazz and funk, i would suggest an Ibanez SRX505. It has wider string spacing than the SR505, so the slaps and pops will be much easier. Has a pretty cool look to it too, an all around kick@$$ bass for $529. I hope that helped
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.
yeah man thanks for all the advice. My mate had an sr but it was a bit tinny sounding. I like justin chancellors 'tinny' sound but i can achieve that by scooping the eq. also i prefer having my bass high up and the Ibanez feels uncomfortable at higher levels-and i dont like the look of it. On my guitar i dont have an active pickup because it doesnt sound natural enough-and i assume the same for bass active pickups. i can get a swinehead pickup or something. I think ill go for a mex jazz bass.
Active will make for a more versatile sound, imo,

i actually LOVE the way the SR505 feels high up on me, im known to play my basses high.

and you dont like the look!? it LOOKS like a much more expensive bass than it is, imo, which is pretty darn cool. Natural finish, plus the striped neck, and many knobs.. what can i say, it looks great lol.
Quote by mangablade
Active will make for a more versatile sound, imo,

i actually LOVE the way the SR505 feels high up on me, im known to play my basses high.

and you dont like the look!? it LOOKS like a much more expensive bass than it is, imo, which is pretty darn cool. Natural finish, plus the striped neck, and many knobs.. what can i say, it looks great lol.

yeah i quite like the natural one but just the body shape isnt my cup of tea