Metal Master. They are good for tones, they have a really hardcore sound even on crappy amps. i never played a metal zone. sorry dude.
they are both pretty crappy, if you want a good hi gain distortion pedal in that price range gat an electro harmonix metal muff, i got one to replace my metal master (which in addition to sounding bad has like a 4 hour battery life) and ive never been happier woth my tone. plus with the metal muff you can use it as a clean overdrive.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Youll see what most people (including me) think about them if Search for them.

*to use the Search feature, look in the upper right hand corner of the page. Next, type in words of choice. EX: 'MT-2' or 'Metal Zone'. Now click "Go!" and enjoy the ride*
That will definitely work ^^. But in my opinion, all DigiTech distortion pedals produce a terrible tone, and I own a death metal, have a friend with DF-7 and the Metal Master, and they're all horrible. I love my Metal Zone though.
Get a Metal Muff by electro harmonix.
FlickR
iBanez Rg550 20th Anniversary.
iBanez GRG170DX W/ Dimarzio Steve's Special
VTM 60 Tube Head
Carvin Legacy Vai Cabinet 4x12 Cabinet
Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
ZW-44 Overdrive
Zakk Wylde Signiture Wah
The Metal Muff sucks. It's like a metal amp with the gain set to 1. It is weak as hell, even with the boost and using a guitar with EMGs. I also played it with the Dean DFH (Bill Lawrence L-500 in the bridge). Weak as hell.

The Metal Muff is for people who don't know about metal.
The Metal Zone is for people who play only in their bedrooms.
The Metal Master is for people who can't afford the prementioned 2.
uh if it sounded waek to you then you either had a broken one, didnt have it set up right, or had a problem somewhere else (amp, guitar , whatever) The Metal Muff is probably the highest gain non-botique pedal ive played that doesnt sound like total crap.

Last.fm
Quote by i_baked_cookies
The Metal Muff is for people who don't know about metal.
The Metal Zone is for people who play only in their bedrooms.
The Metal Master is for people who can't afford the prementioned 2.

Lol. The part about the Metal Zone may be true, I have only taken it out of my bedroom when I go over to friends houses, to play in their bedrooms/music rooms lol.
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
uh if it sounded waek to you then you either had a broken one, didnt have it set up right, or had a problem somewhere else (amp, guitar , whatever) The Metal Muff is probably the highest gain non-botique pedal ive played that doesnt sound like total crap.

I played it at a guitar center with a Jackson with the JB/59 Duncan combo through a solid state crate on the clean and a dual recoto on clean, with the gain on the pedal all the way up, mids scooped a bit, and a good deal of treble and bass.

WEAK.

Same with some Marshall combo (not the MG).

WEAK.

Seriously, I was so shocked I tired it again at the Guitar center nearer to me... same deal. Weak. I wanted to cry, cause that ended my search for a decent metal pedal.
that weird, mine has a lot of gain, i wouldnt be surpised if the batteries on the store models are low though, that really cuts out the gain, and also you really have to toy with eq, but i dont think it sounds weak at all. hell it has more gain than my old metal master.

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
that weird, mine has a lot of gain, i wouldnt be surpised if the batteries on the store models are low though, that really cuts out the gain, and also you really have to toy with eq, but i dont think it sounds weak at all. hell it has more gain than my old metal master.

I used the correct AC adapter when playing!
thats weird that you think it was weak, im wondering what youre comparing it too, because mine at least has a ****load of gain, and sounds a hell of a lot better than any other distortion pedal ive ever used and even some tube amps that ive used in the past.

Last.fm