Hi all! I'm new here though I participate often on many other guitar forums. Read a lot of your posts here about the little Epi Jr with the P-90...tried one out at GC yesterday and bought one online today. Was on the fence between this one and the '57 reissue in TV Yellow. No one has one to try out so I bought one of those too. Got $20 off for the cheaper one (MF store credit I demanded for their twice defective Blues Junior amps) and then $25 off coupon for the other one. Oh how I love cheap guitars! Thanks for your insights Xenn99!

P.S. You should try the P-90 Jr through Blues Jr or a Vox AD30VT (I have both). Sweet.
thats. . .cool. . .
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Congrats...but how did I help?

Be sure to write a couple of thorough reviews on them both!
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
umm yea i have to say epi lp juniors are a pretty pos guitars, they are plywood for one and the neck bows like a mother and the pickup is crappy and you cant intone the bridge, the tuners are'nt a high enough ratio to even think about staying in tune, so really all it has going for it is the nice finish, sorry dude you're better off with a squire...
Quote by sempri_fi
umm yea i have to say epi lp juniors are a pretty pos guitars, they are plywood for one and the neck bows like a mother and the pickup is crappy and you cant intone the bridge, the tuners are'nt a high enough ratio to even think about staying in tune, so really all it has going for it is the nice finish, sorry dude you're better off with a squire...

im pretty sure its a chick. . .

why buy two guitars at once????
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by sempri_fi

Actually, you're way off.

The Epi Jr. 90 is actually supposed to be a great guitar for $100. It's got a nice P-90 that doesn't need replacing, and I believe some are made with a mahogany body. Yes, it has a bolt on neck and the tuners aren't the best, but those are small issues. The bolt on neck is nothing - some people prefer them. The tuners can be replaced for $20-$30. After that small, small amount of work, you've got a great little backup guitar with a nice p-90. The bridge is a standard wraparound bridge, which I'd just like to point out is the traditional bridge for ALL Les Paul Juniors. And yes, they can be intonated.

As for the '57 Reissue, it's all mahogany with a set neck. It has Grover tuners already on it, and a standard wraparound bridge. It may not be honduran mahogany like vintage Jr.'s, but it's still mahogany. It also has a full thickness body. It should sound pretty close to a Gibson LP Jr., and I can guarantee you it won't be made of four or more scrap pieces like the Jr.'s Gibson is pushing out are.

I think she got two nice guitars and only spent a bit of money on them. She went and tried the Jr. 90 and loved it, and i'm sure she'll love the '57 RI as well.

Congrats on the guitars Bluesygirl
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Um, yeah it's a chick dude . Anyway Xenn is right. He did he research and provided a lot of great information on the 57 Jr. (And also by the way I do have two Squier Teles and two Squier Strats plus an Epi Dot.). Funny how a lot of people think having just one p90 pup is somehow a detriment. Not really. Ran it through the Blues Junior and with that amp you can get near Tele tone or even Beatles jangle if you play with the amp and tone pot controls. So what if the guitar is plywood and the tuners are crap? I dig making a cheap guitar sing. It's more of a challenge to me.

I'll give a report when they get here. Thanks again for everyone's comments in various threads. They really helped. (Even the naysayers!).

Xenn did you get your 57 yet? Better hurry before they're gone...Billie Jo played a TV yellow Jr on the Monday Night Football jam with U2 in New Orleans tonight...
^Nope, not yet. I'm still deciding between that, the Gibson version, and like 5 different Fenders...It's a tough decision.

When are you supposed to get them? I'm anxious to hear a real review of both!
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
ok, heres the thing i have one, and sorry about the girl/boy mixup bit, see its great at first but the guitar is constantly fighting the strings so it requires constant action/trussrod/intonation(yes you can change it but only for one side or the other) adjustment, i went out and bought a schecter omen-6 and threw burstbuckers in it and it plays a zillion times better than my lp junior, now that being said
if you get new tuners and throw in a tune-o-matic bridge(maby even a bigsby) and use .09 gadge strings then its a pretty good guitar, and for the price it isnt bad, definately not the worst by far but still you couldof bought a 200$ guitar and had alot more quality base to build your tone on.
^ Second.

Why would you buy two of the same guitars....why don't you take all of the money you're spending on these mostly crappy guitars and put it into a nice guitar that you can customize and add stuff too?
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
^Because a Jr. doesn't need anything added on to it.

Basically, she got the Jr. 90 for about $75. A p-90 pickup is $80, so I'd say she got a good deal there. A pickup with a free guitar attached to it.

And the '57 RI is supposed to be a great guitar for the price. The only negative thing I've heard about it is the p-100 pickup. Some people love it, some hate it. That's preference.

Personally, I think she got a good main guitar and a good backup for it as well.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I guess, if I was in the market for a P-90 I could see doing this, but I'm not so I don't think like that
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
I should have them both by the end of the week. Hey if I really don't like the P-100 I'll send it back. I'm not into modding stuff. I keep all my gear stock unless there is something that really needs fixing. I'm a busy doctoral student and don't have time to fiddle around pulling out this and replacing that. I primarily play for my own enjoyment and for breaks from writing and research.
Quote by Bluesygirl
I should have them both by the end of the week. Hey if I really don't like the P-100 I'll send it back. I'm not into modding stuff. I keep all my gear stock unless there is something that really needs fixing. I'm a busy doctoral student and don't have time to fiddle around pulling out this and replacing that. I primarily play for my own enjoyment and for breaks from writing and research.

I also have an Epi Jr and love it. It's just a fun guitar to play. The tone is awesome. I don't mod, so the guitar's gotta sound good and play well off the rack. This one did!!

It has it's own tone and playing with the tone knob yields cool results as someone else posted. Keeps tune fine on mine. Feels good!

Congratulations! And I could see getting another one in a different color as well. They're certainly inexpensive enough!!
I love inexpensive guitars myself. I have a few, they all have their individual feel, tone, etc. None are POS, I can make them all respond as I wish, and if it doesn't, I just put that one down, and pick up another. Variety IS the spice of life.
^My current main guitar is a $150 Washburn WI14 - cheap guitar, but pretty nice none the less. It will still be my main humbucker guitar for quite a while.

One of the best things is finding a great playing, great sounding cheap guitar. I'd like to try one of these LP Jr. 90's...for $100 I bet they're pretty nice.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
why doesnt the Jr. come in white? surely if its a Billy Joes sig it should be in the colour he displays all the time.
Try it through the Blues Jr.

And you should have found where they had both and tried them, not bought two haha, but whatever floats your big rock.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
I bought them each because I wanted them both. Since I have the money and since I'm busy and can't spend the time to drive to this place and that it's easier to have stuff shipped to try at home through my various amps. I can't wait to see if they sound as good through my Blues Jr as the P90 one did at the store. Also will a/b it through my Vox.
I don't understand why everyone associates the Les Paul Junior to Billie Joe Armstrong. The Les Paul Junior is NOT his signature guitar! It's a guitar that been around since about 20 years before he was even born.

Yes, I understand Green Day is popular, but come on. People should know that the Les Paul Junior has been a rock guitar for decades - not just the past couple years thanks to Billie Joe.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar