I have used Solid states the whole time i have been playing. Because of my location i can't reach a guitar center. So... Can anyone list the pros and cons of solid state amps and tube amps, the differences, the characteristics, and everything you know about each one. Plz no spam.
I'd use SS during large live gigs.

Because I will be in a metalcore band, and people won't give a damn about the tone because they will just be moshing the hell out, and it will be pretty loud, so they'd be deaf.

Mwahaha, and they are more reliable too.
Quote by Invictious
I'd use SS during large live gigs.

Because I will be in a metalcore band, and people won't give a damn about the tone because they will just be moshing the hell out, and it will be pretty loud, so they'd be deaf.

Mwahaha, and they are more reliable too.

lol. tube amps aren't unreliable, but obviously more care has to be taken in transportation. i wouldn't think tone would be a consideration of a metalcore band to begin with, a metalcore band would generally think that they are "too cool" for tone.
Marty
Tubes have much better tone in general, but especially for live. When tube amps are driven louder they reach their full potential, but since solid state sound is produced "artificially" it really starts to break up at high volumes. Tube amps are wicked expensive though.
Quote by Superpartydude5
Tubes have much better tone in general, but especially for live. When tube amps are driven louder they reach their full potential, but since solid state sound is produced "artificially" it really starts to break up at high volumes. Tube amps are wicked expensive though.

Not at all. You can get the Peavey Valveking 112 (50 watt tube) for $400, and the 212 (100 watt tube) for $570. That's not a whole lot more then higher wattage SS amps.
Btw, should bew in the guitar gear and accessories!
Never mind. Tube amps have a more rich, upper quality tone, especially when turned up, vice versa with solid states. Tubes are alot louder (2:1 approx) and they tend to cost more because of their superb quality (well most anyway). A good ss amp might beat a small tube, u just gotta get the right one. Alot of musicians/pros would often have a tube rather than ss-preference really though,hope that helps.
Behringerv-tone(first guitar)
Epiphone les paul standard plus (cherry burst)
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

I like Epi LP's. You got a problem, PM me!
I strongly advise you get a good descent SS. I have a 100W Marshall and its fine, gets the job, strong punchy tone and cerntainly gig worthy. Above all though it means that i know never have to buy an amp again, unless my SS blows away in some freak hurricane :stickpoke:

Id agree that Tube amps are higher quality, but to be honest in the long run id go for a good SS. Tubes are vulnerable to wear and tear, if you drop them from half a metere (which isnt that high) somethings likly to go wrong and theyre expensive to get fixed. Not only that but they need regular maintenace cleaning ect.

Go for an SS, they'll last you a good 20-30 years and your not exactly going pro or playing serious gigs, your wanting something good for a jam session or playing at a local pub am i right?
I strongly advise you get a tube amp. You can't match the tonal qualities of a nice tube amp.

While there are decent SS amps, you'll find a better sound with the tube amp.
is this right

if i turn up a tube amp the sound will only get better but if i turn up a SS it will just get worse
ibanez rg 270

spider III 210
Quote by dayz\m/
is this right

if i turn up a tube amp the sound will only get better but if i turn up a SS it will just get worse

In general, yes. The tubes work best at loudish to loud volumes. Most ss amps will get poorer quality when turned up, but somebody give me backup on that. Take a look at u2 and their ac30 tube amps-loud enough for 20 thousand+ fans.
Behringerv-tone(first guitar)
Epiphone les paul standard plus (cherry burst)
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

I like Epi LP's. You got a problem, PM me!