Recently the man who introduced me to guitar started filtering his lessons to me. I really enjoy it but I want to make sure I'm going in the right direction with these new guitar players. So far I have two students and they're both in the 6th grade. I have taught them how to hold a pick, what a fret is, what the strings are and the basic chords (Em, D, G, A, Am, E, C). Now I'm going to let them get a little for comfortable with their chord changes and strumming along with the chord (just down strokes, just up strokes, up and down etc). After that I think it would be good for them to learn a song so they stay interested.
Both students are very different people though, so I thought Be Like That - 3 Doors Down would be a perfect beginner song (easy melody and the chorus uses the basic chords). For the other student (he's more an Avenge Seven Fold type) I thought I would teach him Back in Black - Ac/Dc and I would play the solo on electric while he did the rythm on acoustic. Is that too much for him? I know he won't be play shred anytime soon and I know Be Like That will bore him to death, but I'm afraid Ac/Dc is a little too hard?

Anyway any tips or suggestions would be awesome!
Thanks!
Member of the No-Testicles Club! PM gangster-dolly to join!
(\__/) ((_))
(='.'=) o(>.<o
(")_(") ~((_))~ ....The bunny is winning....
o o
i'd fish a little deeper, ask them what songs they'd like to be able to play one day and use that to figure something out and make compromises and goals perhaps.
ESP CUSTOM SHOP HORIZON
FENDER USA STRAT
JACKSON DK2M
Peavey 5150ii w/ Marshall 1960DM cab
It might be to hard for him at first, but just tell him to practice it inbetween the time you're not practicing, he'll get it down. But I agree with Jones, see what music he likes.
well ya u gotta see what music hes into and then teach him sumthing like that, i dont think the kids gonna be playin A7X right off the bat, but Greenday(old) and Blink 182 have sum really easy catchy songs that he can play

also i would teach them palm muting if u havent already