Schecter C-1 Hellraiser (black cherry)
34 60%
LTD EX-400 (white)
15 26%
Other Guitar (Make Suggestion below)
8 14%
Voters: 57.
Page 1 of 2
Hello to all, I have been playing guitar for just over three years now. I have a sunburst fender stratocaster with emg sa's in them and a black pickguard. I also have a Marshall MG15DFX which sucks and then I have a crate gt1200h full stack. I have saved up around $600 to buy another guitar. One mainly for heavier stuff and preferrebly with emg 81's. The two main guitars I have decided on are either the LTD EX-400 or the Schecter C-1 Hellraiser. "Depends on what you are looking for in a guitar" answers aside . Can someone tell me the strong points of each? The reason why I can't just go look at one in a guitar store is because I live in midland,Texas we are in the middle of nowhere and there isn't a guitar store for at least 7 hrs. And none of them have either guitar. Thats why I need your help. If you wan't to make another guitar recomendation feel free but remember that it needs to have humbuckers as I am very happy with my current emg single coils. I am mainly a rythm guitarist but I don't want my guitar to hinder me from turning into a lead. Also there are two kinds of EX-400's one with dual emg 81's and one with an emg 81/60 combo. Which set is better?

Thanks,
Mac Tyler
Quote by WishIHadAGibson
i dont support someone that acts differently in person than they do in an interview.
Last edited by ZodiacfreaK at Sep 25, 2006,
Go Schecter

pick up an A7X cd and youll find out why

they play nice if you know hoe to setem up... ****ing awesome

im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude
My Gear:
Carvin DC400C
Schecter Damien Elite 7 string
Boss Metalzone
Laney GH120 Head
Rhino 4x12 Celestion
-OG-UG'ER-
Put this in your sig if you've been a member over half a decade!
yesterday i played a hellraiser, i use an ibanez rg321mh which is a decent guitar but only cheap..the hellraiser neck felt thicker? tone was very thick however and chunky cause of the emgs, id recommend the hellraiser, just wasnt fond of the neck..
I'd say sell your Crate and get a nice valve combo, why the hell do you need a full stack?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
id go for a jackson or ibanez over LTD or Schecter anyday

i dont really know how far $600 US goes but looks at some dinkys from jackson and the RG1570 or S470 from ibanez
Just so you know the LTD 400's are pretty damn well constructed and set up. the Ex400 is cool but not very faithful to the original explorer shape.
Marty
epi maybe
Behringerv-tone(first guitar)
Epiphone les paul standard plus (cherry burst)
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

I like Epi LP's. You got a problem, PM me!
that Hellraisers a nice guitar but isn't it $700?!?!
Current Rig:
Gibson Firebird Studio
Limited Edition Schecter 35th Anniversary C-1
Schecter Jeff Loomis Signature 7 FR
Ashdown Fallen Angel
Custom 7 Firebird from Ignition Custom Guitars (check them out)
ESP Phoenix
Yeah I know all of the tone is in the amp. I know that if I really want a heavy sound I should buy a different amp. But as stuborn as this sounds I want to buy a new guitar At the moment I am heavily leaning towards the Schecter C-1 Hellraiser.
Quote by WishIHadAGibson
i dont support someone that acts differently in person than they do in an interview.
Hey guys, heres my current update.

My latest idea is to buy a schecter C-1 (the new one) here and then put a set of emg 81's in it.

I can get the c-1 by itself for $350 brand new and then get the emg 81's in white (or black) for about $200. I could probably sell the Duncan Designed HB-105's for about 50 bucks on ebay so the total would come out to about.

total = $500 bucks

Or should I just buy a c-1 hellraiser.

total = $600

I really want a c-1 hellraiser in white color with dual 81's but they don't come in that color so this idea would be my next best shot at it.

heres a picture of the C-1

schecter's C-1 page

schecter's hellraiser page

Heres the differences between these two models. Is there enough difference here to give up on the C-1 and get the hellraiser?

C-1

CONSTRUCTION/SCALE: Bolt-on /25.5?
BODY: Mahogany
NECK/FINGERBOARD: Maple/Rosewood
FRETS: 24 Jumbo
INLAYS: Dots
PICKUPS: Duncan Designed Active HB-105
ELECTRONICS: Vol/Vol/Tone/3-Way
BRIDGE: TonePros
BINDING: Black
TUNERS: Schecter
HARDWARE: Black Nickel
COLOR: Gloss White (WHT)

C-1 Hellraiser

CONSTRUCTION/SCALE: Set-Neck w/ Ultra Access /25.5?
BODY: Mahogany, Quilted Maple Top
NECK/FINGERBOARD: 3-pc. Mahogany/Rosewood
FRETS: 24 X-Jumbo
INLAYS: Abalone ?Gothic Cross?
PICKUPS: EMG active 81 / 85
ELECTRONICS: Vol/Vol/Tone/3-Way
BRIDGE: TonePros TOM w/ thru-body
BINDING: Abalone
TUNERS: Grover
HARDWARE: Black Chrome
COLOR: Black Cherry (BCH)
Quote by WishIHadAGibson
Last edited by ZodiacfreaK at Sep 30, 2006,
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
g im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude

sorry dude, but im gonna sig that
I'm still waiting for my beer....
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Hellraiser for sure dude. I love mine with a passion.

You can keep the beer, I quit drinking.
Quote by tronsbasscool
This is my 5th account and I still havn't made any friends

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~
New amp. Save for the LTD EX later on.

Beer to West Bloomfield, MI waiting.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr
Go Schecter

pick up an A7X cd and youll find out why

they play nice if you know hoe to setem up... ****ing awesome

im getting the C-1 Hellraiser Baritone and replacing the EMG 81 with my Zakk Wylde EMG 81

****in great dude

because obviously, if you play the same guitar, you sound EXACTLY just like an artist that uses that guitar.

Go LTD, the 400 series' are sick.
Dickless.
I have mainly ruled out the eplorer for now as I really wan't something with 24 frets. Can anyone help me with my second question about the C-1 Standard? I have been looking at swineshead and barenuckle pickups and wow they are tempting instead of replacing pickups with dual 81's
Quote by WishIHadAGibson
What's your question? Which route to go with the pickups?

81/85s sound real nice. Get the guitar first and see how you like them. If you don't, then worry about them. But you probably will like the pups.
Quote by tronsbasscool
This is my 5th account and I still havn't made any friends

My Rig
ESP Viper 1000
Crate RFX120

<//////>~
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
Sell your amps, add all your money together, and get a real amp.

+ 1 million
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hellraiser FTW! It has a set neck w/ ultra access. Which means you can access the upper frets better then a normal set neck. You wont regret spending the extra $200. Now, send the beer to:
Province: Ontario
City: Kitchener
Address: 36 Windy Ridge Dr.
Postal Code: N2P 1V8

Now I'm waiting...
I seem to have run into a problem with the free beer. My contact, who normally gets them for me (I am currently only 19) has died in an alcohol related car crash... kinda ironic but I will try to think of something else like free stickers or something...

Several of you have suggested buying a new amp . Give me some suggestions as I am open to almost anything. Again style is rock and plenty of metal. I also want to be able to do nice sounding stuff like Joe Satriani's The Extremist. So I guess if I sold my crates and my mg15dfx and joined it with the other $300 that I would have left over after buying the C-1 Standard. That would be around 900 I am guessing, suggest more but not above $1,500 unless it is really something special.
Thanks Again,
Mac
Quote by WishIHadAGibson
For the guitar, go Hellraiser, set neck w/better access, bigger frets, less work
aka BETTER\
and as for an amp, try a Peavey 6505
Esp Ltd EC-400
Wylde Overdrive
Dano Eq
Fab Chorus
Boss Ns-7
Boss Me-50
Jcm 800 (to be replaced soon)

BIG
Quote by ZodiacfreaK
I seem to have run into a problem with the free beer. My contact, who normally gets them for me (I am currently only 19) has died in an alcohol related car crash... kinda ironic but I will try to think of something else like free stickers or something...

Several of you have suggested buying a new amp . Give me some suggestions as I am open to almost anything. Again style is rock and plenty of metal. I also want to be able to do nice sounding stuff like Joe Satriani's The Extremist. So I guess if I sold my crates and my mg15dfx and joined it with the other $300 that I would have left over after buying the C-1 Standard. That would be around 900 I am guessing, suggest more but not above $1,500 unless it is really something special.
Thanks Again,
Mac

how good cleans do you need?

how heavy metal do you play?

what type of rock do you call rock?

have you decided which guitar you're going to go for (the pickups in it will affect which amp you should get)?

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Allright I will try my best to answer those questions, I really do appreciate your help.

For Metal I want to be able to play Metallica Master of Puppets, basicly the whole Metallica Kill Em All album. I love it.

For Rock I want to be able to play stuff like Joe Satriani's The Extremest, its killer song with wicked nice high sounding notes.

For some other music ranges I can just name a few bands, pleae don't laugh Nirvana, AFI, Killswitch Engage, Guns N Roses, and Wolfmother.

Cleans I really don't care about, obivously I want them, but as for sound I will be satisfied with anything.

The guitar that I think I will go with is either the Schecter C-1 Standard or the Schecter C-1 elite.

http://www.schecterguitars.com/spec.asp?id=9 - $325

http://www.schecterguitars.com/spec.asp?id=177 - $420

Is an extra $95 worth the difference between these two guitars? I am starting to think so. Either one I get I will probably replace with a set of EMG 81's or some barenuckle or swinesheads.
Quote by WishIHadAGibson
Last edited by ZodiacfreaK at Oct 1, 2006,
^ well, the c1 elite has a mahogany set neck, while the c1 has a maple bolt-on neck. neither are really better, but the set would be dearer (so that'd explain the extra cost). it really depends which tone you're after- though i'd guess the set-neck one (the dearer elite model) would be better for the tones you want. also, the cheaper one has active pickups, so it'd be more bother if you decide to switch to a set of passive pickups (bareknuckle or swineshead), since you'd have to change the volume and tone pots. (emg's come with their own volume and tone pots, as far as I know, you'd have to change them whichever guitar you went for).

So yeah, I vote for the elite.

For the amp, I'd take a look at some peaveys- the xxx, 5150/6505 and jsx would be worth a look for starters. maybe the little vht combos too, though I'm not sure if they're metal enough for killswitch engage. and the mesa f-series combos, and genz benz el diablo combo, are worth a look too.

Out of those, I'd probably go with the el-diablo- but it's up to you, and you need to decide which you like best. It's a bit like me saying "mushrooms suck", plenty of people love 'em, and neither of us are right or wrong...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well I have found that I am moving farther and farther away from metal and more into stuff like steve vai and joe satriani. I thought that themaple bolt on neck was considered much worse than the set neck. And so if they are really both good just depends on your style I think I will go with the cheaper model and spend the rest of the money I save on an amp. I am pretty sure I might just use the built in pickups for a few more months unless I can find a good deal on a set of EMG's, but knowing it would be fairly easy to switch to other pickups is nice. I know this is probably a really lame reason but the c-1 elite doesn't have any dots or fretmarkings at all for that mater (except for a diamond at the 12th) and the c-1 standard comes with the plain old dots, which I am a sucker for

EDIT: I have found a set of EMG 81/89 pickups brand new for only $151, so 350 for the C-1 plus 151 for the pickups should put me at $501 total. Which I think is good for a Schecter C-1 with nice emg pickups. The barenuckle pickups just seem to expensive and I haven't had time to research the swinesheads. I can probably save 50 bucks on that deal if I sell the HB-105's that it comes with on ebay.
Quote by WishIHadAGibson
Last edited by ZodiacfreaK at Oct 1, 2006,
Allright I have started to look into amps and I noticed alot of the ones that you recommended to me where combos. Yes I am sure they are extremely nice, but from my experience you would want at least a half stack for gigs in noisy places. I guess since it is tube it would be alot louder but I a would much rather save up for a really nice half stack. I looked at the Genz Benz El Diablo 100 and it looks killer, I wouldn't be able to buy it now but its something that I could save up for. Either that or a mesa maybee, I don't know, amps are a whole new world to me. I must forsake the beginner tendencies to only be fascinated with the guitar itself.
Quote by WishIHadAGibson
i voted now gimme my beer goddammit!
c-1 owns
Yeah, now you're gonna die wearing that stupid little hat. How does it feel?

Help me to live.

I make custom guitar wiring harnesses and I'm pretty damn good at it!
a stack'll be fine, just make sure you aren't scrimping on the quality of the sound so you can afford a stack.

for example, if you can afford the el diablo combo, but, if you put your mind to it, could also afford the el diablo halfstack, go for it (or whichever quality high gain amp you decide to go for). but if to afford the halfstack, you end up going with something like a peavey valveking, go for the el diablo (or other quality tube combo) instead.

also, if you're convinced you're going to play a lot of vai and satch, I'd look at some more marshally halfstacks. the splawn quickrod is meant to be good, but I haven't been able to try it. Or something like an engl savage/blackmore/screamer, maybe, to cover both vai-type stuff and modern metal.

Unfortunately, that's upping the price again...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks again, You seem extremely knowledgeable on these things so i might as well ask you another question I am debating. When I order the Schecter C-1 Standard it comes with HB-105's in it. I have ot heard anything about these yet because they are brand new but I was planning on replacing them. For the styles that I like (listed earlier) which would you recommend? EMG such as 81/85 or swinesheads? Or just keep the original pickups and put that money towards a new amp. If you could tell me your oppinion on both of those ideas that would be great. (As in between those two pickups which one, and also a second peice of advice as to not buying them)
Thank you!
Quote by WishIHadAGibson
beer?
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
Quote by aznrockerdude
New amp. Save for the LTD EX later on.

Beer to West Bloomfield, MI waiting.

do i know you by any chance?

im here in the area as well

well bloomfield anyway

what school?
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
I will be playing alot of gigs and I want at least a half stack for that, so after I buy the guitar I will save up the rest of my money to get a nice one (such as peavey XXX)
Quote by WishIHadAGibson
Quote by Spl!nTeRgu!tAr

****in great dude

just saw this now.

Quote by ZodiacfreaK
Thanks again, You seem extremely knowledgeable on these things so i might as well ask you another question I am debating. When I order the Schecter C-1 Standard it comes with HB-105's in it. I have ot heard anything about these yet because they are brand new but I was planning on replacing them. For the styles that I like (listed earlier) which would you recommend? EMG such as 81/85 or swinesheads? Or just keep the original pickups and put that money towards a new amp. If you could tell me your oppinion on both of those ideas that would be great. (As in between those two pickups which one, and also a second peice of advice as to not buying them)
Thank you!

if you're moving further and further away from metal and more into vai and satch, I'd avoid EMG's, to be honest. Swinesheads (specifically the warthog in the bridge, and then any one of the condor, runaway or warthog in the neck position, depending on whether you want the neck more for cleans or shredding) would be a much better option. since you're in the USA, you may want to look into www.highorderpickups.com - i've heard good things, but haven't been able to try them. and the bill lawrences are still worth a look too- they're all around the same price.

you're looking at about $150 or so maximum for the pickups if you go for any of those 3... to be honest, it's unlikely that that amount of money would buy any meaningful increase in the quality of your amp (unless you're just short of the el-diablo by like $50 or something)... so I'd say go with the pickups too, assuming it doesn't make you have to make do with a worse amp.

I'd wait to get the amp first though- that way you can tell what you need your pickups to do for you.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Actually I have plenty of money to buy the el biablo and guitar
at the moment. But I just lost my job and am using the money that
I have left over as sparingly as possible. Right now I am trying to discern between the
xbucker, warthog, and venom. For different set-ups. I should be able to order the C-1 Standard tommorrow. So once I get it in, I will see how I like the pickups and then make my pickup and amp decisions. Thanks to all who have contributed so far, especially Dave_Mc. Thank you.
-Mac
Quote by WishIHadAGibson
^ no problem, man.

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Page 1 of 2