It's fine with me.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Are you kidding me? Alternate picking only makes your playing more smooth and fast. Less effort, more sound faster. Do it.
Quote by Devon_555
Are you kidding me? Alternate picking only makes your playing more smooth and fast. Less effort, more sound faster. Do it.

I can alternate pick, as I'm a shredder, sort of. But when I decide to play the blues, which was pretty much what I played until I got into metal, I feel guilty by using techniques I learned by shredding. I'm afraid the Blues Mafia will call me a heretic.
Quote by Holy Katana
I can alternate pick, as I'm a shredder, sort of. But when I decide to play the blues, which was pretty much what I played until I got into metal, I feel guilty by using techniques I learned by shredding. I'm afraid the Blues Mafia will call me a heretic.

the use of techniques from different genres of music, when done correctly, is only evidence of a well-rounded guitarist. if people do not respect your incorporation of various techniques not natural to the blues world, they're probably just jealous that they can't pull a tapping and shredding solo out of nowhere and put it into blues. Listen to Van Halen's "Ice Cream Man". i think you'll kind of pick up on what I mean.
Last edited by theguitarman10 at Sep 25, 2006,
AP has probably been used since the lute was invented.

If you're going to say it is not true then using a plectrum full stop would be even "worse".
I never thought AP was a "shred technique" just one of the first things I learned and I cant really stop doing it. Though B.B. King doesnt do it becuase he said he doesnt have as much control.

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
Quote by Holy Katana

Good technique is truly something to look down upon...

At the end of the day, it's the sound that comes out that matters. If you like the sound, stick with it.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
well its not frowned on or anything but its up to you if you use it or not. like someone said, BB king doesnt do it, he says he cant control it but i bet he thought that at first and just gave up on it. im sure if he kept up with it he could have done it. jimi hendrix actually used alot of down strokes. he did alternate pick but he used alot of down strokes. he knew when to use both.but he also used a lot of legato so that he didnt need to pick every note he played. just play how ever is best for you. i alternate pick but there is a bunch of stuff that i do down strokes on and some other things i only do with up strokes.
Learn to alternate pick, then forget it, it will serve you well... you will know instinctively when to apply it the next time you need to.. always good to have a wide knowledge of things and dont just make excuses not to learn a new method
ya, it definetly will serve you well as it makes you much faster, and with blues or jazz, its good to be fast for some of those cool solos you can do.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
justin, that was easily the most inspiring, helpful piece of advice anyone has ever given me in regards to my musical pursuits.

Screaming Help
stevie ray vaughan wouldn't be who he was without some of his alternate picking stuff.
I really don't see why AP would be looked down upon, to me its just something that helps you play faster material....not all the blues is slow : /
I'm breathing so I guess I'm still alive.

Quote by PaperStSoapCo
get new friends. i dont associate with Fall Out Boy fans. they deserve cancer and humiliation. like ass cancer.
Yeah I cant see a blues guitarist shun you becuase you AP, thats just stupid.

Don't want to be an actor pretending on the stage
Don't want to be a writer with my thoughts out on the page
Don't want to be a painter 'cause everyone comes to look
Don't want to be anything where my life's an open book

Phish - Waste
Quote by IrishBlues
I never thought AP was a "shred technique"

Yeah, I was going to say that, can't remmeber why I deleted it now.
I was actually shocked reading this thread.

The very notion of ANY genre of guitar music "frowning" on AP had never even entered my mind for a second.

I can think of pick-haters, (some bassists and classical guitarists) but not a certain pick style... why, that's just silly.

Cheers
-Falcatarius
Quote by Falcatarius
I was actually shocked reading this thread.

The very notion of ANY genre of guitar music "frowning" on AP had never even entered my mind for a second.

I can think of pick-haters, (some bassists and classical guitarists) but not a certain pick style... why, that's just silly.

Cheers
-Falcatarius

IMO looking down on any technique is pure ignorance, any technique can be applied to almost any genra of music.
TEEP!!! Oiiiiiiieeeeeeeyyy!!!!!!
IMO looking down on any technique is pure ignorance, any technique can be applied to almost any genra of music.

Precisely.
Quote by Neon Knight

... But shred sucks!
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Jesus if someone raggs you out because of the way you pick, they've got problems. To be honest, if I were a teacher, I'd be concerned that my student couldn't alternate pick, it's extremely limiting NOT to do it.