I'm looking at possibly getting a Les Paul Junior. I'm looking at the Gibson version for $750 or the Epiphone '57 Reissue Les Paul Junior for $300.

Now, both are mahogany (neither specify the type of mahogany used), both have set necks, and both have similar hardware.

My question is this; If I were to buy the Epiphone '57 RI and replace the p100 pickup it has with a Gibson p90, would it sound really close in quality to the Gibson LP Jr.?

I know, I know - Epi vs. Gibson has been done over and over, and I'm not looking for this thread ot become one of those arguments. I'm just asking if replacing the pickup on the '57 RI Jr. would make it sound CLOSE to the Gibson version. I know it may not sound quite as good, but if I can save $400 and only lose a little quality, that's fine with me.

Also, will the number of pieces of wood the body of the guitar is made out of affect anything? The Gibson LP Jr.'s seem to be made of 3 or more pieces each, while I believe the Epi's are made of two. Will that be a noticeable difference, or not really?
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic
Marshall MG100HDFXR Special Edition
Marshall MG412AR Special Edition

Quote by Danno13
^Xenn is my favorite MG owner EVAR.

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
Going on pure hearsay, they're the same damn thing. One has Gibson on the headstock, which they deem to be worth 700 bucks.

Go with Epi. You may not even have to swtich the pup.
Yea go with the Epi, it's not worth the extra for Gibson on the 'stock.
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Go with the Epi and then get yourself a new amp man, you desverse something better then the MG!
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
EVERYONE deserves something better than an MG!
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
Quote by Gabel
Go with the Epi and then get yourself a new amp man, you desverse something better then the MG!

Yeah, yeah...after I get my new guitar (or guitars...) I'll go for a new amp. I'm thinking a Marshall DSL 50 halfstack. Either that, or I'll save and go for an Orange or something.

I'm really thinking about this guitar now...I love Jr.'s and have wanted one since I first saw it. This one certainly seems to fit the bill.

Now, just to decide between TV yellow and Vintage Sunburst....
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar
I would say it could be different, but hardly noticable - remember, Epiphone also use less quality electronics.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
^That's a cheap and easy fix though. It only has a tone and volume control, so it wouldn't be very expensive to replace at all. If anything, I could have it done if I replace the pickup. Even then it wouldn't cost as much as the Gibson.
My Gear:

Washburn WI14 Electric
Washburn D10s Acoustic

Quote by Danno13

Quote by jj1565
^ Xenn fav MG user evar