So I got my Fender Standard Telecaster just two days ago, it sounds so much better than my GSA 60 but I have a few problems:

First of all is the input jack meant to be able to move slightly? Mine is slightly loose, but the other telecaster in the shop had the same problem so I figured it's meant to be that way?

Also, I noticed that the white plate (pickguard?) had plastic on top of it so me, stupid as I am pulled it off and after a few hours of playing I noticed that there were like a bazillions hairline scratches on it? Was I stupid to take the plastic off, or is that stuffjust made of cheese?

Cheers for any replies.
My input on my Epiphone gets lose at times. Just tighten it up with a wrench. I've taken off the plastic thing on my Yamaha Pacifica (strat copy) and it didn't affect the sound, but yes there were a lot of scratches. Just don't worry about this and you'll be fine.
Sent from my iPad.
All new pickguards have a thin layer of removable plastic ontop of them, you are suposed to remove it so dont worry about it. In fact slightly funny story.......my brother in law bought his first brand new guitar and he was real happy with it, after a couple of days he phoned me and sounded really worried as he said "dude i think this guitars pickguard is falling apart the top is peeling off"..........................i laughed so hard i could hardly tell him what to do.

As for the jack socket you can just tighten it by hand till it stops moving
Cheers for the replies. I just don't get why they don't make the pickguards of some more durable stuff? Oh well, I'll live with it. Luckily the black finish is extremely scratch proof.
Quote by wikwakka
Cheers for the replies. I just don't get why they don't make the pickguards of some more durable stuff? Oh well, I'll live with it. Luckily the black finish is extremely scratch proof.

Pickguards are there to prevent pick damage to the finish on the guitar, the whole point is that the pickguard takes the damage instead of the guitar finish. The pickguard on my Ibanez RG1550E is really scratched and its perfectly normal, its called Played in Wear.

Another name for a pickguard is a Scratch Plate, the clue is in the name i.e it gets scratched.
When i bought my tele with a chrome pickgaurd i thought the same thing, that it was chipping. Then i removed the plastic, so your not the only one that fell for that. And my input jack came loose too, i just unthreded it and put a drop of theadlock and it has held pretty good.
Thanks for the replies, but I don't think I made myself very clear:
The whole input jack has actually started to wiggle up and down, it becomes even worse when I plug my cable in. I thought it was just a matter of tightening the screw but that will only tighten the hole. Since the whole back of the telecaster is sealed There's no way I can fasten it from the inside.

I guess I better go back and either exchange it (which I doubt will be possible since it's the only Telecaster they had in stock) or get a refund which I also doubt will be possible since they're a pain to deal with. any ideas?
Just get them to fix it.
Quote by Duff_McGee
Masturbate. A lot. Seriously.

<----This is a man
This has already been said further up the page, im going to repeat it in case you are hard of thinking.

Where you guitar plugs in there is a hexagonal washer, get an adjustable wrench (or a small spanner) and tighten the washer. Problem solved.
Quote by Prk Marshall
This has already been said further up the page, im going to repeat it in case you are hard of thinking.

Where you guitar plugs in there is a hexagonal washer, get an adjustable wrench (or a small spanner) and tighten the washer. Problem solved.

This has also already been said further up the page, but I'll repeat it just in case.

It doesn't fix the problem, the input jack is still loose and can still wiggle up and down when I touch it. Problem not solved.

Sorry, but no reason to get annoyed or anything I was just asking a question.
mine gets loose sometimes, just tighten it with a wrench or your fingers,

dont want it to fall of right before a show like mine did

oh and the plastic is supposed to be taken off
the stores put them on the pickguard so when people try them out they dont get scratched up
My mim telecaster's jack isnt loose, but the chord that plugs in it is. It dosn't have a positive click when plugged in. How can that be fixed? It doesn't seem to cause a bad connection, my dad played it at a gig(I'm not good enough yet, he's played guitar for 46 years) and it never had a problem but it doesnt seem right, thanks.
OK I'm going to attempt to explain your loose jack problem. There is a square metal plate where the input jack is. This plate holds the jack. The input jack is held by two screws not one! one screw on each side of the plate. remove the plate and tighten both screws then put the plate back on!
Quote by wikwakka
So I got my Fender Standard Telecaster just two days ago, it sounds so much better than my GSA 60 but I have a few problems:

First of all is the input jack meant to be able to move slightly? Mine is slightly loose, but the other telecaster in the shop had the same problem so I figured it's meant to be that way?

Also, I noticed that the white plate (pickguard?) had plastic on top of it so me, stupid as I am pulled it off and after a few hours of playing I noticed that there were like a bazillions hairline scratches on it? Was I stupid to take the plastic off, or is that stuffjust made of cheese?

Cheers for any replies.

Thats why a pickguard is a pickguard its suppose to take scratches.
last time my input jack was loose, when i unplugged it the whole inside fell out. I had been playing for a month so it was funny and sad at the same time hehe
i think he means the round plate behind the hexagon washer fell out, my buddies guitar did tat
MY GEAR

1967 gibson sg special (p-90's)

Crate Blue Voodoo 0212 2x12
Quote by crazydiamondII

hendrix was good but he did nothing to change popular music's path.