Whats a good punk guitar? I'm thinking of something with single coils to give it that really crunchy distorted sound. Stuff like: The Ramones, Pennywise, Dead Kennedys etc. I'm not looking to spend more than $500.
Last edited by drop-dead666 at Sep 25, 2006,
Sg?
Quote by tubab0y
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar. If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

Check out Ibanez, and I also wouldnt limit myself to single coils
Quote by MeGaDeth2314
just stick something in the hole and wiggle it around until you feel something poking out then push it hard.

Quote by gallagher2006
I seriously cant begin to tell you how refreshing it is to get some briliiant help from this site for once!

Thats about me
well alot of those bands use gibsons so maybe a epiphone lespaul or try a squire bullet and pay for seymour duncan invader pickups
My gear:
Tom Delonge squire strat
fender princeton 650
danelectric p.o.s. peddle
mosrite guitars?
[answers the above question... i guess...]
Quote by tubab0y
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar. If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

Last edited by km-r at Sep 25, 2006,
Quote by drop-dead666
I was thinking about getting a G-400 and putting P-90's in it.

f*** ya, tahts what i got just gibson
MY GEAR

1967 gibson sg special (p-90's)

Crate Blue Voodoo 0212 2x12
Quote by crazydiamondII

hendrix was good but he did nothing to change popular music's path.
Hmmm...

How about a Fender Standard Telecaster?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Quote by km-r
mosrite guitars?
[answers the above question... i guess...]

i think johnny paid $50 for that guitar
MIM Strat? ohhh and liek that guy said above^^^ my tele sounds nice for punk. or if you want more of a cruch then an Epiphone. Or maybe an Agile AL-2000 + pup change. its all up to u.
[IMG]http://img398.imageshack.us/img398/9148/dawhip005jf4.jpg[/IMG]

Quote by SuperSamuraiGuy
Thanks for answering all my question ssguitar

JCM900 FOR SELL!
The guys in D.O.A. started off playing a guitar with half the neck broken off so it only had three strings.

Punk rock!

Anyway, try a black Telecaster. Stick a circle star logo on it and there you go, you are Joe Strummer.
no
Quote by deluxity
i think johnny paid $50 for that guitar

Yep, he went to a guitar shop with Dee Dee, payed something like $50 or $75 and then called Tommy, thats how the band started... Kinda. You can get custom-made Mosrite look-alikes in Aus called Wosrites, just google Tym Guitars.

Punk guitar? Well my dear friend, you can't exactly have a "punk" guitar, as many punk guitarists have chosen the guitar that just feels right. SG's are becoming more often in the pop-punk world because they are small, but my advice is that you don't pick one up. A smarter idea would be to purchase a Fender Telecaster, MIM (Slave labour is cheaper) due to the fact that it can handle punk and many other genre's, they also feel nice and produce a clean tone, Even though Tele's do sound abit more cleaner you could just get a distortion pedal, or you could just search around for a Telecaster with humbuckers second-hand. Even though Tele's do sound abit more cleaner you could just get a distortion pedal.

Another thing to do is just go to a few guitar shops and ask the guy "I'm looking for a new guitar, I've got $500 to spend and most of the songs I play are in the punk genre, like Dead Kennedys, Ramones, Sex Pistols and Pennywise".
Quote by TiMaRmStRoNg101
there was once this girl
in my school
and she was like
'greenday is so punk'

and i was all
omgelitist
'fawkofffffffffff'
and punched her in the face.
cause i can do that
cause I know more about punk rock and stuff
Last edited by CoolDudeMorgasm at Sep 26, 2006,
Quote by wellthen
well alot of those bands use gibsons so maybe a epiphone lespaul or try a squire bullet and pay for seymour duncan invader pickups

Are you high?! Those bands used single coils to begin with and a Squier Bullet with an Inavnder would be horrible.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
depends on what tone youre looking for, most british punk bands used guitars with humbuckers (though a notabe exception is joe strummer of the clash who used a tele) and as for those Ventures Mosrites like the one Johnny Ramone used, t\a real one will set you back 3 grand (theres one in my local vintage guitar shop its actually only 2 grand but its completely beat to hell)

and yeah invaders will sound awful, not matter what you do with them.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
^Especially in a Squier Bullet (plywood guitar :puke

Well true, but the bands he mentioned (Rmaones, Dead Kenendys) used singel coils (Johnny Ramones had amini hubmucker in the neck of his Mosrite though, but he never actully used it, he even rewired it off.

I think a JR Elit from Eastwood might be good:
www.eastwoodguitars.com
pwww.myrarevintageguitars.com has low prices on them.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

well you should probably get an amp....
but if your sure you need a guitar, have oyu tryed looking up those band's gear ....its bound to be on the internet somewhere...
Caution:
May cause death if user is an idiot.
Well the JR Elite from Eastwood has a single coil in the bridge and a humbucker in the nekc and shoudl do great for punk!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Yeah but its a bit out of my price range. I mainly play metal but I have a passion for punk because Johnny Ramone is what made me want to start guitar. The JR Elite is a bit out of my price range but its perfect. But are there any more suggestions?

How about the Stormbird from Eastwood guitars?
Its made out of Basswood and from what I've read that Johnny's guitar is made out of Basswood, it has a set of P-90's in it. Set neck makes it even better, loving the shape. In my price range, $399.
Last edited by drop-dead666 at Sep 26, 2006,
^Looks nice! Im thinking about getting a Stormbird as a P-90 guitar later on. You could always put a Mini humbucker in the neck if you wnat humbucker sounds!
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

The conclusive guide to finding your perfect punk guitar.

1. go to your local pawn shop.
2. buy what you find there.
3. ???
4. PUNK.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
SO...I dont have a local guitar shop here. Should I change my epi les paul standart for a MiM Fender Telecaster?
No Signature
But...It sounds too agressive for me...Im looking for a more chunky sound...
No Signature
Quote by Bensimon
But...It sounds too agressive for me...Im looking for a more chunky sound...

You can't get a chunky sound FROM A LES PAUL?!?!

Too aggressive for punk?

Um...do you even know what the hell punk music is? Real punk?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Oh man. Holy god. I play pop punk, My les paul sounds like im playing metallica.
No Signature
Well, you can go either way really, a les paul would be great, I mean look

Joe Strummer-telecaster 77 punk king

Steve Jones-les paul custom 77 punk king

Johnny Ramone-Mosrite 77 punk king

punk=whatever the hell guitar you feel like
Quote by Bensimon
Oh man. Holy god. I play pop punk, My les paul sounds like im playing metallica.

that sounds more like a problem with your amp than a problem with your guitar. And more specifically, if your guitar tone is like mettalicas, you need to turn your mids up.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Sep 26, 2006,