hey guys, i hav a problem, i can get a fender strat or an epiphone 56 gold top les paul, which one is better for rock?
i personally prefer an lp and i think it is better for rock, its mostly up to you, play the guitar, take it out for a test drive and just pick the one you like the best that you prefer the best quality and sound
any one can argue and give you their reason's why one guitar is better than the other, but in the end its all up to you, and which guitar you like the best, always keep that inmind when listening to some ones opinion on a guitar, the final decision is up to you

-b@man
apparently u can make a strat sound like an lp with the right pups, but u cant make an lp sound like a strat.
PPPPPPPOSTFINDER
personally i think les pauls have a better sound and feel... but.. if ur talking about fender strats... they have a tremolo bar... and ive got this thing for tremolo bars..
I'd get up, if I knew I fell.
lol, yeh i like tremolo bars 2, fenders are more diverse but dont have the humbuckers, whats better for solos single coils or humbuckers?
I got both a Les Paul Custom Black Beauty and a Strat, the lp for rock 'n roll and the bluesy roar, the strat for the more poppy sound and funk. I run 'em both through a Marshall MG100DFX combo and Boss GT8 effect processor and I can really get any sound I want from them. Personally my LP suits my musical taste better, it got loads of sustain, so my Black Beauty is my favourite. (and I think it looks way prettier )
so the Lp is better?
does it depend on what you run it through?
member of the AUSTRALIA FTW! Club. PM the_random_hero join. Australians only

Feel the Rhythm...
It depends, Jimi used (primarily) a Fender strat so that'll give ya and idea how that would sound but Slash from GnR nearly always used les pauls.

Personally I love the sound of singles for neck and mid position and a humbucker at the neck is always good, makes it very versitile.

Ash
Main Gear:

Santiago S3 Spanish Classical
PRS CE22 Mahogany
Mesa/Boogie F-50 combo w/ G12K-100
Teese RMC Wizard Wah
Rothwell Switchblade
Ibanez FL-9
Visual Sound Liquid Chorus V2
EHX SMMwH
Quote by jimi_vai
so the Lp is better?
does it depend on what you run it through?

It really depends on your taste.

Personally, I have a thing for Strats (never played a strat actually...but a squier), I hated my squier so much that I chose to oppose anything that had the word "FENDER" on it. . But i'm thinking about checking em' out soon since I hear they give a good blues sound which I'm thinking of looking for.

Like how everyone else would say, go try it out for yourself man! Give it a test drive.
Play them and choose for yourself, it's ALL personal preference.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
okay, kool
if i want slashs sound, what amp should i run the Lp through?

Feel the Rhythm...
A modded Marshall JCM800 or a Marshall Silver Jubilee.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
you can get a strat with a humbucker, but i personally liked the Ibanez i got more than the Les Paul or the Strat. Dont like single coils cause they dont go with just about any song i play, but ive got one stuck between two humbuckers just for those songs that need that single coil tone.... and its got 24 frets. and a floyd rose. yeah i like it a lot.
Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy Sketchy
Quote by breadstick
apparently u can make a strat sound like an lp with the right pups, but u cant make an lp sound like a strat.

other way round dude, you can nake an LP sound on a strat, or you cn get a fat strat so you have a humbucker and 2 singles

and doesnt the '56 goldtop have P-90s?
You know this is a tough question, which doesn't have one particular answer to it. You often get lp men and strat men- but like rhcp said it's personal preference. I'd go for the 56 goldtop-beautiful. They are the definative rocking guitars,whereas the strat handles blues better. they are very different so try em' but i'd get the lp definately (Hell of alot more though isn't it?). Yeh, go gibson.
Behringerv-tone(first guitar)
Epiphone les paul standard plus (cherry burst)
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

I like Epi LP's. You got a problem, PM me!
Personally Fender can suck my balls. Iv been put off Strats becuase i was stuck with a Squier for 3 years, i knows it bias but hey .

Id go with the gold top, you cant beat P-90s they give a superior sound to any single coil Fender. Plus they're shiny
Quote by Punk_Ninja
other way round dude, you can nake an LP sound on a strat, or you cn get a fat strat so you have a humbucker and 2 singles

and doesnt the '56 goldtop have P-90s?

Apparently LPs don't use single coils, so they can't sound like a strat. A strat can use a humbucker or two and sound like an LP.

Anyway, I personally like strats over LPs because their lighter and I like the sound of single coils. LPs are too "hard rock" for me .

I really don't want to tell you to buy the strat over the LP, you should try them out yourself and see which one is better for you. You've seen how people have come with different answers right?
Sent from my iPad.
Quote by paintITblack39
Apparently LPs don't use single coils, so they can't sound like a strat. A strat can use a humbucker or two and sound like an LP.

Anyway, I personally like strats over LPs because their lighter and I like the sound of single coils. LPs are too "hard rock" for me .

I really don't want to tell you to buy the strat over the LP, you should try them out yourself and see which one is better for you. You've seen how people have come with different answers right?

You can wire the coils on a humbucker so that they are split (called a coil tap) and activate it by pulling up on the volume knob....which would give a single coilish sound to a les paul.

Try re-wiring a single coil to sound like a humbucker......although you could put a mini humbucker into a strat to give a humber type sound.

But in this case its academic because the Epiphone Les Paul 56 Goldtop is fitted with P90 pickups, which are single coils. IMO P90's kick most other single coils into the dirt, but thats a personal preferance.
Quote by paintITblack39

^ I disagree with you. The sound you prefer because the lp is "to hard rock" is because they have fatter, warm tones as opposed to thin, bluesy, less toneality fender strats.
I have an lp which is heavy (I like the weight-feels like you actually have something beneath your arms) but it's preferenced like mentioned.
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

Les Pauls are better than strats and fenders. When fenders may have tremelos but they go out of tune alot' when if you want a tremelo get a guitar like Ibanez and ESP or Jackson
I disagree with you guys who say Strats have a more bluesy sound. IMO for the real blues feeling in your sound u need that typical deep 'smudgy' dark bass roar the LP produces on it's lower strings (nothing beats humbuckers and a heavy guitar body when it comes to deep roars) in combination with the crispy clean high tones further up the neck, which really comes thru with the LP's active pick-ups. The real magic of my Black Beauty is that I can make any note sound just as 'individual' as I want it, mix 'em together with a chord. It's hard to explain, you'll need to try it for yourself to get that feel for the guitar.

My Strat produces a much lighter sound, it just doesn't have that same deep power behind it. Also, on a Strat it's much harder to separate individual tones, the single coils just spit out one big tone-waterfall which is hard to control. It's great for hi-gain burst-like music like Arctic Monkeys or something though.
Firebird PWNS both!!!!

better fret acces, through neck, more versatile than strat!!!!

but yeah, I would say the les paul, thats's a beautiful epiphone, and will probably make you stand out a lot more than the strat too.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by Guitargod12345
Les Pauls are better than strats and fenders. When fenders may have tremelos but they go out of tune alot' when if you want a tremelo get a guitar like Ibanez and ESP or Jackson

Now where did you get that?

It's all preference. If you like the sound/feel of one, then use it. If you like the feel of the other, then use it. Don't listen to people like this who say that one type of guitar is better than the other. That's just his bull**** opinion.
Quote by jimi_vai
okay, kool
if i want slashs sound, what amp should i run the Lp through?

Big ass tube amp. I think his neck pickup was a bit out of phase as well.
Dickless.
I like the les paul with the p-90's over the strat.
Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom- Alpine White
Marshall MG30DFX

Soon To Get:
Keeley Fuzz Head
I'm unsure about my next amp.
Looking for amp with great blues tone.
To the threadstarter.

If your saying that you want to get Slash style tone then dont get the Epiphone Les Paul 59 Goldtop as it has P90 Pickups, and im pretty sure the big hairy beast sticks exclusivly to Humbuckers.

Go for one of the other models of Epiphone Les Pauls that have Humbuckers.
which epiphone Lp models have humbuckers?
could i just change the pick ups on the gold top to humbuckers?

Feel the Rhythm...
Quote by tristan123/
^ I disagree with you. The sound you prefer because the lp is "to hard rock" is because they have fatter, warm tones as opposed to thin, bluesy, less toneality fender strats.
I have an lp which is heavy (I like the weight-feels like you actually have something beneath your arms) but it's preferenced like mentioned.

Different perferences, different opinions
Quote by BZRK01
I disagree with you guys who say Strats have a more bluesy sound. IMO for the real blues feeling in your sound u need that typical deep 'smudgy' dark bass roar the LP produces on it's lower strings (nothing beats humbuckers and a heavy guitar body when it comes to deep roars) in combination with the crispy clean high tones further up the neck, which really comes thru with the LP's active pick-ups. The real magic of my Black Beauty is that I can make any note sound just as 'individual' as I want it, mix 'em together with a chord. It's hard to explain, you'll need to try it for yourself to get that feel for the guitar.

My Strat produces a much lighter sound, it just doesn't have that same deep power behind it. Also, on a Strat it's much harder to separate individual tones, the single coils just spit out one big tone-waterfall which is hard to control. It's great for hi-gain burst-like music like Arctic Monkeys or something though.

Again, different preferences. I'd rather use a semi-hollow (or maybe a strat) for blues but you'd rather use an LP. There's no problem with that.
Quote by jimi_vai
which epiphone Lp models have humbuckers?
could i just change the pick ups on the gold top to humbuckers?

Theres tons, goto musiciansfriend and search Epiphone Les Paul.
Sent from my iPad.
The 56' won't give Slash sound as good as a normal Les Paul, since the 56' has P-90's while Slash uses humbuckers. If you want a Les Paul check out the Epiphone Les Paul Plaintop or the Agile Al-300(www.rondomusic.net)
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Quote by Gabel
The 56' won't give Slash sound as good as a normal Les Paul, since the 56' has P-90's while Slash uses humbuckers. If you want a Les Paul check out the Epiphone Les Paul Plaintop or the Agile Al-300(www.rondomusic.net)

Ur right, it won't but why recommend him an epiphone when he wants and has the money for a fender or gibson les paul. Get the Gibson les paul standard for the closest slash tone. And change pups to seymour duncan alnico pros II's.hey're what he has.
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

standard strats are more for bluesy style, but if you're talkin about a fat strat or somethin with a couple humbuckers, then it would sound better. i don't have enough experience with les pauls, they're nice guitars is really all i can say.
~gtrfrk

founder of the dunlop pick fan club

RIP Roger "Syd" Barrett

"Let the good times roll"
why not get a mixture of both and go for a tele its like a strat and lp moulded together to make a love child
" the lick is simply a diminished harmonic minor arpeggiated sequence of dominant stitonics descending down in whole steps in the Phrygian mode...with a raised fourth.