I know you guys see these threads all the time. but i'm really lookin for some help here. I would ask my dad but he hasnt played guitar since I was like 5 (I'm currently 15). He used to have a black walnut strat with 22k gold, it was made in lower 1980's he cant remeber the exact year. It was really nice though, he sold it for ALOT of money. He sold it a while back, and hasnt been around guitars as much since so he can't help me with all the new guitars that came out since then.

ANYWAYS, Im looking for a new keeper guitar for around $400-$500 that I won't outgrow. I plan to get upgrades for it at Christmas time. I like to play basically everything except heavy metal, and my favorite is punk rock, but i also like to play classic metal, like AC/DC, Black Sabbath, ect. I have a Crate G40C XL amp. Anything else you guys need to know jus tlet me know

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
for punk try an Epi Les Paul Standard or a Fat Strat....22 fret strat for classic rock I...pretty much recommend the same thing.
I would look at the S series Ibanez's. But I suppose a low end SG would do ( Although I despise the things)
Gear

Son Of Beast *IDW it anymore*
Peavey 6505+ Head
Marshall 1960A Cab

Quote by Draken
Guys relax if you can't joke about genocide then what can you do?
I've heard good things about S seriees, any one in particular in my price range. What's so bad about SG's?
Its just my opinion. I just really don't like the feel, same with Les Pauls. I must be one of the few though.

There is nothing technically wrong with them, like I said, I just don't like them.
Gear

Peavey 6505+ Head
Marshall 1960A Cab

Quote by Draken
sg's pwn
MY GEAR

1967 gibson sg special (p-90's)

Crate Blue Voodoo 0212 2x12
Quote by crazydiamondII

hendrix was good but he did nothing to change popular music's path.
Quote by eyeownyu
sg's pwn

And how does this help him?

Go here to look at the Ibanez S series guitars

http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/series.asp?s=s&l=e

and the best place to buy them on the net IMO is Americanmusical.com
Gear

Peavey 6505+ Head
Marshall 1960A Cab

Quote by Draken
Get a 2nd hand Strat, or an early 80's Japanese Squier Strat. Avoid low end guitars as they're all (99%) poorly built , especially Ibanez. Its funny, Ibanez had to bring out a whole new range, 'Prestige', to label the guitars that they actually build properly.
Quote by licitanarchy
Its just my opinion. I just really don't like the feel, same with Les Pauls. I must be one of the few though.

There is nothing technically wrong with them, like I said, I just don't like them.

Ahh I see, it's not about quality just personal preference and feel. I'll try some of the guitars you guys recommemded at my local guitar shop and see which one i like best. They're cool down there and will proabably give me a good deal on one .
Yes, but you should probably learn about what you want to buy before you go into a shop. I have a friend who was duped into buying a Hartke amp and cab for a metal tone, when there was a Randall right next to it. So sad...
Gear

Peavey 6505+ Head
Marshall 1960A Cab

Quote by Draken
Yea but these guys have been around since my dad first started delivering to them 16 years ago i think so he knows them pretty well.(My dad's a UPS man, thats right, a UPS man.) And my best friend always get's his stuff there and he's going with me when I go to the shop. So I dont thik i'll get duped into buying a peice of crap