So I was looking at DiMarzio's site and they have three type of humbuckers listed, High, Medium, and Vintage. What's the difference of each?
Quote by TooLateForRoses
So I was looking at DiMarzio's site and they have three type of humbuckers listed, High, Medium, and Vintage. What's the difference of each?

High output, good for heavy distortion (metal)

Medium, good for rock, hard rock, heavier classic stuff, pretty good for lots of clean tones

Vintage, good for replicating old sounds, old fuzz, old distortion, you get the idea... good for cleans.
^^^ That's the most basic way to put it. But that's not all.

Of course the output of a pickup is one variable to consider but the voicing will make a difference as well. There are a ton of players who use medium output (Satch, Vai, Petrucci) and get modern/metal sounds as well as plenty of vinatge users (Slash) as well.

You need to consider the balance of the pickup. Many high output pickups emphasize treble, some come with a built in mid scoop. Medium and vintage pickups can come in lots of different designs, many with emphasized mids; be careful when you choose.
It's a fine line between clever and stupid.
i second both of those, and add this:

you can get plenty of distortion out of a vintage output pickup, if your amp has enough gain, or you use one (or more!) boost pedals... but it'll still sound kind of vintage-ish.

And vice versa with a modern pickup- put it through a clean channel, roll down your guitar's volume control, and you'll probably have a near enough totally clean tone- but it'll most likely sound modern...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?