Narrowed it down to these two. Which one would you personally prefer to buy, and why? I love the body of the S series and the tone, and the Stratocaster seems like a versatile guitar. Thanks for your input.
style, amp, price range, other preferences

WE NEED INFO
Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Can't really go wrong with either. I'd probably go with the s series myself because they are bargains at the moment because the standard s series has a nice trem on it which is unusual for ibanez to put on there lower end instruments.
Tunes, gear and other random stuff can be found in my "UG" profile if you click my name
Which exact S series were you planning on buying?
Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new.
I would choose an S series personally, but we really do need more info about your budget/style/current gear.
I will show you something different from either
Your shadow in the morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you
I will show you fear in a handful of dust
S series!
When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.
-Jimi Hendrix
Right now, I have an Ibanez RG4EX1 and a Crate FXT120. I play pretty much a jist of everything, but mostly metal. I have 450-600 to spend.
If you have any notion to trade the guitar in or sell it someday I suggest an American Fender Stratocaster.
^ wonderful piece of objective advice, ain't it?

Hey, if you like the shape and tone of the S, just get the S470. A strat's versatile, but so is the Saber. I'd argue that HSH is more versatile than SSS or HSS if you like your options to be plenty. S also has a rather awesome trem unit that will serve you well and ease some of the issues associated with a traditional Floyd while still giving you all the features.
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
i went to the local guitar shop today and they happened to have a black s470 there. i played it and i absolutely loved it. it's only 500 bucks as well. it had a fast neck and i could play solos more cleaner and precise on that thing. im 70% leaning toward that. and i am thinking about selling my RG again.
S for sure it can get most strat tones except for the super chimy buddy holly twangin but sound more like a paul than a strat ever will.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
Ibanez guitars are great... for for overpriced firewood. Get a fender.

Lawl guys, i'm too cool to bandwagon with ibanez, so i'll bandwagon with ibanez haters. Omg you should get a hollowbody to play metal, that's top notch advice!

In all seriousness, S series.
Originally posted by priest.fan.
yeah, I suffered deep emotional scars when I learned that easter was in fact about jesus, and not a giant bunny sneaking into peoples houses uninvited
You cant get a good Fender for the price that the S series is, so go Ibanez. You don't want a MIM strat. :x The S series is a good value for the money. I just bought a YJM strat, but was looking at the sz720 before, but had to get the YJM because I've wanted it 4 years. Anyways, your best bet would be to play it for yourself and see which one you like better. Even though we might suggest something, you might not like it. Good luck.
Quote by ssguitarhero111
i went to the local guitar shop today and they happened to have a black s470 there. i played it and i absolutely loved it. it's only 500 bucks as well. it had a fast neck and i could play solos more cleaner and precise on that thing. im 70% leaning toward that. and i am thinking about selling my RG again.

Buy both 2nd hand-i have a black s270-the old version of the s470 (but without the new horrible inlays) and a 1989 USA strat-got them for $550 combined. The s270 is versitile in distortion but its cleans arent great-unless you bought a good single coil or Jazz HB. I consider the s270 my Metal guitar.

The strat is the ultimate versitility and the best clean tones, but i can solo a helluva lot easier on the s270. Also get a USA strat cos the Mexicans are covered in Guacamole
S270 has a horrible tremolo instead of the horrible inlays...
Fender Japan Stratocaster Ibanez Pro540 Power Ibanez Pro540 Saber Ibanez 430S Ibanez S540 Charvel LSXIII w/GraphTech Ghost MIDI Parker Fly Artist Ibanez S1220 Mesa F30 Roland GR20 Roland Microcube + IBANEZ TREMS STILL SUCK!
Quote by pifty
S270 has a horrible tremolo instead of the horrible inlays...

no it doesnt-well at least not on mine
i'd love to buy a used s series, matter of fact i saw a plum colored one yesterday with the wizard 1 neck for 279. but the trem was all rusted up and the guitar was overly used, and i preferred the ZR trem. any other insight?
ehhh to be honest i aint a big fan of ibanez (RGs especially) because i really dont like the tone. Im speaking mainly about RGs because havent played many S series. but if you play mostly metal you should get an s series because fenders arent the best first choice for metal.. I have a fender strat and even with the humbucker its not very good for metal. strats and fat strats are more suited to everything else except metal. plus you already said you liked it so go for it and be happy.
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100