Alright, so i'm a bass player so I feel really stupid asking this, but what is the importance of the bass guitar, and what does it bring that a standard 6 string guitar can't bring, I'm always having arguments with guitarists about it, don't get me wrong I really appreciate bass lines and such, but i can't put into words the actual importance and independant use of bass in a song... and its annoying because all these cocky guitarists (no offence) have that chip on their shoulder that there so good okay a lot of guitarists, not all... anyway any comments would be fantastic..
Quote by MastaBassist10
Bloke is very right. Gooooo Bloke!

it adds bass..
without bass the guitars dont sound as good and the overall sound isnt as good.
My Gear:
Epiphone SG
Vintage SG
Stagg Strat (With replaced hardware and a Duncan Invader )
Hohner Strat
No name Acoustic
Jim Dunlop Crybaby
Boss MT-2
Boss DS-1
Roland Cube 60
Wires and patch cords and stuff..
bass is adds more punch and groove. also can "reinforce" the guitar and really puncture what tone/chord it is.

without bass, the music wouldent be as good as it is
Schecter C1 Classic
Fender Vintage -57 Ri Stratocaster
Fender Blues JR w/ 12"Cannabis Rex
Mad Professor Sky Blue OD
Wampler Ego Compressor
TC Electronics Stereo Chorus/Flanger
Quote by Stevie B
it adds bass..
without bass the guitars dont sound as good and the overall sound isnt as good.

i agree i play bass as well and i see through your shoes what you mean.
The bass fills in any holes left by the guitarist. Guitars are pitched higher than basses (obviously) and the music sounds empty without a bass leveling out the field of noise. Try and get two guitarists to play with a drummer, it just sounds hollow. You cant replicate a bass with a standard 6 string. I just can't find a good bassist is the problem.
"I didn't know there were ninjas in Japan, did you?"

"Ninjas aren't dangerous. They're more afraid of you than you are of them."

Beating Hearts Baby
yeah but if thats the case then its just a dumbed down guitar with bigger strings and larger frets, i might just as well learn a guitar and use that knowledge to play a bass and know a load more from playing another instrument as well.. if you see where i'm coming from..
Quote by MastaBassist10

The bass fills in any holes left by the guitarist. Guitars are pitched higher than basses (obviously) and the music sounds empty without a bass leveling out the field of noise. Try and get two guitarists to play with a drummer, it just sounds hollow. You can replicate a bass with a standard 6 string. I just can't find a good bassist is the problem.

so what does define a good bassist then? as opposed to a good guitarist?
Quote by MastaBassist10

BASS PLAYER MAKES GUITARISTS SOUND GOOD. Without a bass player there is no band, its just people jamming.
Quote by Stiffy Maximus
i smoke some weed and get naked. thats the way to write a good song.
Quote by bloke

a lot of guitarists/bassists can play both instruments at least half decently. i can play bass well. trouble is finding someone who wants to play just bass. i don't know anyone who does and is good enough.

EDIT: sorry, didn't answer your question, heh. in my opinion, a good bassist holds up the guitarists. a good guitarist can tell the story, but they need somethin to write it on. Bassists get a lot less glory because they are there keeping the drums and the guitar together musically and rhythmically, and guitarists can stop in the middle of a song and solo or do fancy fills, so every notices them. Artists that wouldn't have sounded as good without their talented and incredibly skilled bassists, in my opinion, are The Who, Muse, Led Zeppelin, Jimi Hendrix, off the top of my head.
"I didn't know there were ninjas in Japan, did you?"

"Ninjas aren't dangerous. They're more afraid of you than you are of them."

Beating Hearts Baby
Last edited by Lama at Sep 25, 2006,
Quote by bloke

A good bassist will figure out a bass line which isn't just rootnotes. Will add another dimension to the music. Provide more rhythm and tie the beat of the drums with the tune.

Without a bass, none of these are possible and you have a tinny sounding, thrashy song.
Quote by Eldiablo30x6
Without a bass player there is no band.

WRONG a local hardcore band who is very well known in the ny pa and massachusits played without a bass player for almost a year and recently found one so yes a bass player does help alot but its not needed to have a good band
A.B.C.-Art Before Crime/Anotha Bad Creatin
607 hardcore
ibanez gax 75 downshifter
you don't TECHNICALLY need any specific instrument to write good music, but as for the importance of bass..... look at the dude from tool, or les claypool, or geddy lee or cliff burton.... ask your guitarist to look at these bands and then ask him how they would sound without the bass (i think the answers pretty obvious, all the songs would sound 'empty' like they were missing something) ..... now i gotta say if yer just playing really simple stuff and ALL yer doing is following the root note, then prolly not that important but if yer actually adding to the musical dynamics of the song then VERY important.....
Yeah thats my take on it to be honest, but i dunno, i've been playing bass for a year now, well about 3, but the first 2 were very on and off so i don't count em, i always aim to bring something new to a song, i.e. not follow the root notes, i dunno i guess it just feels to me like playing a simplified guitar, so i tend to agree although i hate agreeing, when the guitarist in my band says a bass is just that, a simplified guitar... hence the post, i'm at a point where i need something to inspire me that a bass can be used in a way a guitar cannot..
Quote by MastaBassist10

Alright, this is the example I always use when people say "bass is gay, noone hears it"

ittl work in this situation too. . .

go buy 0r borrow or steal "On My Way" By Ben Kweller

there is no bass player (he plays all the instruments) and the music sounds really bad.

If he had a bass he could have made a really good album. . .

*random unhelpfullness*
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~