i dont know what it is, put i just cannot get my fingers to sweep pick clearly and fluidly (sp?). ive been playing for roughly 6 or 7 years and its been bothering me how i cant get it right. any one have any pointers or online lessons? any help would be much appriciated
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Ibanez SZ, RG w/ Dimarzio Super Distortion and PAF Pro
Marshall JCM2000 head 1960 Cab
and many pedals...

www.adamcutrone.com
^i make art
Dude, I might've well had made this thread because I'm in the same boat. I've even found online tutorials but I don't get it.
Start the sweep arpeggio or whatever the shape is as stupidly slow as you can... so slow that you want to cry. Now the most important thing at this step is to make sure you aren't picking the notes individually, but passing through the strings with your pick in a perfect SWEEP motion. Do this so damn slow for a long time until your pick hand gets used to this action. Make sure to keep your fretting hands fluency and skills in tune during the exercise as well. Once, and only once you can do the sweep motion perfectly at an horrifingly slow speed, very gradually increase speed. Once you start to slip, slow down a bit and practice.

This is not something you learn in a week, or a month. The very nature of sweep picking demands absolute precision and coordination from both hands. It's a whole different way of playing the guitar. Practice and time always make perfect.

Edit - also, when you start your first sweep pick at a very slow speed, do a 3 string sweep... Then once you can do those at a decent pace, you are ready for 4 strings and 5 strings and 6 strings and 7 strings if you're Jeff Loomis or 8 if you are that asshole Rusty Cooley.
I found that when I started to learn sweep picking, learning the sweep pick 'motion' was easier with 5 strings. This is only my preference though. Once you get the basic 'motion' and coordination, playing on any number of strings is easy! It just takes alot of practice.
sweet thanks alot bro, it was so frustrating because i was able to pick up tapping quickly and run with it, but this is a whole different ballpark. i would start going slow and just try to kick it up to high gear within a few hours. thanks for the pointers
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Ibanez SZ, RG w/ Dimarzio Super Distortion and PAF Pro
Marshall JCM2000 head 1960 Cab
and many pedals...

www.adamcutrone.com
^i make art
Concentrate on lifting one finger from a played note exactly as you fret the next note. When sweeping up (towards the wound strings), this is less of a neccessity becuase the finger fretting the next note can easily mute the last string by barreing slightly across the strings.
Schecter C-1 Classic (Antique Amber)
Ibanez JEM 7VWH
Crate Palamino Class A tube combo
Digitech RP80 Multieffects pedal
Ibanez TS9 DX Tube Screamer
sweep picking, like speed building and learning tapping, SUCKS. Nothing you can really do but sit through hours and hours of constant boring practice drills. If there was an easier way, everyone would be able to do it.
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail