watching some vocalists, they seem to be able to scream without raising their voice, and can therefore sing and scream without big volume differences. Basically im just looking for an online lesson or help or anything that can help me to be able to do this.
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Get the Zin of Screaming, best thing out there. It's only like 20 bucks and you can get it at Best Buy or Hot Topic. I know it's helped me a TON! I didn't wana screw up my throat and she teaches you how not too. It's really the best thing out there for extreme vocal instructions.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
I found the Zen of Screaming to be USELESS. It teaches basic singing which is useful (unless you're already classically trained like me) and then spends barely two minutes on screaming itself, without giving barely any advice at all.
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
if ur going to play some american idiot stuff heres the settings:

Master Volume : 0
i dunno about the rest
It does teach basic vocal training, but if you're already trained then you should know where you need to push from to scream ect. For someone who is just using their throat and forcing a ton of air out on each note, it's a really nice video to have.
I've had a year of classical singing training and bought that DVD, yet I can't scream. That surely says something about the quality of the DVD.
Quote by WlCmToTheJungle
if ur going to play some american idiot stuff heres the settings:

Master Volume : 0
i dunno about the rest
ill check it out
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
Patterns In The Ivy present ethnicity on an intriguing and dedicated level. ~Ambient Exotica
A mesmeric melange of yearning voice, delicate piano and carefully chosen samples. ~Lost Voices
Quote by TeenBite
I've had a year of classical singing training and bought that DVD, yet I can't scream. That surely says something about the quality of the DVD.

Not trying? It really isn't that hard, lots of dump and add a little heat and you're screaming. Maybe you're are not loud enough? You really have to FILL the room with sound, you need to be loud.
huh, no training here and i can scream like a pro, tho i gotta say, it's partially the pressure from your diaphragm and also the tension of your vocal chords, once you actually accomplish it you'll understand how to, but until then it's kinda a mystery.
Screaming is just like playing an instrument, once you know how it becomes easy. z4twenny does anything hurt when you scream or do you get horse? Also, do you retunda?
hmm

found it on amazon for about £9

i probably will get it, but im short on cash atm
VENUSIAN
FB SC BC TW
I think it really is worth the buy
nope nothing hurts at all, it feels good actually and i 'm not sure what "retunda" stands for, forgive me as i am not trained, i learned all my singing by ear (which was pretty difficult for me) and no it definately should NOT hurt when you scream, if it does yer doing it wrong, they way i scream i sound kinda like phil from Pantera 'cuz of the pitch and timbre of my voice. my voice doesn't get hoarse but after about 30-45 minutes the depth of the scream starts to waver, prolly because im a smoker, i notice the scream can last longer if im drinking coffee or water but usually im drinking alcohol and singing other songs (and i sing really loud with full diaphragm action when im not screaming)
Sounds good. All retunda is, is an expansion of your diaphragm and false ribs to have "extra air" so during regular singing/screaming you push from the dia and take in short gulps of air but during a long scream you have the extra air to make it last that much longer.
listen to maynard james keenan (tool) on songs like "the grudge", "ticks and leeches", "hooker with a penis", and "mantra"

hes the best at it that i know of
Just play around till you get it sound good, without hurting you. It's really easy.

Drink water during it so you dont screw your voice when learning.
Yahyah
^ no. Even if it doesn't hurt he still could be doing it wrong. Water, tea, ect ect doesn't effect the protection of your throat.
If it sounds good and it doesnt hurt him, what's wrong? Nothing.

It's not good to have your throat dry... that's why you should drink.
Yahyah
He still might not be using correct breathing techniques ect. That's what could be wrong. Yes, it's probably not a big deal as long as he isn't hurting himself, but for show stamina ect knowing how to breathe is very important. It's probably still good to know even if you don't gig, even more important if you plan on gigging at anytime. Yea it's not great to have your throat dry, but I thought you meant like drink water to heal your throat so my mistake.
Sure but breathing technque isnt screaming, but after he has learned how to scream, thats The next thing to practise. Good point.

Now I understand how you got me. Missunderstandings happends.
Yahyah
Quote by CodySG
Even if it doesn't hurt he still could be doing it wrong. Water, tea, ect ect doesn't effect the protection of your throat.

Wrong. Water is key in any form of singing, it lubricates the throat. However, you shouldnt drink water just before you are about to scream, that is too late. you should start drinking water at least 30mins before you start, that way it gets through your system, which allows the body to produce its own natural lubrication.

You should be drinking the 8 glasses of water a day, then, as above, have a glas 30mins before you start, then keep on drnking water throughout your screaming practice, to ensure your throat remains lubricated. If your throat is dry, and you try to scream, you will cause damage
Quote by happytimeharry
Man, I would challenge their band to a duel, not a musical one though. I'm talking maces and swords and shit.
^ is correct, and yes i do 'retunda' i believe is what you called it, i can usually hold my notes for quite a while, y'know that part in "judith" towards the end where he sings "he did it all for youuuuuu" but the "you" lasts for like 30 or 40 seconds or so? i got that down, my lungs aren't as big as they used to be but i can still usually pull it off. also you do want to keep yer throat moist and if it hurts even the slightest bit yer screaming wrong, if after a second or 2 of it it makes your throat feel "raw" yer not doing it right and you will eventually jack up yer vocal chords.
Someone explain how they do their screaming, don't use terms like the dump and adding heat. Tell us in simple terms what you do and we'll see if there are any problems with them.

I know SingingSabre from the vocals thread disagrees with Melissa Cross ( Zen Of Screaming person ) on many points, but as a guy who wants to learn how to scream and can sing and deal advice on it - I'd like to know.
the best way i can explain it is that my vocals chords are pretty loose when i scream, when you sing you can feel them kinda tense up and get more tense the higher the pitch, sorry if that doesn't help, when i first started doing it , it was on accident while i was singing in the car with a pantera cd and i did it and thuought "whoa, did i just do that? SWEET......"
Quote by UberAxxmania
Wrong. Water is key in any form of singing, it lubricates the throat. However, you shouldnt drink water just before you are about to scream, that is too late. you should start drinking water at least 30mins before you start, that way it gets through your system, which allows the body to produce its own natural lubrication.

You should be drinking the 8 glasses of water a day, then, as above, have a glas 30mins before you start, then keep on drnking water throughout your screaming practice, to ensure your throat remains lubricated. If your throat is dry, and you try to scream, you will cause damage

Yea, I thought he meant like if your throat is sore drink water to make it better. I drink three gallons of water a day, so I should be fine in the lubey throat things

Yea it's hard to explain how to scream, I force, not push, air from my diaphram and then I guess "shape" the sound I want...
I can get the general sound but can't get the volume I want - it's kinda speaking level whereas it seems from recordings that screaming should be louder. I've been able to get the sound for a while, would it be safe to push it out more to try to get that extra volume ( and open my mouth more too )?
it depends on what you're listening to, but remember when people are recording they're adjusting levels and can make it sound as loud as they want, some NIN songs trent is just a bit above a whisper but it sounds alot louder because of the way it's recorded, you can however get more volume, you just have to do it louder, it's much like how you speak louder, the louder i get the more i notice how tense my abs and diaphragm are, hope that helps