Well like 5 hours ago I have my first guitar, It's a Washburn Mercury MG230 with a Aria Pro 2 AG-10 amp. I almost learnt adam's song (b-182) intro and would like you to recommend me some easy songs to play on clean.

Any additional comments are welcome too
learn some chords and stuff first.. it'll make learning songs and such waaaaayyy easier
Quote by a6l6e6x1
hahaha "sexism the ultimate humour" a6l6e6x, 2008

My gear:
Kramer Custom Made from 1986
Framus Manhattan
Phaiga Hybrid H1
Ibanez RGT220A
Ibanez RG305DX
Framus Dragon Top
Custom Cab with 6 Celestion G12H Speakers
Learn About A Girl by Nirvana, great first song. Has open chords, power chords, and single notes in it so you can learn all different things.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
open chords first

and try to stay away from powerchords when your first starting or if u do dont use them too much its a good basic thing to learn but in my opinion brings peoples playing down alot
Guitars:
Custom les paul copy with sun inlay
Epiphone les paul custom with emg 81/85
Hondo 80's star shape(project)
ESP explorer (project)
Epiphone dr200s
Epiphone ej200
pedals:
mxr doubleshot distortion
amp:
Raven rg100
get lessons with a chill teacher that makes learning fun without cutting out the learning. (doesnt take a rocket scientist or john petrucci to realize who's making learning fun and who's fun but not teaching u anything)
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Greg Byers '01 Classical (Euro Spruce bent top)
Darren Hippner 8 String Classical (Engelmann Spruce)
Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12
learn stairway to heaven by led zeppelin, thats like every newbies first song or one of the first songs. have fun playing and learning how to play this wonderful instrument
Well, stariway to heaven is more of a "i've been playing for a month and I wanna try something that's not easy as s***" kinda song, not great for absolute beginners.

Look around on the web for stuff about chords, there'll be plenty that will just list all the open chords, learn those. I'm assuming since you already tried to learn a song you know how to read tab, if you don't say so and we can help you with that too.

I suggest learning stuff like the intro to Metallica's "fade to black" thats the first thing I ever learned on guitar.
Thanks. I think I'm going to take lessons

By the way, my left hand (fret) is starting hurt a bit, it is because it's not used to guitar playing, right?, should I take a break or just keep playing to get it used to the job?
get used to it---i had open blisters and kept playing and now there's no more callouses even and i play 8-12 hrs a day (sometimes more, not usually less)

fight it and realize that the more u get to it, the better your technique will become because you'll be more used to playing
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12
If your hand is hurting generally you should take a break. If your right hand is alright though then this would be a good time to start getting more used to picking. Alternate picking in particular is something that you really really really really wanna get used to from the start, so just take your pick and practice picking each string up and down. You should be able to pick upwards just as easily as downwards, this will make concepts such as sweeping and economy picking lot easier later on in your career.

To the guy above me: Yes, you should practice as much as possible and you may be able to overcome having pain in your fingertips, but he is most likely experiencing hand cramps, which will cause him to become very sloppy in playing if he tries to play through them, it is really a good idea for him to take a break.
Last edited by Superpartydude5 at Sep 25, 2006,
[to superpartydude5, but forwarded to everyone] yeah man, if it's hand cramps, stop and ask someone to help fix your technique (make sure your wrist is straight on your fretting hand and make sure just everything isnt messed up), but if it's just a problem of fingertips hurting from pressing on strings, play through it.
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12
well before it was mainly because i made time and didnt sleep as much as i should have. pretty much i got so excited over the guitar's sound and the songs that i loved that i tried/could play that i kept playing and playing and playing. nowadays, im in college and majoring in music, so it's actually sorta obligatory if im gonna get anywhere, but i dont have any quelms because i love it anyways. I think my friends get jealous over my guitar, because it has me more than them =P

edit: btw, today ive only played 7 hrs so far cuz i had work, but ill probably be up one more hour (over where I'm at, it's 11:25pm)
My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer
Ibanez '03 JEM7VWH

Alhambra 4P
Taylor 614ce
Framus Texan se. # 5/196

Diezel Herbert 2007
Mesa Recto 2x12
Last edited by thepagesaretorn at Sep 25, 2006,
^Wow your cool...
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
Cool . Another question: Why are guitar tabs order eBGDAE instead of EADGBe?, I mean, shouldn't the upper string (E) be on the upper line of the tab?
Last edited by frusciante.ve at Sep 25, 2006,
Learn some common open major chords! And learn to switch between them at reasonable speed, it will help develop your hand posture and strengthen your fingers. You have a VERY long way to go if you want to be decent