Ok, I'm sick of the background noise that I get using the comp mic to record. So I want to get a mic. What mic should I get for recording vocals, electric and acoustic guitar, bass guitar, keyboard... most stuff. I've heard good things about the Shure SM-57 & SM-58, but I'm not sure if they're what I need.
Also what will I need to get to put what is picked up by the mic onto my computer?
Preferably this should be cheap, as I only want to use it for a bit of home recording.
Thanks in advance.
-Taidgh
If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.
-Hunter S. Thompson
okay you need a box to put the singal into the computer, preferably firewire
I would go with an M-Audio 410 It works well, then for the background noise problem, most of that will be covered with your MAUDIO Box but still you need to get a new mic than that crappy comp one. So go for a RODE NT1A they are the quietest condenser mics you can get, and since you have a Maudio 410 box (that you will be buying) you dont have to buy phantom power because it is included in the Firewire box. Then your on your way.
I have both a 57 and a beta 58 awesome mics, but much better live than they are for use in a studio in my opion. I believe that the best studio mic is a RODE NT1A CONdensor mic, its good and clear and its real. If your going to be recording alot of electric guitar go with the 57 its got a good bass frequency and sounds good with a heavy amp.
I have both a 57 and a beta 58 awesome mics, but much better live than they are for use in a studio in my opion.

Complete hogwash!!!

The SM57 has probably been used on just about every cd you have in your collection. At least half!

Now no mic is right for every task. That's why pro engineers have enormous collections of microphones. I always recommend a 57 and a $100 condenser mic like an MXL or something. Down the road you can decide if you need a $3,000 mic or not.

Brandon
Thanks.
Just one question: I don't have FireWire, so what other uhhh... 'box' (preferably cheap) would you recommend?
-Taidgh
If you're going to be crazy, you have to get paid for it or else you're going to be locked up.
-Hunter S. Thompson
Last edited by Stagger Lee at Sep 27, 2006,
QUOTE]lol hogwash?
well i said IN MY OPIONON

Oh sorry. I should have said "In my opinion, HOGWASH".

They say that Bono (the billionaire singer for U2) will not sing on anything other than a SM58. You never really know about these stories, but I've read it in like 10 different magazines.

Brandon
So there is no cheap way to do decent and worthwhile recording???

I mean all im asking for is a recording with no hissing and clear sound. Thats it!! So amny things to buy espcieally when ur parents arent willing to invest!!!!!!

AAArrrggghhh!!!!!!!! Time to write a metal-emo song!!! Lol
Quote by hendo123456789
invincibleneo - you are one of the only people in this thread that talk sense.
Quote by Stagger Lee
Thanks.
Just one question: I don't have FireWire, so what other uhhh... 'box' (preferably cheap) would you recommend?
-Taidgh

Anyone?
-Taidgh
-Hunter S. Thompson
I don think many people have enough knowledge to reply to our questions, I got many dead threads like this.
Quote by hendo123456789
Quote by Stagger Lee
Anyone?
-Taidgh

Do you mean a Midi Interface that goes into your USB port?
If so,
Line6 Toneport "Ux 11?" is cheap and will do the job.
Then download Audacity to mix your tracks.

-Séamus
^Thanks, I already have Audacity.
-Taidgh
-Hunter S. Thompson
Quote by invincibleneo
So there is no cheap way to do decent and worthwhile recording???

I mean all im asking for is a recording with no hissing and clear sound. Thats it!! So amny things to buy espcieally when ur parents arent willing to invest!!!!!!

AAArrrggghhh!!!!!!!! Time to write a metal-emo song!!! Lol

Don't Panic! There ARE cheap solutions to your problems. The first is, NEVER use the computer microphone input for recording. If you do not have a LINE IN input on your computer's sound card (on Dell's it is blue) then you need to get an audio card that does.

Once you have access to a LINE IN input, you need to get a preamp to boost your microphone signal to LINE level. There are a number of ways to do this. Many small mixers like the Behringer UB502 ($45 US) have a mic preamp built into one or more of the tracks. The output from the mixer goes into the LINE IN input of your sound card. What is nice about a small mixer like this is, you can plug your microphone into the first input strip (with the preamp) and then plug your guitar (if you have a DI box or multieffects pedal like a Zoom 505) into the other strip. You can play and sing at the same time and mix the signal to voice left / guitar right into two different tracks.

The key is to get your signal from your mic or guitar to LINE LEVEL first and then into the LINE IN input of your soundcard to your recording software. This will take most of the hiss, crackle and pop out of your recordings. You don't need a really expensive microphone to do this. However, you get what you pay for. To get really good sound from a microphone, getting a large diaphram condenser mic is the way to go. The difference between a LD condenser and a regular dynamic mic is like night and day in quality.

As to recording software, audacity is okay but REALLY primative. Give Reaper a try! It looks pretty good to me and I use Sonar 5 Producer! Plus it is dirt cheap.

Oh and BTW, you don't HAVE to have an onboard PCI type audio card on your PC. You can use a Firewire or USB external soundcard instead. I have an M-Audio Audiophile USB sound card I purchased for my laptop a few years ago. I'm using it on my desktop now. It has digital and analog inputs and MIDI connections as well. I like the idea of having my audio card a distance from the computer power/fan and my two monitors so it doesn't pick up all that RF. (Keep your single coil guitars away from those sources too!

Doug Jones has a terrific video article on home recording basics over at Acoustic Player Magazine.
14 Martin 000-17sm
12 Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
12 Gibson Golden Age 1930's SJ200
10 Gretsch G5122DC
09 Taylor GA3-12e 12 string
15 Taylor 814ce
04 Fender AmDlx Strat
03 Godin Multiac Classical
81 Ric 320JG
68 Yamaha FG150 Red Label
Soundclick
Last edited by drathbun at Sep 28, 2006,
i have been using the Presonus Firebox and i love it. I would go to your local guitar store and talk to them and look at different options. I went to guitar center to get mine and they hooked it up and let me try it out and stuff just to make sure i liked it. Presonus now has a new one out that has all the interface and stuff on your comupter. There are no knobs or anything to turn on the actually box. Do a google search for Presonus and read up on there stuff. Hope i was somewhat of a help
-Anthony

-'77 Fender Strat
-Ibanez SRX505
-Ibanez AEG10
-Peavy MilestoneIV(Under Construction Not Working)
-Squire Strat(Duncan Scorcher in the bridge)
-Custom Built Pedal Board
-Crate 4x12 Cab with 120wt head
The firebox is nice but it's a little pricey for people who are looking for something cheap.

Do you want an interface thats Firewire or USB or an interface thats PCI which means you have to put it right into your computer? How much do you have to spend?
The cheapest non-FireWire one, because I dont have FireWire and I think it's the most expensive anyway. Preferably USB.
-Taidgh
-Hunter S. Thompson
Quote by drathbun
Don't Panic! There ARE cheap solutions to your problems. The first is, NEVER use the computer microphone input for recording. If you do not have a LINE IN input on your computer's sound card (on Dell's it is blue) then you need to get an audio card that does.

Once you have access to a LINE IN input, you need to get a preamp to boost your microphone signal to LINE level. There are a number of ways to do this. Many small mixers like the Behringer UB502 ($45 US) have a mic preamp built into one or more of the tracks. The output from the mixer goes into the LINE IN input of your sound card. What is nice about a small mixer like this is, you can plug your microphone into the first input strip (with the preamp) and then plug your guitar (if you have a DI box or multieffects pedal like a Zoom 505) into the other strip. You can play and sing at the same time and mix the signal to voice left / guitar right into two different tracks.

The key is to get your signal from your mic or guitar to LINE LEVEL first and then into the LINE IN input of your soundcard to your recording software. This will take most of the hiss, crackle and pop out of your recordings. You don't need a really expensive microphone to do this. However, you get what you pay for. To get really good sound from a microphone, getting a large diaphram condenser mic is the way to go. The difference between a LD condenser and a regular dynamic mic is like night and day in quality.

As to recording software, audacity is okay but REALLY primative. Give Reaper a try! It looks pretty good to me and I use Sonar 5 Producer! Plus it is dirt cheap.

Oh and BTW, you don't HAVE to have an onboard PCI type audio card on your PC. You can use a Firewire or USB external soundcard instead. I have an M-Audio Audiophile USB sound card I purchased for my laptop a few years ago. I'm using it on my desktop now. It has digital and analog inputs and MIDI connections as well. I like the idea of having my audio card a distance from the computer power/fan and my two monitors so it doesn't pick up all that RF. (Keep your single coil guitars away from those sources too!

Doug Jones has a terrific video article on home recording basics over at Acoustic Player Magazine.

Ok I do have a LINE IN Input. I hear everyone discussing a preamp, I dont understand why cant I use the LINE OUT of amp amp into the LINE IN of my soundcard???? In this way I can record 1 track at a time.

I just downloaded cubase. Is that good enough?? Is there a difference between cubase and sonar producer 5?

Also I installed amplitube, but it doesnt work in my cubase. Also can some one tell me how I will connet my guitar to a USB interface??
Quote by hendo123456789
How good of quality do you want?
How much can you spend?

As far I can understand you want to record your guitar directly to your computer right?

Cubase and Sonar are going to do the same thing in different ways. I'm a Sonar guy, others prefer Cubase.
Yea I want to record my guitar in GOOD quality. But thats not that much of a problem, the problem is the background hissing noise which doesnt go. I dont know how to get rid of that. Other than that I think alls well.

Why isnt anybody answering my other^ questions???

Why doesnt amplitube launch? Why cant I find it in cubase?

Can someone suggest good sound cards?

How does my guitar connect to a USB interface?
Quote by hendo123456789
Usb interface plus into computer. Guitar plugs into quarter inch jack on USB interface. Interface converts analog sound of guitar to digital sound for the computer.

I posted this in another thread for the interfaces

A Line 6 Pod, Guitar Port, or Tone Port. They all function as USB interfaces it's just up to you to decide which ones right for you.

M-Audio Fast Track I have heard is good product, Theres also an M-Audio Jam Lab.

As for amplitude, I already replied in your other thread.
Quote by ovdojoey
okay you need a box to put the singal into the computer, preferably firewire
I would go with an M-Audio 410 It works well, then for the background noise problem, most of that will be covered with your MAUDIO Box but still you need to get a new mic than that crappy comp one. So go for a RODE NT1A they are the quietest condenser mics you can get, and since you have a Maudio 410 box (that you will be buying) you dont have to buy phantom power because it is included in the Firewire box. Then your on your way.
I have both a 57 and a beta 58 awesome mics, but much better live than they are for use in a studio in my opion. I believe that the best studio mic is a RODE NT1A CONdensor mic, its good and clear and its real. If your going to be recording alot of electric guitar go with the 57 its got a good bass frequency and sounds good with a heavy amp.

How much better is the 1814 than the 410? I am considering buying either one with the Pro Tools M-Powered package. The 1814 has more connections, but are there any other significant advantages?
Gear:

- Ibanez SZ720FM (EMG 81/85)
- Ibanez RG1570(D-Sonic/Air Norton)
- Schecter C-1 Classic
- Carvin CT6M (Deep Blue on Quilted Maple)

- Mesa Boogie Rectifier Road King II w/ RK 2x12 Cab
- Boss GT-8
- Ibanez TS9DX
- Monster PRO 2500
Direct connect from a good mic (like an SM57) or your guitar to the PC will always suck. It is not designed for those inputs devices.

Firewire is the best interface for the PC if you want to record multiple sources simulataneously. It is the most expensive approach, way beyond what you need.

USB can do excellent quality as well, but fewer sources at the same time. Also a number of USB devices don't have that good of a pre-amp or digital conversion. So in some cases it will not perform any better than a good PC sound card line input with 24bit conversion.

For good quality,but cheap, the LINE IN to your sound card is fine and it will not cause any hiss/crackle. If you only have one source, it is fine.

You can connect your AMP's headphone output to your sound card LINE in-use a stereo cable. I don't know what AMP you have to no whether it also has a standard line out which might work and you can avoid the mic altogether with that route as well. I would certainly try this path from your amp first, before spending $100's. This cable would be about $10 and that is all you probably need at this point.
GET THE PG58!!!! it's amazing! for just $60, it's a GREAT BUY! it's got barely any noise and records very well!!! DON'T get the SM58!! that mic's a waste of money compared to this one!
How do I change my recording to an mp3 format blablabla? I just want to upload my recordings to my purevolume or myspace.
Baby, can you dig your man?
He's a righteous man,
Baby, can you dig your man?

- Larry Underwood
To convert to MP3 format you need an MP3 encoder. These are commercially available with products like Acoustica, but you can also get a free MP3 encoder. Just Google "free MP3 encoder" and you'll get a number of options. Lame MP3 is one of the most popular free ones.
14 Martin 000-17sm
12 Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass
12 Gibson Golden Age 1930's SJ200
10 Gretsch G5122DC
09 Taylor GA3-12e 12 string
15 Taylor 814ce
04 Fender AmDlx Strat
03 Godin Multiac Classical
81 Ric 320JG
68 Yamaha FG150 Red Label
Soundclick
I got a roland micro cube, and i use the rec out to plug into the line in of my sound card. But i get a lot of hissing. Do I need a sound card or a USB interface?
Quote by hendo123456789
Well I bought a track pack le from guitarcenter that includes the newer version of the tascom us-122L and by far it works great!

If you're looking for an easy way to get your sound right, I suggest picking up one of these cheap packs..they are no more than $200.

It'll save you the trip of trying to find a better way to get your guitar sound on your computer, not to mention cubase can be very difficult to work with at times but once you figure out things, you can find almost infinite possibilities with its ever-changing multi track system...and yes I believe this is the same one you're talking about from musicians friend, I recomend their site as well, they're pretty good!

I play guitar and like recording both that and my vocals then combining both.
Sometimes I'll swing in some midi/audio from my keyboard to give it a better taste, I'm still trying to work on how I add in drums, I'll probably make a thread for it!! lol

Anyways! I saw you're thread, and figured I'd tell you a little bit more about the us-122L , and I'm looking to record the same quality you're looking for, and this pretty much does it for the amount you spend on it!! It's really great, for people just looking to do minor adjustments to their recording at home instead of fully relying on a comp mic and the sound recorder program that comes with every computer...

If you have any other questions, we might be able to help each other out!! I'm new to using ultimateguitar as a forum site!!