Here's the story. I tried out an Epiphone Flying V, which I quite like in the music shop. Of course, the stock pickups are averagely ok. My parents said that they'd buy it for Xmas.

Now the thing is, I want to save up some money to get pickups before hand. The kind of style I'm aimign for is the Dave Navarro, Jane's Addiction/Red Hot Chili Peppers kind of sound. I know I won't get the sound spot-on, obviously.

Any suggestions for the neck humbucker and the bridge humbucker?
Wait until you actually own the thing, brother. That one you played was a floor model, probably has ****ty strings and all kinds of gross stuff all over it. The one you'll be getting will/should be brand new, and will/should sound better. And it will sound different through your set-up (I doubt you tried it out with a Frontman 15R and a Digitech Grunge Pedal in the guitar store), so just wait until you get the guitar before you decide to tear it appart.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
try Duncan pickups.
EMO
The protagonist sees the dragon and moans about how hard it will be to get the princess to fall in love with him, he gets eaten. The princess is very happy, because he was a whiny fag anyway.

Quote by kanguuu
its old, good, but old lol
Quote by Will_Minus
Wait until you actually own the thing, brother. That one you played was a floor model, probably has ****ty strings and all kinds of gross stuff all over it. The one you'll be getting will/should be brand new, and will/should sound better. And it will sound different through your set-up (I doubt you tried it out with a Frontman 15R and a Digitech Grunge Pedal in the guitar store), so just wait until you get the guitar before you decide to tear it appart.

I can't believe I didn't think of that. Thanks man. Although I did try it out with the 15G and the 15R is just with reverb added on, I believe?

But you are right. Unless, I borrow my mate's unmodified Flying V which is the one I'll be getting; and run it through my set up. Should I?
no
dont get new guitar
get a new amp
[member of UG's Slide Player Legion
PM Shedmeiser101 to join if your feelin dem blues
Quote by spaminator101
no
dont get new guitar
get a new amp

My amp's alright at the moment. When I gig, I always use my mate's dad's Orange cabs and heads. Pretty much, the amp isn't a problem. Besides my birthday is 2 months after Xmas anyway :P
Well, my mate brought over his Flying V to my house. His one's ordered from the same place. So anyhow, I run it through my set; it's alright. Although for some reason, the bridge pickup wasn't to my taste. The neck pickup was alright, but doesn't quite cut it.

I was thinking of a Seymour Duncan JB for the bridge, but then it'd just distorted all the time, and I wouldn't have much choice of clean, not distorted sounds. Why go for a JB when you can use a Boss DS-2 or whatever. So I'm not exactly sure.

Anyone got an idea of what pickups?
well what kind of sound are you going for? were your pick-ups too bassy, too bright?
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
What do you mean a JB would be distorted all the time? The JB has pretty good clean tone in fact. not as good as say a vintage PAF but its not bad. if you are looking at duncans, the jb/jazz is always a good choice, and the pearly gates is nice too. as far as gibson goes, i hear good thigns about '57 classics.
So do you have anything interesting to play?
mod it for some p-90s, or get some gibson classic 57 plus pickups, maby burstbuckers even..
I'm aiming for a bright sound, but bit bassy if needed. Will the Pearly Gates, or the Gibson '57 classics be able to reproduce the sound I'm kind of going for?
57 Classics are pretty bassy. They give a wonderful jazz sound. The cleans are pretty nice, but they sound better with a bit of crunch added. The 57 Classic Plus is pretty much the same but has a more defined mid and treble. 57 Classic Plus's sound amazign distorted, but are also very good clean.
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio with 57 classic and 57 classic plus.

Jackson DK2 Dinky

1984 Marshall 50w Amp

25w Frontman DSP
Quote by Feenux857
57 Classics are pretty bassy. They give a wonderful jazz sound. The cleans are pretty nice, but they sound better with a bit of crunch added. The 57 Classic Plus is pretty much the same but has a more defined mid and treble. 57 Classic Plus's sound amazign distorted, but are also very good clean.

I'll have to consider checking these out. Is the Plus one more expensive?
The Plus is only $10- $20 more expensive, but definitely worth it. I love mine to death. They give an amazing classic rock sound and are also surprisingly good for punk and other music as well. I think theyre very versatile.
Epiphone Goth Les Paul Studio with 57 classic and 57 classic plus.

Jackson DK2 Dinky

1984 Marshall 50w Amp

25w Frontman DSP
yea the 57 plus is also a little hotter so thats pretty nice, if you go to a dealer you can prolly get a set of them for 200 out the door.