hey everyone i need a little help

what is the best way to mic a Line 6 Spider 2amp for recording

i have a MR8 recorder

i've tried the output jack on my amp. It looses all the gain when i use that, and i don't know where to mic the amp

any help would be much appreciated
use a mic and put it 2 feet away from the speaker, line 6 amps sound like balls when recorded directly from the output
Endorsed by Framus Amps

Quote by primusfan
you shoulda lynched that nigger.

*spits in spittoon and feels up his cousin*
Use a dynamic mic or something that can handle high SPL. A Shure SM57 will work fine.

As far as placement, I like to align the mic with the cone of the speaker. I prefer to set the mic within inches of the speaker, but not always.

Experiment with different mics and different placement. Move everything around. I've built boxes around amps and draped blankets over the mic and cabinet. Set it up. Listen to the recording. Move the mic. Listen to the recording again. Unfortunately, there is no "right" way, but practice makes perfect.
actually, I think using the direct output sounds loads better than using a mic, at least with the spider 2. You just have to adjust the volume levels to get good quality.

Check out my sig for some direct output Spider recordings.
actually, I think using the direct output sounds loads better than using a mic, at least with the spider 2. You just have to adjust the volume levels to get good quality

I'd rather get stabbed in the eye than use a direct guitar for 99.99% of guitar work I do.

You have your work cut out using a cheap sounding amp (assuming that the Spider 2 is remotely close in lack of tone to the original). Either way, the best way to mic a guitar amp is to put the mic in the best spot. Only your studio monitors can tell you that one.

Assuming your playing is solid and the song is worth recording, the amp is at least 90% of the equation. I can make many different mics work if I have control over the amp. I don't consider the mic placement on a guitar to be mega mega critical. Having control over the tone controls is, however.

Brandon
mic placement changes the sound pretty drastically
it's not the same to have it centered than to have it off to the side...or 5 feet from the speakers
mic placement changes the sound pretty drastically

Agreed. Maybe my last post was taken out of context a little bit.

However, I'm convinced that even if you find the perfect mic placement for any source, you are still at the mercy of the source.

I've wasted hundreds of hours micing electric guitar cabs thinking that moving the mic one inch would make my recordings explode with pro sounding fidelity. This will never happen unless the source is MONEY! In my experience, the Line6 stuff is more like WASTE OF MONEY! No offense intended.

Brandon
i took your advice and monkeyed around with it

i really like my amp

i placed it at the logo and pointed it toward the middle and it sounds pretty good