hi guys,
I'm going to buy a new guitar to replace the strat that i have now, and I want to get something that closely resembles the les paul's that slash uses. I can't afford a real les paul, so I was looking at the epiphone line, but i'm not sure which one to get. im thinking the epiphone lp standard is the right one, but does it have the exact same specs as the slash gibsons lp's? If not, which other ones do?
Thanks guys

Tbone... its whats for dinner!!!!!!!!
Of course the epiphone isn't going to have the same specs as a gibson sutom shop model.
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
Last edited by tommyt at Sep 25, 2006,
Yeh, go ahead with the Epiphone les paul standard. I have one ( partly cos I wanted that slashy sound) and it's great. Get new pup's-it's the closest thing you'l get for <1/2 the cost.
Behringerv-tone(first guitar)
Epiphone les paul standard plus (cherry burst)
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

I like Epi LP's. You got a problem, PM me!
thanks for the input guys...
whats the difference between epiphone les paul standard, and the epiphone les-paul standard plain top? is it just the pickups?
For the money, I'd get an Agile AL3000 or the AL3500 and upgrade the pickups to the Alnico II Pro's. I have an AL3000 with '57 PAF Classic Pickups with a crap amp and I get pretty darn close to Slash tone. http://www.rondomusic.net or check out the AL3500's as they're no longer made here: http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?sofocus=bs&sbrftog=1&from=R10&satitle=al-3500&sacat=-1%26catref%3DC6&sargn=-1%26saslc%3D2&sadis=200&fpos=46259&ftrt=1&ftrv=1&sabdlo=&sabdhi=&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=1&fsoo=1

I liked the Agile over the Epi and you'll find a LOT of reviews where people have compared them side by side and the Agile beats them in every category.
Quote by Ibanez_rawker
but I have a penis.... and when most guys have the chance to get some, they are gonna take it.... our hormones were going out of control and her 'rents weren't home.

Edit: she knew I wasn't wearing a condom.
Last edited by forgop at Sep 25, 2006,
Well don't get an Epiphone flame top, why you might ask? Well they use a Mahogany/ Alder/ maple sandwich! Instead buy this: The Les Paul Standard Plain top http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=266&CollectionID=6
It has a mahognay and maple body like a real Les Paul. You could also get an Agile AL3000.
Then its time for a pickup change, Slash uses Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II, but remeber these are low output made for lighter stuff. Slash uses his neck pickup almost all the time, so then you could get just one for the neck posistion and something else for bridge. www.seymouruncan.com
But myself dislikes Seymour Duncan and think yu should get a Swineshead Condor in the neck, and either a Runaway or Warthog in the bridge (Runaway for more classic sounds and a Warthog for more modern sounds):
www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk

But remember alot of your tone is the amp (like 85%) and then you need a good amp. If you want to sound like Slash you'd like a Marshall or similar, but stay away from the MG's or AVT's (they are solid state and won'tt give you a real Marshall sound) and get something like a JCM800 (a two channel version would be great for Slash, since its very similar to the Silver Jubilee), Silver Jubilee or a JCM900 or a Traynor YCV50Blue. If you can't afford that then a Vox Valvetronix is a great idea. Then you have to set up your amp and guitar like this to sound like Slash:
Neck pickup, no tone
Gain - 6.5
Treble - 4.5
Mid - 7
Bass - 7
Presence ? 8
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
[quote="Gabel]Well don't get an Epiphone flame top, why you might ask? Well they use a Mahogany/ Alder/ maple sandwich! Instead buy this: The Les Paul Standard Plain top http://www.epiphone.com/default.asp?ProductID=266&CollectionID=6
It has a mahognay and maple body like a real Les Paul. You could also get an Agile AL3000.
Then its time for a pickup change, Slash uses Seymour Duncan Alnico Pro II, but remeber these are low output made for lighter stuff. Slash uses his neck pickup almost all the time, so then you could get just one for the neck posistion and something else for bridge. www.seymouruncan.com
But myself dislikes Seymour Duncan and think yu should get a Swineshead Condor in the neck, and either a Runaway or Warthog in the bridge (Runaway for more classic sounds and a Warthog for more modern sounds):
www.swinesheadpickups.co.uk

But remember alot of your tone is the amp (like 85%) and then you need a good amp. If you want to sound like Slash you'd like a Marshall or similar, but stay away from the MG's or AVT's (they are solid state and won'tt give you a real Marshall sound) and get something like a JCM800 (a two channel version would be great for Slash, since its very similar to the Silver Jubilee), Silver Jubilee or a JCM900 or a Traynor YCV50Blue. If you can't afford that then a Vox Valvetronix is a great idea. Then you have to set up your amp and guitar like this to sound like Slash:
Neck pickup, no tone
Gain - 6.5
Treble - 4.5
Mid - 7
Bass - 7
Presence ? 8
^well i have a flametop in cherry and it sounds sweet enough. Looking inside the cavities appears to be just mahogany; i can't see why they'd go to the hastle of putting alder in it because it's more work, therefore money. But anyway, if it has got alder, people say that it add a brighter tone insterad on dullness-it looks damn nice too! Whatevers in the body (although i believe it's purely mahogany w/maple top), it sounds great,so stick that in ur pipe and smoke i mean choke on it.
Behringerv-tone(first guitar)
Epiphone les paul standard plus (cherry burst)
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

I like Epi LP's. You got a problem, PM me!
^

True. But since the threadstarter wnated a Slash style Les Paul the plain top is better (Slash sig is plain top)
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
thanks for the help guys. i checked out the agile 3000, and it looks awesome. what is the primary reason its like 150 bucks cheaper than the epiphone's?
Quote by tbone1088
thanks for the help guys. i checked out the agile 3000, and it looks awesome. what is the primary reason its like 150 bucks cheaper than the epiphone's?

Mostly because it's a really unknown brand, and according to AlGee, it's of poor quality.
Dude SAVE YOUR MONEY AND HOLD OUT FOR THE GIBSON LES PAUL. First of all you already have a guitar so it's not like your not going to have nothing to play with while saving your cash. second, if well taken care of a les paul will appreciate in value (ie. INVESTMENT). And finally third epiphones are pure trash!! they are mass produced economie guitars made to make money, not made for musicians, it's like buying a Doge NEON instead of a viper.
Last edited by Cloberman at Sep 26, 2006,
Quote by Cloberman
Dude SAVE YOUR MONEY AND HOLD OUT FOR THE GIBSON LES PAUL. First of all you already have a guitar so it's not like your not going to have nothing to play with while saving your cash. second, if well taken care of a les paul will appreciate in value (ie. INVESTMENT). And finally third epiphones are pure trash!! they are mass produced economie guitars made to make money, not made for musicians, it's like buying a Doge NEON instead of a viper.

Ya, because Gibsons aren't mass produced...
Quote by wylde_overdrive
Ya, because Gibsons aren't mass produced...

kiss my azz, tell me a brand of guitar that isn't. All I'm saying is that the craftsmanship is much better and worth the extra dough. So take your comment and shove it! and tell me of the 1970 epiphone that is worth thousands azzhole.
1970 In the face of heavy competition from Japanese makers, Epiphone production is moved to Japan. Through the 1970s and early '80s, the Epiphone line has little continuity, although it maintains respect as a quality import brand.
^Don't TRIPLE post, you'll be reported.

Threadstarter, highly consider Tokai Love Rock (gay name, but awesome guitar).
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by Scutchington
I like this guy, he's UG's Greek, and he just told your ass in two paragraphs. And I once spent 5 minutes watching his avatar.

A Brain Malfunction

We'll Never Admit As Defeat
I wish I had that kind of money, but I just can't see waiting like one more year to buy the real deal gibson lp, i personally don't think its worth it, i would rather take the extra money and buy a good amp.
Does anyone know a site that reviews guitars besides this one? i want to compare the epiphone lp to the agile 3000
Quote by tbone1088
I wish I had that kind of money, but I just can't see waiting like one more year to buy the real deal gibson lp, i personally don't think its worth it, i would rather take the extra money and buy a good amp.
Does anyone know a site that reviews guitars besides this one? i want to compare the epiphone lp to the agile 3000

I read through all of these reviews on the AL3000 before choosing it over the Epi LP. I bought the Agile without ever having seen one in person or heard one played and I don't know if I could be more satisfied with my purchase. If I had a guitar that sounded like this 15 years ago, I don't think I would have ever given it up. http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar/product/Agile/AL3000/10/1
Quote by Ibanez_rawker
but I have a penis.... and when most guys have the chance to get some, they are gonna take it.... our hormones were going out of control and her 'rents weren't home.

Edit: she knew I wasn't wearing a condom.