Hey guys, just wanted some help from anyone with experience using mixers. A friend just recently bought an 8 channel fairly decent mixer for our music project (wouldn't really call it a band at this stage)

anyhow I was wondering what the go is with feeding an amplified signal into a mixer. Is it a no go?

cheers in advance
Absinthe maketh the heart grow fonder
what do you mean "amplified signal"? like, running a guitar amp to the mixer? if that's it, then it's be better to mic it, rather than using the line out.
yah, that's what i meant by running a distorted guitar sound through to the mixer. reason being we're only limited to the one mic at the moment, which really comes in handy for vocals
eeh, i suppose you could use the line out on the amp (if it has one), just lower the volume on the amp and control it with the mixer. you should really invest in more mics, lest that one break, you'll have a backup. there's no problem with running a distorted guitar to the mixer. (how do you think all those metal bands recorded their stuff, computer mic?)

if you're doing it so it's guitar->distortion pedal->mixer, that might be a tad wonky, just be sure to cut the volume back.
I have an amp with effects and I use the line out to one of my inputs on the mixer. The mixer function allows you to control levels for mono/stereo. I do this all the time to pass a controlled volume to my recording software. My mixer line ins are passive. I have two mic inputs that are phantom powered and only use the xlr for my mics that need phantom power. Remember that input channels are just a way to organize inputs and control there volume levels. The input signal needs to be amplified in some way for a passive device to control volume. Do not add another level of amplification, this can create undesired sound and can potentially damage something, especially speakers. When using a mixer, be sure to always make sure levels are lowered before sending a signal.
"Expect the Unexpected"
Last edited by Stryker_66 at Sep 25, 2006,
thanks guys, we were just worried that something could blow, but yeah, keep the levels down and it should be right for now. Investing in mic's will come, the gear is just slowly being built up piece by piece, so we make do with what we have.

thanks again
^aye, a good idea if there ever was one, especially if you've got monitors.

where'd you get your mixer and how much did you pay for it? i've got a project myself and was wondering about mixers.
Quote by t3hrav3n

i've got a project myself and was wondering about mixers.

minimum of 3-BUS EQ if you want your recordings to sound decent
you might want to buy an outboard mic pre-amp also (a good one of course)
i know about them, i was just wondering where i could get a good deal on one
Understand that there are two (actually three or four) different levels of current involved. You've got line signal, and amplified signal. Amplified drives speakers and the such, and isn't very good when run through fragile electronics. So you wouldn't want to hook your headphone jack or a speaker out jack into your board (good way to blow both); but if you've got a line out, that runs an unamplified (or pre-amp only) line-level signal out of your amp. Guitars and (dyna) mics both work as analog generators to line level, or usually a very low line level -- that's where pre-amps come in, bringing up analog signal to full line level. Condenser mics are powered off the board, and don't need a pre-amp, as they're already juiced at line level.

So mics, instruments, and line-out->line-in on your board is good. Anything meant to drive an actual speaker ran into the board is likely going to let the magic smoke out.
Quote by les_kris
Corwinoid is God
I'm not even God-like... I've officially usurped the Almighty's throne.
Click here to worship me.

Member #3 of the Corwinoid Fan Club