I'll be getting 500 bucks back from my college, so I'm looking for a new amp. I'm trying not to use more than a little over 300, at the most 350, because of other reasons (ex. a girlfriend). I'm guessing I could probably find a decent used combo amp for around this price.

The amp needs to be big enough to play a gig with, but of course, I won't need a stadium level amp. A tube combo would be pretty clutch. Somewhere between 30-60ish watts or so.

I'm looking for some suggestions of some amps to look out for.

Thanks.
Shawn
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
Marshall MG50DFX or the MG100DFX is probably going to be in your price range and they're more than powerful enough to play gigs!
^disregard that guy.

your best bet would be to shop around at your local music shops. i just picked up a used peavey classic 30 in your price range, which is a really good buy. so your choices should be wide open. however if you can't find one you like. try maybe looking into the VOX valvetronics amps i think the AD30VT is around 240 so maybe you can swing a 50/60 new in your price range
Quote by guitar_hero04
Marshall MG50DFX or the MG100DFX is probably going to be in your price range and they're more than powerful enough to play gigs!

Quiet you.

You could probably get a used Peavey Classic 30, Blues Jr, something else like that for that price.

But what sounds are you looking for?
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
^^ Guess I should have added that in to the first post.

I'll be needing Hard Rock/Metal sounds. Avenged Sevenfold, Coheed and Cambria, Shinedown. So thats the sound I'm looking for. Basically a good, big dirty sound. I could run effects pedals through it to get the sound I want, but I would rather get that sound directly from the amp.
There's a good chance I'll be starting up a Hard Rock band in the next month or so and I need an amp that will suit that.
Quote by Zeppelin71
Umm. . .uh. . .your mom touched sjones' dick. YOUR MOM TOUCHED OUR GUITARISTS GENITALS IN A CAMPER AT A BIKER FESTIVAL! truth.
maybe a used valveking? with a OD possibly? for those tones and price thats probly the closest...
get a roland cube 60
EHX Users Guild Member

B52 AT100 & AT412 Cab
Fender MIM Satin Strat
EHX Russian Big Muff
EHX Memory Man w/ Hazarai
EHX Holy Grail
Dan Electro EQ
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
If you are going to be playing shows, DO NOT go for a digital/modeling amp. For hard rock, look for a used Valve King or Classic 30, you can probably get either in the $300-$400 range used. Some people think just because a digital/modeling amp is 50+ watts that it's powerful enough to play gigs... they are powerful enough, but don't expect to cut through the mix too well. You can crank it, but it will just sound thin/weak.
Quote by Guitarmiester
If you are going to be playing shows, DO NOT go for a digital/modeling amp. For hard rock, look for a used Valve King or Classic 30, you can probably get either in the $300-$400 range used. Some people think just because a digital/modeling amp is 50+ watts that it's powerful enough to play gigs... they are powerful enough, but don't expect to cut through the mix too well. You can crank it, but it will just sound thin/weak.

He is right, my vox up loud is horrid.

Anyways, I play a lot of Avenged Sevenfold as well, and actually I get a great sound from my MT-2 (WITH A LOT OF EQING OMG!!!!!) and tigtened up with my CS-3. The MT-2 is horrible, the only reason i got it sounding good is cause It took me like 5 hours of EQing it and I only use it at low volumes. So I dont think a Vox is for you.

Maybe a Classic 30 would do you alright.
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio
Ibanez SA120
Peavey Raptor EXP
Takamine Electric Acoustic
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss TU-2
Boss MT-2 (For use with my Vox)
MXR M-108 10-Band Eq
Dunlop Crybaby Wah
Peavey JSX Head
Vox AD50VT
get a roland cube 60 i just got mine in the mail today and its great for those types of bands.
Whos space?

Counter strike source = ddextromethorphan

add me
GO TO PAWN SHOPS!!!!! I got my music man half stack from one for $400. Shop at pawn shops before you go anywhere else
I don't even like death metal...in fact it sucks. I just looove my Digiteck death metal pedal.
How are the Marshall AVTs. I think there is a used on in a music shop in town. Any good?
Quote by Zeppelin71
Quote by guitar_hero04

I pooped, and saw a Marshall MG when I stood up and gazed into the toilet bowl.

I'll give a +1 on that Roland Cube, they are sweet amps for the money.
Quote by sjones
How are the Marshall AVTs. I think there is a used on in a music shop in town. Any good?

Give it a try. I tried a couple AVT's before, the head paired with a Marshall 1960 cab, wasn't bad at all. A couple months ago I tried one or two of the AVT combos, their not that bad. Depends on the price though, sometimes used prices can still be a rip off.