hey guys, long time lurker here and just now decided to start posting

i'm in the market to get a new guitar and amp, and ive got my choices narrowed down to a couple, but can't really decide- the amp im pretty set on, but the guitar is proving to be a hassle deciding which one to get

i play harder forms of punk and hardcore, melodic (comeback kid or earlier rise against and propagandhi) as well as metalcore (as i lay dying and all that remains type stuff) but thing is, i don't like strat-style bodies (or bolt-on necks, even though a well built bolt on is on par or better than a set neck). i also would like to have a trem, and 24 frets if possible, but it doesnt really matter.

guitars i have narrowed down to these-

JACKSON RR3- not sure about this one because of the lfr as opposed to ofr, and im worried about high fret access with the bolt-on, but sam totman from dragonforce used this guitar, so i dunno

mainly im not sure about if it will get what i want tone-wise, because alder is apparently a bright sounding wood and the jb is a bright sounding p/up

JACKSON DKMG DINKY- im a bit worried the emg's will be too aggressive for me, because i like to play some clean stuff once in a while too. again, bolt on, and also- strat-ish body NO ME GUSTA!!!!!!

IBANEZ ICEMAN IC400- sam totman's new guitar! (i have a slight grudge against ibanez due to a bad experience in me earlier days). my main beef with this guitar is the fact that it has no trem, or 24 frets. also not sure what p/ups i should put in it if i want to switch....how's playability on this one? fast neck?

IBANEZ RGT42- a neck-thru rg, basically. how does this compare to the other three in terms of playability, hows the tremolo arm? this one looks very good feature-wise, but i really don't like the body style (looks too much like a strat)

Amps-

ashdown fallen angel 40- high gain at a budget price, or so i've been told. not sure if tone-wise it's too bassy or anything

randall rg50tc- feature wise is very good, but i hear the distortion isnt that great so i might get an od pedal or something

i'm going to guitar center sometime next week to try these out, i just want a pre-idea of what to expect.

thanks people, i know this is a bit of a long post
have u thought about a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe?
Quote by Metal-X
But last time I cranked my amp up. A small bird flew by at the same time I did a pinch harmonic.... and it exploded....

Too Late
I would snag the RR3 and replace the bridge with an OFR. You can direct swap it and you can get an OFR off Ebay for about 150 bucks. The ashdwon is pretty good, but I would REALLY try to swing a used Peavy 5150 off of Ebay. The 5150 SCREAMS medalcore/hardcore and would be the perfect amp for what you're looking for. You can usually find the combos on ebay for about 500-700ish give or take. Best thing though, just try out stuff man. Buy what you like. Also, EMG's wouldn't be overpowered, if you can only get a HH guitar go for a 60 in the neck if you get a HSH you can put an SA in the middle.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
nah, not really looking for a hrd because i hear their distortion is very weak compared to what i want

5150 a bit too much, not sure if i can find a good deal used, though i would like one because i hear theyre amazing

deciding the guitar is still difficult....its a tough call between any of them, but i hear the rgt's tremolo is less than desirable, so i coudl go for the fixed bridge version of that

any more thoughts on the rr3?
It's a great guitar besides the Floyd, and as said above you can direct swap it for an amazing trem ! I really would save, save, save to get a 5150 man. Guitars are guitars, but an amp will make or break the tone for a good rig. The 5150 is a maker!
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
not a big fan of deans, sorry...lol

another new option is the ibanez s470...i know the bolt on with this one has great upper fret access, but i think it looks kinda quirky with the squiggly inlays, and only 22 frets (but hey, herman li manages pretty well)

opinions?
is the ibanez a rgt42 or a rgt42dx?
Quote by unplugtheradio

i dub thee, Knight of Asskickery.

that is amazing

Quote by human-blasphamy
i like my nether regions shaved down till there soft as a babys ass. Cause thats where there going.

The Day Cas Pwnd UG.
Quote by Alreddyded
0mgz Br00tal Gh0st!11!11
rgt42dx, i think. i hear the edge ii trem isnt that great so i might go for fixed bridge

anybody play the s470's?
^s470's are good, but get the older models, since the QC is a little dodgey.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
I don't know what to tell you about the guitars man but, i can tell you that the EMG 85 in the neck position of my hellraiser has beautiful sparkling cleans. I am a little biased toward Jacksons but, more so toward bolt on necks. I do have a Charvell bolt on that owns though i prefer neck through or set neck. check out the Schecter gryphon and the Damien fr. There are also some decent ESP's for less. I like the Randy rhoads too but, Jackson doesn't make them to his specs at all. He used a full King V not that shark fin design they have but, i have heard good things about the higher end models.
Oh a good idea of what to expect is GC will haggle with you and make you think you got a deal by giving you partialy destroyed yet cleverly masked equipment.

They like to give you the fastest gun in the west routine so be watchful....all served with a smile.

I usualy fare well there but, i have to recheck everything and make sure it's worth the cost. I did get my Shecter hellraiser for 100 bucks less than sale price....no case though which was promised.
Quote by aznrockerdude
^s470's are good, but get the older models, since the QC is a little dodgey.

eh? whats qc? do you mean the quilt top?

yeah i generally hear that the s470 (and s470dxqm) are pretty amazing, features wise theyre very good and playability is amazing, but to me i dunno they just look a bit bland....inlays weird and body style in general

how about the rgt42dx series? if i go this way, im probably going the way of the fixed bridge, but nobodys really explained to me why the trem is bad

still seriously considering the rr3.....mostly still worried about the bolt on and fret access

thanks for the replies btw
Quote by aequitasveritas
eh? whats qc? do you mean the quilt top?

yeah i generally hear that the s470 (and s470dxqm) are pretty amazing, features wise theyre very good and playability is amazing, but to me i dunno they just look a bit bland....inlays weird and body style in general

how about the rgt42dx series? if i go this way, im probably going the way of the fixed bridge, but nobodys really explained to me why the trem is bad

still seriously considering the rr3.....mostly still worried about the bolt on and fret access

thanks for the replies btw

No, QC = quality control.
If you really are going for an RGT42DX, don't get the tremolo model, it will crap on you. If you want a mahogany bodied RG, get an RG520, way better trem.

Fret access on the rr3 won't THAT bad, it's not like a LP.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
yeah, lol sam totman played an rr3 pretty much stock so i imagine it wouldnt be that bad

i guess the only way for me to really decide will be to go to gc and check them out
Id say rr3, upper fret access is fine, stock pickups are very versatile

though i have heard lots of good things about the ibanez rg
"We could only wonder what he would have accomplished is his life hadn't ended so early"

----Randy Rhoads----
The new RR3's with a JB/Jazz set up, not the Duncan Detonators(crappier Invaders), would be good but the trem. honestly isn't that great. It says in tune okay but it barely gets out of tune when you use the trem too much. I'd get it and change the LFR to an OFR or the Ibanez S470, its what I'm thinking about for my next guitar. The S470's trem is supposed to be an better than the Edge and OFR, I've heard, I saw a video and this guy used the crap out of it and it sayed in perfect tune so that'd be cheaper than the RR3.
SPAM
Stock Gibson Pickups from a 2005 V, I think they're a 498T and 500T set FS/FT
Duncan Distortion (regular spaced) FS

Looking for: an acoustic, recording gear, or $