Can anyone give me some tips? I dont know how everyone can play standing up without hurting their wrists and stuff when they need to palm mute and all that **** and Im pissed off because it puts strain on my left wrist and the hell I want any long term problems.
i don't have a problem playing standing up. maybe try adjusting your strap? if its too far down or too high it could maybe cause some problems.
Quote by l2p_Guitar
i don't have a problem playing standing up. maybe try adjusting your strap? if its too far down or too high it could maybe cause some problems.

Yeh, that's what I am afraid of. I dont know what's wrong, I have adjusted the strap so many times. It could be the wait of my guitar causing me to put more strength in my left wrist because I have to hold it up a bit.

I dont know.
you shouldn't really be holding any of the weight of the guitar with your left, that would make it extremely difficult to play(but yes, your left should be kind of supporting the neck, but not holding it). I'm not quite sure how else to help, cuz when I play standing up it is 100 times easier.
I'm the dream unicorn! The young machetes guide my path through forests of burning orange trees, but protect me from the cloud eating coconut eyed monsters that live in the bushes.
I actually have an easier time playing standing up, my arm gets tired sitting down. The weight of the guitar should be on your leg and on your shoulders you shouldn't have to hold the guitar with your left hand at all besides your thumb on the back of the neck.
just practice standing up when you play/jam around and you wil get used to it

-b@man
yeh I had the same prob with my ibanez, was never comfortable at all standing up
but when i got my rhoads, stopped havin those probs... also try tilting your neck up a bit that might help
As it has already been said, you shouldn't be holding any of the weight of the guitar with your left hand. If that's happening then you are doing something wrong.

Try to play with the guitar higher up your chest. That should make your left wrist movement easier and more comfortable. Try to find the position where it feels most comfortable.

If it is your right hand that is hurting, then it is probably because you are wearing your guitar at floor height and you are bending your right wrist horribly.

Other than that, it just comes down to practice.
the way i got used to it was i adjusted my strap so when i stood with my guitar it would be a lil lower than my breast area. the gradually over 2 weeks put it lower and lower until it was at a normal length and it felt natural.
Quote by Mistress_Ibanez

I used to hate chavs until my sister got a smack in the mouth from one. Now I love them.
Quote by x X t o c z.
the way i got used to it was i adjusted my strap so when i stood with my guitar it would be a lil lower than my breast area. the gradually over 2 weeks put it lower and lower until it was at a normal length and it felt natural.

+1

Road to sucess.
Member #8 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
give it time man...when i first started playing i only played sitting....and when i tried standing i couldnt do it.....but i kept at it and now its the only way i play
yer keep at it. something i do is learn stuff sitting, and practice stuff standing.
Marty
Everyones pretty much already covered your problem, just adjust the strap to your comfort. i like mine somewhat high, like the strings will be over my belly button. my friend likes his low, like the strings over his uhhh.... yeah. after you get the guitar at a comfortable height, play around with where the strap sits on your shoulder. i like mine to be close to the neck, so the neck is actually at an angle. i cant even play single notes if the neck is completely straight. but maybe you can. i dunno where your wrist is getting pain from palm muting, maybe its just your position. the only part of me that ever gets tired of guitar is my brain. the overdrive is ijust too insane for me sometimes! lol.
Quote by DementedHippie
you shouldn't really be holding any of the weight of the guitar with your left, that would make it extremely difficult to play(but yes, your left should be kind of supporting the neck, but not holding it). I'm not quite sure how else to help, cuz when I play standing up it is 100 times easier.

Thats so right.
try playing with your fretting hand thumb held well away from the neck, you will soon find the balance and it also shows you how much pressure you need to exert on your fingers.