ok! im thinkking of buying a new guitar. particularly a new ibanez rg3xx. iv been wondering if what is the difference between a mahogany body from basswood? what sounds do they create and for what style? i play mostly metal, progressive and hard rock..

secondly, i heard that edge III isnt that good.. is it better or worse than ILT1 bridge?
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

sigh...

Edge III>ILT1 but both arent that great either. If you play much rock, metal/heavy metal stuff then go for a mahogany, it gives darker character. If you're more into progressive/shred type music then basswood is your best bet, balanced tone.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by ibanez4life SZ!
Mahogany would be the way to go IMO, but is it even offered on the lower end models?

Nope, just the RG321MH
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
mmm Mahogany think any Gibson Les Paul users, warmth and Basswood i believe its a mix between the highs and lows and accentuates the mids or Mad could post that pic of the wood choices from the ESP Custom Shop pages that show the wood you can use and the details on them
Mahoghany is a heavy wood that carries deep tones, bass wood is lighter and has a somewhat brighter more resonant tone, generally mahoghany is considered higher end, but it's really just preference, Van Halens signature guitar, which is like $2,000 is made od basswood.
Quote by Superpartydude5
Mahoghany is a heavy wood that carries deep tones, bass wood is lighter and has a somewhat brighter more resonant tone, generally mahoghany is considered higher end, but it's really just preference, Van Halens signature guitar, which is like $2,000 is made od basswood.

So are Joe Satriani's, a couple Steve Vai models and Paul Gilbert. Basswood is pretty popular for shred guitars. Balanced tone with emphasis on mids.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
Quote by invisible_man
So are Joe Satriani's, a couple Steve Vai models and Paul Gilbert. Basswood is pretty popular for shred guitars. Balanced tone with emphasis on mids.

Vai rarely use Basswood anymore as now his main rig the JEM7VWH, particularly "evo" and "flo". His basswood guitars (used rarely) were long overdue, they were all his JEMs and UVs back from 1987 -> now.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Quote by azn_guitarist25
mmm Mahogany think any Gibson Les Paul users, warmth and Basswood i believe its a mix between the highs and lows and accentuates the mids or Mad could post that pic of the wood choices from the ESP Custom Shop pages that show the wood you can use and the details on them

Though to be fair an rg wont sound like a gibson les paul...
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Quote by madpickin03
Vai rarely use Basswood anymore as now his main rig the JEM7VWH, particularly "evo" and "flo". His basswood guitars (used rarely) were long overdue, they were all his JEMs and UVs back from 1987 -> now.

Ah, I didn't know that. I was just going by the fact that 2 of the 3 Steve Vai sig models currently being produced are made of basswood.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
Quote by dannay
wood is wood

I hope you get help soon. Wood is not just wood when it comes to guitars.

Like said above, if you're into shred, get basswood. If you're into the thicker tone get mahogany.
High as tits
^Evo is alder. I'm pretty sure Flo is a modified 77FP, which would mean it's american basswood.
Quote by azn_guitarist25

Yea, I think this needs to be stickied or something to that effect...

That was a great find Madpickin!
- FJ

Quote by Landover Baptist Church
If you find [balloons in his bedroom], it is a sign that Satan may have taken your child by the hand and skipped off together to see the movie, Up without your knowledge.

^^ this is cool
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

Basically, mahogany is much more common in guitars, and therefore has higher street credit, and is used because it sounds better. Basswood is less commonly used, because the sound/ wood quality isn't as good.
Behringerv-tone(first guitar)
Epiphone les paul standard plus (cherry burst)
Flanger Pearl peddle
Marshall G15R CD
Dunlop 535Q wah

I like Epi LP's. You got a problem, PM me!
Despite of the cracked neck joint on the evo, i could still see Vai uses them quite a lot of times (probably he had them repaired but, im not sure) in his live concerts. Either that, or the "flo"
Quote by flyingjew34
That was a great find Madpickin!

thx man, but its pretty hard to get things stickied around here, have you seen my floyd tutorial which i had probably posted around 101938409384289 times.... still.....
Quote by tristan123/
Basically, mahogany is much more common in guitars, and therefore has higher street credit, and is used because it sounds better. Basswood is less commonly used, because the sound/ wood quality isn't as good.

That is totally 100% wrong. Woods are highly preference, these arent no plywood agathis, these are real character woods. Varying from companies that made 'em, applies to the woods they chose. For example, ESP commonly use Mahogany for they jawdropping guitars used for metal n stuff, Ibanez had Basswood as their "trademark" as tons of shredding artists have them as their gear, Fender concentrates much on alder-made guitar as its brighter and used for country music to all sorts of things.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Last edited by madpickin03 at Sep 26, 2006,